PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 using live cd

n2sins
December 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
i know to some this is a dumb question .. but here goes.. can you use the live cd to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10.. and if so will it retain system settings.? .. like my themees and firefox settings and themes.. start programs and installed programs? i looked through forums without any success on the subject.. my internet right now is really slow and i thought of trying this.. also.. i found on the live cd that my sound options didnt have pulse audio or alsa.. it had no options just full duplex stereo analog and stereo analog and both of those with digital.. i looked and both was installed when cd booted but it wasnt reading my snd card right.. what command can i use under live cd to see if it can fix that before i update to real install..i think it would be a reconfigure command.. but i am not proficcient in linux but learning.. thanks for a reply.. appreciate it

Grenage
December 18th, 2009, 09:38 AM
You can do it with the alternate CD, here's how:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

n2sins
December 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
thanks grenage.. appreciate it.. i will have to wait til my internet speed is faster.. gsm modem slow during peak times.. does the upgrade keep favorite settings or return you to the origional gnome and firefox settings..

Grenage
December 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The upgrade keeps your favourites and programs etc. Went fine on one of my machines (others were fresh installs).