PDA

View Full Version : Which python version should I start with?

Inhumanity
December 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hi, I'm using ubuntu for three weeks or less now, this is my first linux distro, and I'm interested to explore linux and python at the same time. I would like to ask which python version should I start with? Thanks and I'm starting to adore linux than windows (at least for now :lolflag:)

jpkotta
December 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Python 2.6; it's installed by default in Jaunty and Karmic. Python 3 is out there but many 3rd party packages/libraries don't support it yet, and it's probably easier to make the transition 2.6->3 than the other way around, because all of the guides you'll find will be in that direction.

Python doesn't change all that much from one version to the next, but it does change a bit faster than most languages.

I highly recommend ipython for interactive python sessions.

Inhumanity
December 18th, 2009, 06:00 AM
thanks a bunch jpkotta \\:D/

Barriehie
December 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'ld use whichever version is in the repos for your distribution! Might want to check out DrPython for an editor.

Barrie

Majorix
December 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Python 2.6; it's installed by default in Jaunty and Karmic. Python 3 is out there but many 3rd party packages/libraries don't support it yet, and it's probably easier to make the transition 2.6->3 than the other way around, because all of the guides you'll find will be in that direction.

I concur. I see no point in learning a legacy software at this time. Python 2.X will slowly die out, while 3.X will be the release used in the future.

If some libraries for Python haven't been released yet, just be patient and they will be eventually. You won't need too many of them when you start off anyways.

If you have prior programming experience, there is the new release of Dive Into Python for 3.X, which is one of the best textbooks ever written for Python (well in my opinion at least). Otherwise, just search Amazon for a beginner guide.

diesch
December 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I recommend 2.6, too. The differences between 2.6 and 3.0 aren't that big so you can use most of your 2.6 knowledge with 3.0. But there are much more docs, examples and libs for 2.6 available than for 3.0 so learning 2.6 will be easier and for fun.