PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia kicked out of the home gaming market?

Ylon
December 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
As you may know, nvidia make GPU for Sony's PS3 and Nintendo Wii
Also , Xbox 360 were delivered with ATI

Meanwhile IBM make CPU for both Xbox, PS3 and Wii (lot of $$ for IBM)

But seems things are changing with next generation console.

Microsoft "confirm" ATI, meanwhile PS3 seem interested in Intel stuff (and, so far I know, this would allow Intel enter in the game). Well, I noticed this: I am wrong of if Sony confirm goes Intel the Nvidia will kicked out? (they don't make stuff for anyone else, and Nintendo doesn't look interested in nvidia powerfull GPUs)

This is particularly interesting due a strange combination of names: the only "gaming for masses" market remain for Nvidia will be the desktop.... and the one which grant you stay in this game is called Microsoft.

Looks like that if something will go wrong in the DirectX 12 Microsoft will lost little share on PC-Desktop Gaming.. but their place with Xbox make the "sacrifice" affordable since one competitors (yes, I know that Nvidia isn't a direct competitor) shutdown. :guitar:

Switch to Linux Nvidia! Before it's too late :lolflag:

Excedio
December 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Sources?

NoaHall
December 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
You know, the Xbox graphics aren't great. Not at all. Nothing near it.

Anyway, the way things are looking - ATI are set to get greater power due to AMD buying them - check out the specs for AMD's next CPU's, and see how much is put into working faster with ATI cards. nvidia's next card super-card, not much has been said about it, only that it won't be available to home-machines(much)

Seq
December 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Also , Xbox 360 were delivered with ATI

Meanwhile IBM make CPU for both Xbox, PS3 and Wii (lot of $$ for IBM)

Minor note: The Wii is an ATI "Hollywood" chip, so only the PS3 ships an nvidia GPU at the moment.

Ylon
December 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Sources?

No sources, only voice. The most insistent is this sony loss of interest in nvidia (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/136453,intel-beats-nvidia-to-the-ps4-gpu.aspx) in favor of Intel's GPU.
And Sony is the only delivering nvidia graphics in home entrainment consoles.

Minor note: The Wii is an ATI "Hollywood" chip, so only the PS3 ships an nvidia GPU at the moment.

Yes, thanks for the notes, I was aware of that.. I did just lost composing paragraph/grammar and looking for sources (to be really sure Nvidia only link was with Sony.. and Sony is going to break that link)

Ylon
December 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
You know, the Xbox graphics aren't great. Not at all. Nothing near it.

Anyway, the way things are looking - ATI are set to get greater power due to AMD buying them - check out the specs for AMD's next CPU's, and see how much is put into working faster with ATI cards. nvidia's next card super-card, not much has been said about it, only that it won't be available to home-machines(much)

You talking about the first Xbox (it was with Nvidia GPU, but Microsoft left Nvidia in favor of ATI with 360), right?

NoaHall
December 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
You talking about the first Xbox (it was with Nvidia GPU, but Microsoft left Nvidia in favor of ATI with 360)

No. I'm talking about the ATI chip in the 360. It is old, and sucks. Any modern on-board graphics chip on a motherboard will easily beat it.

Zoot7
December 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
No. I'm talking about the ATI chip in the 360. It is old, and sucks. Any modern on-board graphics chip on a motherboard will easily beat it.
I think it's the equivalent of the old Radeon 2000 series, not really up to much these days.

n0glu3
December 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The 360 has great graphics!

JayKay3000
December 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Competition grows innovation.

Gfx look the same @ max rez no matter what is inside.

markbuntu
December 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Nvidia got into a lot of trouble with OEMs for all the bad hardware it made for years and covered up. It cost the OEMs a lot of money in warranty claims and reputation for faulty hardware. People do not see nvidia on the box, just the OEM name and that is the one that suffers from something like this. Now nvidia is paying the price.

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I think it's the equivalent of the old Radeon 2000 series, not really up to much these days.

Yes, exactly my point. The PS3 one, is much better. The XBOX 360 is a old machine nowdays.

Ylon
December 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I don't think is ATI fault. After all Microsoft did was call ATI and order the "engine" they need for. If you (MS) are likely to pay for an "f. fiesta" engine... well, is improbable that ATI will send you "f. GTX1" one. Microsoft plan, is to cut prices in order to beat the "famous one" (playstation 1 and 2).

In the end, I don't think that the power is eerything: do you remeber the difference between psx first games with the newly tekken saga (all on the same hardware)?
The Software Houses are the one which had to impress kids. The main target for MS was, indeed, put many xbox (make it cheap) in many homes possible as quick possible: to attract interest from S/H rather kids enjoyment.

Do you prefer develop a game for a hypercool console in 10 house (10 game copies sold) or for the fairly common console in 100 (100 game copies sold)?

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't think is ATI fault. After all Microsoft did was call ATI and order the "engine" they need for. If you (MS) are likely to pay for an "f. fiesta" engine... well, is improbable that ATI will send you "f. GTX1" one. Microsoft plan, is to cut prices in order to beat the "famous one" (playstation 1 and 2).

In the end, I don't think that the power is eerything: do you remeber the difference between psx first games with the newly tekken saga (all on the same hardware)?
The Software Houses are the one which had to impress kids. The main target for MS was, indeed, put many xbox (make it cheap) in many homes possible as quick possible: to attract interest from S/H rather kids enjoyment.

Do you prefer develop a game for a hypercool console in 10 house (10 game copies sold) or for the fairly common console in 100 (100 game copies sold)?

I didn't blame anyone. All I said is that it's a old chip - which it is, and it's not very good - which is isn't. Like I said, any on-board graphics card on motherboards easily beat it.

Marvin666
December 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Seeing how they sync up ati and amd, it seems kinda weird my laptop has an intel cpu, with ati graphics installed.

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
speculation, nothing more.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Nintendo has used ATi since the Gamecube. You can even look on the console, it says ATi on them.

Anyways, Nvidia will continue to dominate the Workstation and High Performance Computing (HPC) market for years to come. The Tesla is nearly impossible to beat for the clocks it gives you for the size. Combine that with their Quadro lines, they're a tough competitor.

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Nintendo has used ATi since the Gamecube. You can even look on the console, it says ATi on them.

Anyways, Nvidia will continue to dominate the Workstation and High Performance Computing (HPC) market for years to come. The Tesla is nearly impossible to beat for the clocks it gives you for the size. Combine that with their Quadro lines, they're a tough competitor.

I love my quadro.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I love my quadro.
Same.

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Same.

But I am looking into the new ATI cards for my next gaming upgrade.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
But I am looking into the new ATI cards for my next gaming upgrade.
I still have an ATi 4850. Plan to upgrade to the 5000 series this next year.

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I still have an ATi 4850. Plan to upgrade to the 5000 series this next year.

Two 285 GTX in SLI, atm(I think, might be 295, not at home, so can't check). I might get a 6000 series when they come out(whenever). Or maybe 5970, save costs.

jeyaganesh
December 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
People also talking about console-free games in near future. We will play games just through internet! :)