PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer hangs on installation

joehaffey
December 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hey all,

Linux newbie here. I tried to install ibex on a 6gb hard drive: 4gb for ubuntu, 2gb for the swap file. It got part of the way through and once the desktop came up, the computer just hangs. I let it sit overnight and it still hung. So I figured the 6gb disk was too small and tried to install on a 20gb disk: 15gb for ubuntu, 5gb for the swap file. The same thing happens with the 20gb disk. Now I have two disks that won't boot the system. Help!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Joe
joehaffey2003@yahoo.com

Bartender
December 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
joe -
You should edit your post and remove your email. If someone wants to contact you outside of the forum's public give-and-take, they can use the Private Message option.

How old is this PC? How much RAM? Did you follow the usual instructions for burning the install CD? Did you check it for errors? Has this PC been laying in a closet for months or years? Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced? Have you opened it up and cleaned out the dirt? Have you inspected the motherboard for blown capacitors? Was this PC running Windows just fine before you tried to install Ubuntu? Have you tried to install with the alternate install CD?

joehaffey
December 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Bartender,

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the etiquette lesson. I think the problem is not enough memory. Also, a fellow user said I might have to nuke my hard drive because I was running windows.

I will try to decipher the output of dmesg | tail. If you know of any tuts I'd appreciate it if you could give me the links. Thanks again.

Joe