PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu 9.10 on a previous installation with a separate /home partition

srirammanoj
December 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hi,
I had ubuntu 9.4 on my laptop with a separate /home partition.
I decided to install 9.10 instead of upgrading.
I configured the / partition same as the previous one and went ahead with the installation.
The installation went ok but the problem is that it created a new /home inside the / partition.
The original /home partition is now treated like a separate drive which has to be mounted.
My question is,
Can i change the home directory in the menu ? Will it work ? Because the /home partition needs to be mounted after every restart.
Or should i have configured /home during the installation (i was afraid that the new installation might wipe out the data and consequently did nothing there) ?

unmole
December 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
You should have configured the /home partition during install. However make sure you don't change the File System. The default in Jaunty was Ext3 and in Karmic it is Ext4. If you want to try a reinstall, mark the hape partition as /home and use as Ext3 and do not fromat.

If you want to experiment, you could try adapting this tutorial as you already have the home partition with all your files. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

srirammanoj
December 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Thank you very much.
It worked like a charm.