PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Monkey Theorem

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Now I know that "almost surely" is a mathematical term and the "monkey" is not actually a Monkey, but I saw a comic strip taped to a wall at the Math department at the University I attend and it stated...the internet has disproved this theory! :lolflag:

Okay! well actually the comic strip played a bit of a twist on the Infinite Monkey Theorem and changed it to if a Million Monkeys hit keys at random on keyboards for an infinite amount of time they would almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare;...the internet has disproved this!

I'm not sure which comic it was but it is hilarious.:P

KeLa
December 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
That's easy to prove accurate, just when the monkey have hit at least once on each key there is all letters and numbers and punctuation marks what Shakespeare used so just read those letters in right order:)

fromthehill
December 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
the problem with monkeys is that they'll probably only keep hitting the same key :P

jayze
December 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
:popcorn:yep! landed on my feet here right enough!....sanity at last lol!:lolflag:

RiceMonster
December 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I've had my monkeys typing for 10 years and they STILL haven't written me Shakespeare! I want a refund!

Maheriano
December 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
You calling me a monkey?

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
You calling me a monkey?
Quit talking, keep tying.

Maheriano
December 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Quit talking, keep tying.

iopbio'jiopuovopioaefbip
aef[ opaef peb o[
efopasbvjiopjwropjkvfbvpab joneargip jerpkiasopj adfgjiop dfglj df[p
\asd gj]op dfg p\[ase o adrgo[ase fj]opdrjiopergf j erg ijop4h 45q890 g0et9u g9[4huegvb9-hj abgvpk 35wtj]g]aejbv 340gtj]0bhju3q
\9 gjuta]
w9-gftu a39-4gt=0q3gh80q3[gf0vas[0f e0-wu2490ftq[gjuhy890w46890hyuw4]9-g ]ae-g 9zxdFerp
gt5gtuweiojv

Excedio
December 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
iopbio'jiopuovopioaefbip
aef[ opaef peb o[
\asd gj]op dfg p\[ase o adrgo[ase fj]opdrjiopergf j erg ijop4h 45q890 g0et9u g9[4huegvb9-hj abgvpk 35wtj]g]aejbv 340gtj]0bhju3q
\9 gjuta]
w9-gftu a39-4gt=0q3gh80q3[gf0vas[0f e0-wu2490ftq[gjuhy890w46890hyuw4]9-g ]ae-g 9zxdFerp
gt5gtuweiojv

I think he just type part of Moby ****!!

KeLa
December 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I think he just type part of Moby ****!!
You're right, we just don't know what cipher he used. :popcorn:

NoaHall
December 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
iopbio'jiopuovopioaefbip
aef[ opaef peb o[
\9 gjuta]
gt5gtuweiojv

That ain't no shakespear! You want me to lock you in the cellar again!

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
the problem with monkeys is that they'll probably only keep hitting the same key :P

In 2003, lecturers and students from the University of Plymouth MediaLab Arts course used a £2,000 grant from the Arts Council to study the literary output of real monkeys. They left a computer keyboard in the enclosure of six Celebes Crested Macaques in Paignton Zoo in Devon in England for a month, with a radio link to broadcast the results on a website. One researcher, Mike Phillips, defended the expenditure as being cheaper than reality TV and still "very stimulating and fascinating viewing".[1]
Not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five pages[29] consisting largely of the letter S, the lead male began by bashing the keyboard with a stone, and the monkeys continued by urinating and defecating on it. The zoo's scientific officer remarked that the experiment had "little scientific value, except to show that the 'infinite monkey' theory is flawed". Phillips said that the artist-funded project was primarily performance art, and they had learned "an awful lot" from it. He concluded that monkeys "are not random generators. They're more complex than that. … They were quite interested in the screen, and they saw that when they typed a letter, something happened. There was a level of intention there."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

iopbio'jiopuovopioaefbip
aef[ opaef peb o[
\9 gjuta]
gt5gtuweiojv

:lolflag:

Marvin666
December 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Eureka! I've done it!
With some tuna, and the compression algorithm I made, I can get cats to type many popular books. Unfortunately, it is a one way algorithm.
Complete works of shakespear:
x
Moby ****:
Q
1000 leagues under the sea:
;
Treasure Island:
&

Scruffynerf
December 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Well, I've never seen anything approaching shakespeare yet on Usenet, or in irc logs...

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well, I've never seen anything approaching shakespeare yet on Usenet, or in irc logs...
maybe they don't have the right kind of monkeys? :P

sdowney717
December 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
a wild thought came to me, this seems to boil down to those who think humans are advanced forms of monkeys and those who say no to evolutionary ideas. Just what are these people trying to prove by testing out this idea? Are you happy about money spent on this type of thing?

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
a wild thought came to me, this seems to boil down to those who think humans are advanced forms of monkeys and those who say no to evolutionary ideas. Just what are these people trying to prove by testing out this idea? Are you happy about money spent on this type of thing?

the artist-funded project was primarily performance arthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

As a Fine Art Major, I would have to say yes.

Also remember the Monkey is a metaphor.

the yawner
December 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah. How many monkeys would it need to write a hello world program in any language?

MasterNetra
December 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned you can wait forever for a monkey to accidentally type shakespear or you can teach him how to read & write then give him a book with shakespear and have him type something from it. I would think that would take less time then the accidental approach but hey what do I know, I'm just a thinker. :p

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned you can wait forever for a monkey to accidentally type shakespear or you can teach him how to read & write then give him a book with shakespear and have him type something from it. I would think that would take less time then the accidental approach but hey what do I know, I'm just a thinker. :pThe Infinite Monkey Theorem is primarily a math problem it really doesn't have anything to do with monkeys.