PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista User Switching to Ubuntu: Problems with Installation

Draconic
December 18th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Hello Ubuntu community!

Long story short, I'm a Vista User and I'm switching my OS. I asked my sister, who is far more tech-literate, for a suggestion for an operating system that was "Lean, powerful, customizableish and not loaded with tons of useless junk I'll never use." She suggested Ubuntu, and after some research I've decided to switch from Vista.

Well, I followed the directions (for version 9.10 by the way); I've burnt the software to a disk, put it into my drive, restarted my computer, and installed. It asked me for the language, timezone, username/password/computer name, etc. but when the questions ended, the computer froze up and was stuck with the background (the orange spectrum).

Some information on my computer:
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: ML3109
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz
RAM: 512MB
System Type: 32-bit

I'll try to install the OS again, but if you could come up with any help that would be great.

raymondh
December 18th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hello Ubuntu community!

Long story short, I'm a Vista User and I'm switching my OS. I asked my sister, who is far more tech-literate, for a suggestion for an operating system that was "Lean, powerful, customizableish and not loaded with tons of useless junk I'll never use." She suggested Ubuntu, and after some research I've decided to switch from Vista.

Well, I followed the directions (for version 9.10 by the way); I've burnt the software to a disk, put it into my drive, restarted my computer, and installed. It asked me for the language, timezone, username/password/computer name, etc. but when the questions ended, the computer froze up and was stuck with the background (the orange spectrum).

Some information on my computer:
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: ML3109
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz
RAM: 512MB
System Type: 32-bit

I'll try to install the OS again, but if you could come up with any help that would be great.

When the liveCD loads/boots up, press F4 and select 'safe graphics mode'. If that still fails, you can try the alternate install (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate) which is text-based rather than GUI-based hence less resource-intensive during install.