PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Qt4 is the best toolkit in the world?

hoppipolla
December 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry, I know I'm asking this on a forum with a slight Gnome preference, I would ask it on a Kubuntu/KDE forum but they're much quieter ofc and I don't know as many people there!

So what do you think? Is Qt4 the best toolkit ever made by man?

Hoppi :)

Tibuda
December 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
No. I think the modern Linux toolkits (Qt and Gtk+) are both very good. What really makes a difference is how they are used by the applications. I tend to prefer Gtk+ apps, but there are exceptions like VLC.

RiceMonster
December 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I haven't done much programming with either toolkit, so I won't give a real answer to that question. Qt seems better than Gtk, but Like I said though, I'm not really in a position to make that statement.

Xbehave
December 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I haven't done much programming with either toolkit, so I won't give a real answer to that question. Qt seems better than Gtk, but Like I said though, I'm not really in a position to make that statement.
+1 i have done some basic apps with qt and i liked it but, i haven't done anything with gtk+ so while i prefer qt apps i can't really comment on the toolkit

nrs
December 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Best toolkit in the world? One of the best certainly, but the best? I don't know. Best cross-platform toolkit? Yes, I think so. Hands down.

squilookle
December 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
If Carlsberg made a Toolkit, it would probably be the best toolkit in the world...

That aside, I don't think it matters too much. There are good and not so good apps using each.

lykwydchykyn
December 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
"Best" is not a useful way to rank, well, anything. For my needs, I've not found a better one. Tried wxWidgets and GTK, but QT4 rocks them both for me.

My biggest gripe with QT4 though is that it seems intrinsically C++ oriented. I primarily work in Python, and it's a pain to have to deal with the clashes between QT data types and python data types or use signatures. I get tired of having to figure out if a function or method requires a QString, and of course the methods for QString are totally different from the methods for unicode. I hear QT/Nokia is coming up with its own set of Python bindings, maybe it'll be better than PyQT in that regard.

PyGTK seems more natural, but I don't like the event handling. Signals + Slots is great.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Qt4 is great. As is GTK. However, my personal favorite is ETK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment_Foundation_Libraries), with Elementary (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary).

Lightweight, smooth animations. Easy to build, fun to play with.

mivo
December 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
So three of the four choices are "Yes", "Yes" and "Yes, soon"? :)

SuperSonic4
December 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I know I'm asking this on a forum with a slight Gnome preference, I would ask it on a Kubuntu/KDE forum but they're much quieter ofc and I don't know as many people there!

So what do you think? Is Qt4 the best toolkit ever made by man?

Hoppi :)

I think you're being too charitable, a slight GNOME preference...

unknownPoster
December 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
So three of the four choices are "Yes", "Yes" and "Yes, soon"? :)

Of course, this isn't biased at all. :P

days_of_ruin
December 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM

The third option is completely brain dead. Any toolkit could be the best in "the future".

juancarlospaco
December 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Tk ftw
:)

OutOfReach
December 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
In terms of programming, I find Qt better to work with (IMO).
In terms of graphics capabilities (aesthetics), Qt wins me over (IMO).

Xbehave
December 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
let me FOX the current stats
Yes, 9 (27%)
Yes, (of the ones they've used.) 13 (39%)
It will be in the future!11 (33%)
No. 18 (55%)

as you can see 99% approval rating. It's interesting how there are 18 no votes yet the vast majority of the posts somewhat agree with OP (personally i haven't voted because i don't feal I've given gtk a fair shot)

samjh
December 19th, 2009, 01:06 AM
It's one of the best multi-platform toolkits, but not the best toolkit in the absolute sense. I honestly can't say which toolkit is the best, as I haven't tried them all, and a set of criteria hasn't been set to judge them.

hoppipolla
December 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM

hehe I guess maybe I did get a little overly enthusiastic there! You can guess which side I fall on! lol :)

koleoptero
December 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
let me FOX the current stats
Yes, 9 (27%)
Yes, (of the ones they've used.) 13 (39%)
It will be in the future!11 (33%)
No. 18 (55%)

as you can see 99% approval rating. It's interesting how there are 18 no votes yet the vast majority of the posts somewhat agree with OP (personally i haven't voted because i don't feal I've given gtk a fair shot)

I wonder how you managed to get the percentages to add up to 154%.

Xbehave
December 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I wonder how you managed to get the percentages to add up to 154%.
If I explain the (http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/193.jpg) joke (http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/foxpoll120.gif) I fear the thread would get political ;)

edit: ok 1 more because it made me LOL [1] (http://tpmtv.talkingpointsmemo.com/?id=3060320), stats you got to love em

Starlight
December 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
ETK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment_Foundation_Libraries), with Elementary (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary)

Wow... this looks amazing! :shock: I hope it gets popular, I'd love to have apps on my computer that use it.

Nevon
December 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
I've only ever really used GTK from a programming perspective, so I can't really say. However, from a user's standpoint, I really do think that GTK looks so much better than Qt, the Enlightenment one, and any other I can think of.

Skripka
December 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Wow... this looks amazing! :shock: I hope it gets popular, I'd love to have apps on my computer that use it.

The only things that have been waited for longer than a stable Enlighenment E17 are GNU/Hurd, and Duke Nukem Forever...popularity it has yet to achieve.

Starlight
December 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
The only things that have been waited for longer than a stable Enlighenment E17 are GNU/Hurd, and Duke Nukem Forever...popularity it has yet to achieve.

I guess you're right... but I remember reading a few months ago that the Enlightenment team actually has some plans to release a final version :D

There's also hope in GTK 3, I've read some time ago that the developers are improving theming and animation support, so maybe it will be possible to make it look as cool as Enlightenment :D

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I've only ever really used GTK from a programming perspective, so I can't really say. However, from a user's standpoint, I really do think that GTK looks so much better than Qt, the Enlightenment one, and any other I can think of.
Qt is themable just like GTK, let me assure you an unthemed gtk looks pretty fugly.

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM

I actually love Enlightenment, Entrance, the toolkit I guess and everything they've done. However, I'm just not sure if it's as flexible or solid a framework as Qt... correct me if I'm wrong though.

As for GTK looking better than Qt I very much disagree, but that's all personal preference I guess :)

bruce89
December 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
This poll yet again misses the point. Qt is an entire development environment with all sorts of functions (no pun intended). GTK+ is a UI tooltit, nothing more nothing less.

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
This poll yet again misses the point. Qt is an entire development environment with all sorts of functions (no pun intended). GTK+ is a UI tooltit, nothing more nothing less.

it's a tooltit? :D

juancarlospaco
December 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
it's a tooltit? :d

l o l