PDA

View Full Version : Linux Video Sharing Site

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Ok so as title says i'm thinking of starting a linux video sharing site i knw how to run um and mantain um et.. its late here dont wanna get into full detail i tired as hell but yeh good idea or not ?

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 03:49 AM
lots of videos out there. i have found them on youtube; miro; internet search. would be nice to find them all in one place...

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
If i get enough response about this ill update soon with full detail etc.. and would like to start it ;)

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
While you're at it, why not just do a full open-source alternative to YouTube?

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Sure and why?

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Sure why not :)

And why ? Cause we the community need an opensource alternative with all dedicated to the one and only open source

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Sure why not :)

And why ? Cause we the community need an opensource alternative with all dedicated to the one and only open source
YouTube runs on Python? Why not accept what you got?

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
^^ Because this site will be all opensource :)

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
^^ Because this site will be all opensource :)
...but why?

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Because for 1 it would make it easier for the opensource community to find what they want when they want it due to the fact it will be all opensource with screen-cast tutorials and so forth will bring together all opensource users of the community to enjoy a fully fledged opensource alternative ;)

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Ok, put out a promising plan and I'll help you.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM
My promising plan will be out later on :)

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 04:10 AM

FOSS YouTube

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Open Soure Alternative To Youtube

1.We Pledge Allegiance to the Penguin*.
2.We will always be opensource.
3.We will be ad funded To keep site running and cost of servers.
4.OpenSource is and always will be the best for community users to do what they want when they want with freedom of speech.
5.Site will listen to users request if users want it we will have it :)
6.Of course with enough people agree on same idea.
7.No Microsoft allowed.
8.Users will have the best experience they can when it comes to learning all you need to know about the awesome source linux
9.we will never place annoying ads on are videos only on the sides
10.since this site will be opensource there shall be no copyright worries .. exept when users make how-to videos we ask them not to include copyrighting material
Other then that not many rules since opensource allows so many things one including as said before freedom of speech and the allowence to listen to what users want of the site unlike youtube aka ^&&*(^(* :)

So other then this I have more information coming soon this was typed in 50 minutes and yes this site wil and shall suceed with help from community thanks to the lovely power of opensource..

Site name : still working on that ….

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Not that I'm saying anyone actually prosecutes this stuff, but Youtube falls under the protection of Google. Good luck not getting your pants sued off.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Not that I'm saying anyone actually prosecutes this stuff, but Youtube falls under the protection of Google. Good luck not getting your pants sued off.

why would i get sued

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 18th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well because I'm assuming you will be airing tv/movie, video game trailers, and other copyrighted material.

and this:

7.No Microsoft allowed.

is lame. I guess you're not interested in converting people.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Well because I'm assuming you will be airing tv/movie, video game trailers, and other copyrighted material.

no read what i posted no copyrighted allowed

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM

and this:

is lame. I guess you're not interested in converting people.

when i mean no microsoft i mean not all microsoft :) yes we will allow windows videos that change people to linux ;0 and opensource stuff for windows

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Okay, about the copyright thing. You posted that while I was writing my response, so it changes things quite a bit. Good luck.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Okay, about the copyright thing. You posted that while I was writing my response, so it changes things quite a bit. Good luck.

No problem :)

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Open Soure Alternative To Youtube

1.We Pledge Allegiance to the Penguin*.
2.We will always be opensource.
3.We will be ad funded To keep site running and cost of servers.
4.OpenSource is and always will be the best for community users to do what they want when they want with freedom of speech.
5.Site will listen to users request if users want it we will have it :)
6.Of course with enough people agree on same idea.
7.No Microsoft allowed.
8.Users will have the best experience they can when it comes to learning all you need to know about the awesome source linux
9.we will never place annoying ads on are videos only on the sides
10.since this site will be opensource there shall be no copyright worries .. exept when users make how-to videos we ask them not to include copyrighting material
Other then that not many rules since opensource allows so many things one including as said before freedom of speech and the allowence to listen to what users want of the site unlike youtube aka ^&&*(^(* :)

So other then this I have more information coming soon this was typed in 50 minutes and yes this site wil and shall suceed with help from community thanks to the lovely power of opensource..

Site name : still working on that ….
I'll help, but this, just, this, just, just, no. Especially number 7.

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM

why does MS have to be here?

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:33 AM

So u dont like idea 7

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 04:43 AM
talking about copyright. couldnt you just give links if there is any question. an example would be CNET, they have good videos, but would probably have copyright issues...

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM
no windows videos will be on the site period

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
NOw the work of thinking of a name?

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:53 AM
why does MS have to be here?
Because people use it. But more, they aren't evil.

chillicampari
no windows videos will be on the site period Not sure what you mean by Windows videos. Do you mean videos promoting Windows or videos created using a application that's used in Windows?

skierkyles
So now the biggest question of all is, how you can even implement it.

How will you design the site? PHP, Rails, CGI, Seaside, something else?

Additionally...

How can you make enough money to even fund the servers?

High up and down bandwidth costs + lots of strain on the servers converting the uploaded videos to whatever format you choose.

Good luck:)

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Like screencast for opensource software under windows etc.. nothing copyrighted

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM
So now the much bigger question is, how you can even implement it.

How will you design the site? PHP, Rails, CGI, Seaside, something else?

Additionally...

How can you make enough money to even fund the servers?

High up and down bandwidth + lots of strain on the servers converting the uploaded videos to whatever format you choose.

Good luck:)

PHP And ill manage trust me i got me my money :)

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM
PHP And ill manage trust me i got me my money :)
I don't know, Python and Rails seem way more up to the task.

jerrrys

no they are not evil, just not needed. this site will have the linux community

BAMF1501
no they are not evil, just not needed. this site will have the linux community

any name suggestions ?

chillicampari
December 18th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Like screencast for opensource software under windows etc.. nothing copyrighted

I guess I'm still not sure exactly what the idea is here, is this targeted to be a Linux promotion site or is it a general interest video sharing site built on an open source platform? I know people who use a mix of open source and proprietary tools for video work (including myself).

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I guess I'm still not sure exactly what the idea is here, is this targeted to be a Linux promotion site or is it a general interest video sharing site built on an open source platform? I know people who use a mix of open source and proprietary tools for video work (including myself).

Its a mixture of all u said man :) more towards to be a Linux promotion

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Its a mixture of all u said man :) more towards to be a Linux promotion
If it's towards the Linux audience, it isn't a Linux promotion.

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 05:11 AM
any name suggestions ?

no, not a one. thats my wifes department, ill get her on it in the morning...

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM
If it's towards the Linux audience, it isn't a Linux promotion.

Its gonna be a mixture of all put it this way it will be mind blowing ;) in a way

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Its gonna be a mixture of all put it this way it will be mind blowing ;) in a way
Tell me what you'll do that's mind blowing. As I hear it now, it's all hot air and no substance.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Tell me what you'll do that's mind blowing. As I hear it now, it's all hot air and no substance.

OPensource is mindblowing and all linux is amazing and 2 once i get site name a good one and all community agreed site will be getting worked on :) would yall want mockup ??

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 05:28 AM
OPensource is mindblowing and all linux is amazing and 2 once i get site name a good one and all community agreed site will be getting worked on :) would yall want mockup ??

you really dont mean the entire community right? maybe just a few million...

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM
you really dont mean the entire community right? maybe just a few million...

i didnt really mean the whole community lol i mean atleast like a couple hundred to agree lol

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Sure, I want to see a mockup.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Why focus on just Linux though? I think you can do much more, such as support Free Speech and Creative Commons.

Also, Django is something worth looking into.

And finally, even if you launched this site, would you consider somehow making it do OGG videos?

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Yes that would be the first thing i add ogg support :)

BTW!! THis is gonna be community so whatever u guys want i will make it happen :)

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM
i didnt really mean the whole community lol i mean atleast like a couple hundred to agree lol

a couple of hundred could be as hard as a few million...

earthpigg
December 18th, 2009, 05:34 AM
GNUTube.

FOSSTube.

YouGNU.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM
-librevids
-Lenscap
-SpeakOut
-OutSpoken
-SpeakEasy (I think this is my favorite out of this group)

jerrrys
December 18th, 2009, 05:44 AM
-librevids
-Lenscap
-SpeakOut
-OutSpoken

think that was a favorite in the 1920's too

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:49 AM
FreaSpeachVideos
OSV
OpenSourceTube

Spiting names out random :popcorn:

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
-librevids
-Lenscap
-SpeakOut
-OutSpoken
+1 for SpeakEasy

Also, if you're doing Linux and Ogg, just stick with raw HTML5 <video> support. No need for a fancy video player. When Firefox jumps on the H.264 bandwagon, you can put a Flash backend on it.

EDIT
Anything with "Free", "Open Source", "Open", or "GNU" in it sounds cliche and drab.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Well, if worse comes to worst, freespeechvids.com is looking for people to help out with staff members, I seem to recall. Maybe it's best to join an existing project and try to help improve it.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Well, if worse comes to worst, freespeechvids.com is looking for people to help out with staff members, I seem to recall. Maybe it's best to join an existing project and try to help improve it.

what the hell is n that site

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
what the hell is n that site

It's still in its infancy, but the creator intends to support Free Speech entirely with it, allowing people to post whatever they think, about anything.

I dunno, just an idea.

chillicampari
December 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM

And another +1.

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 06:00 AM
SpeakEasy +23

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM
anybody else ??

CarpKing
December 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
A focus on hosting Creative Commons content would be good. Perhaps require videos posted to be released with such a license.

"SpeakEasy" is a good name, as long as it isn't taken by something at all similar.

+1 for HTML5 video tags.

murderslastcrow
December 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I think that a video site that runs HTML5 with ogg codecs well and has all the features YouTube has now could really pull a fast one on other video sharing sites, just because it would be such better quality, less choppy, and load much faster.

I hope YouTube will eventually get full HTML5 support, seeing as how Google owns it and their developing their own Linux distro based on these new technologies, I don't see why they wouldn't. It'd be a great way to implement/force open standards on the web.

brian183
December 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
It's still in its infancy, but the creator intends to support Free Speech entirely with it, allowing people to post whatever they think, about anything.

I dunno, just an idea.

Hey do you know TJ? I've been trying to offer help to him through email and tried adding him on facebook but no bites yet from him. He has no clue who I am so I guess I understand. I'm a web developer that would like to help that site out if I can get a chance. I think he's using word press to run his site now but I doubt that'll cut it once they get more traffic and usage. (I have no opinion on word press and I've never used it so I'm purely speculating when I say it won't cut it)

-brian

ElSlunko
December 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
HTML5 and Speakeasy 2(+1).

JBAlaska
December 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.ihatemicrosoft.com--Taken
http://www.windows-sucks.com--domain for sale
http://www.microsuck.com--domain for sale
http://www.windowssucks.com--availible!

And all these domains owned by the microsoft_eradication_society:
Caution! Adult content, not work, child safe Link (http://www.microsuck.com/Microsoft_Eradication_Society/Welcome..html)

scottuss
December 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM

People do use it, and actually yes they are "evil". Corporations are, by their very nature.

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM
People do use it, and actually yes they are "evil". Corporations are, by their very nature.
Corporations are, by their very nature, moral-less. They aren't good, but they aren't evil either.

phrostbyte
December 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
If you are serious about this, I am interested in helping. I can help you with Django or Ruby on Rails.

But you better have the money for a dedicated server and a ton of bandwidth. I'm will not help with the server bills, sorry. :)

BAMF1501
December 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Dont worry i will manage with bills m8 :) thats one reason why i will place ads only a couple though to get revenue to go towards server cost and mabey a monthly donation :)

scottuss
December 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Corporations are, by their very nature, moral-less. They aren't good, but they aren't evil either.

Money is the root of all evil, or so they say. Corporations are out to get money, corporations consist of people driving to make profit. So yes, they are evil really.

Anyway.

DeadSuperHero
December 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
The domain speakea.sy is available. If you want to go with that name still, might as well hurry up and go get it.

BAMF1501
December 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Planning on starting working on site after holidays like a couple days after newyears :) So open for suggestions till then :)

chris200x9
December 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
any name suggestions ?

fosstube.com

DeadSuperHero
December 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm willing to produce Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike video content to help you start the site.

DeadSuperHero
December 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I just wanted to bump this back up because I think the project has a lot of promise and merit to it. Best of luck to you, BAMF1501.

RPG Master
December 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I would REALLY like to help start this, even if I don't have any coding knowledge :P

Though I've only made one screencast, I do plan to make more: http://blip.tv/file/2139598 (under CC By-NC-SA)

Also, I second the HTML5 video suggestion :D I think I read somewhere that if you want a fancy GUI for the videos you can use javascript to do that...

BAMF1501
December 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I would REALL like to help start this, even if I don't have any coding knowledge :P

Though I've only made one screencast, I do plan to make more: http://blip.tv/file/2139598 (under CC By-NC-SA)

Also, I second the HTML5 video suggestion :D I think I read somewhere that if you want a fancy GUI for the videos you can use javascript to do that...

Yep will do my best to get html5 :) and i knw gfx so i wont need much help with designing the site :)

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
www.OSGUI.com is a Linux Video Sharing Site made out of all Open Source like you guys want!

There are already hundreds of Linux & Open Source Videos on OSGUI.com from many YouTube users including this guy who started the thread!

This was my idea first, I have been doing this for a long time.

BAMF1501 You are part of my Linux Video Sharing site, why have you decided that you think you can make your own better one?

Why do you want to start your own video sharing site?

What is wrong with www.OSGUI.com?

I've not seen you on it to update your videos, why not?

Tt's been updated a lot over the last few days and is heaps better now

OSGUI has a New & Improved Video section that replicates YouTube's features and has many of the Best Technology, Open Source and Linux related YouTube Channel's Videos, including these guys: EdgyRootStudios gotbletu ubunite darkone778 arthursucks BAMFMediaify UbuntuHelpGuy mrbiggiemac Tru3m0sl3m stmpoodle --- added after video has been made: dekaband dmplace platnumX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROA6FLNdEs

I need to let you all know how the Video sharing system works on this site so that you all can take better advantage of its features.

Please follow the following steps to help get your videos setup right on here:

1. Be registered with a username i know about so i can link u to your videos - most of you have done this
2. Go to Video Groups and join all the groups you see
3. Create more Groups that you think are missing - Remember Groups are the same as Playlists - we should have one for each topic that we have many videos on so that all our videos on the same topics can be found together and so new users can find videos on what they are looking for through this section....
4. rate your own videos, comment on them, edit them if needed
5. Add your video to the Groups it fits into - use the Share tab under the video to do this, you can and should often add each video to more than one group like if its Kdenlive in Ubuntu then it fits into Video Editing and Ubunut Linux groups.

6. Add New Videos You make - but be patient and wait around 4 hours minimum for YouTube API's to proper-gate so that this site can auto-magically import all the data about the video successfully - this is a limitation of YouTube not this site because you will find if you share a brand-new video from YouTube to Stumbleupon or other sites it never has any data or thumbnail until the video is a few hours old and this depends on how fast YouTube is running that day...

7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for new videos posted

8. Use the other Share buttons and the ShareThis button to post your videos on to dozens of Article Submittion News sites and Social Networking sites which helps your videos get hundreds of extra views and helps OSGUI grow

9. Ask me if you think a Video should be featured in the random rotation of BIG Videos on the front page. I also will pick at random the videos I think are the best which have been contributed by the users who contribute the most to this site.

EdgyRoodStudios, UbuntuHelpGuy, & Ubunite already have a few videos of theirs on the Featured Videos section of this site.

I had to buy the support subscription Pro Account thing from the developers because I really wanted the whole thing and needed some of the missing features of the free version. It's still GPL, its just now I've paid 20 euros to support the Open Source devs that made the video component I use.

So things have changed around, I messed around and had to re-add a bunch of videos because I made an error oops and it wasted a few hours of my time...

Good news for me is that all my Original Videos that I made from the timmy198010 channel on youtube are now back on this site hosted via blip.tv and the adverts show in the videos which means I make some money from when you guys watch my old videos.

I can post videos on any length to my blip account so even 2 hour long things if I want

I have been building websites since 1998, worked in web design companies, worked doing tech support for 10 years, I know how to do this, do you?

OSGUI.com has been around for years, it is evolving and if you don't like the way it looks or something then just tell me, don't go telling everyone your going to make a site like mine and act like you made up the idea yourself.

So BAMF1501 I have to say that the way you posted this days after I put your videos on my site has upset me. it's not very nice, and I have always been very nice to you

Join us on OSGUI.com mate, I'm an expert in web design and internet marketing and have been doing it all my life, do you really think you can rip up something better and have it be more successful? i'm Not I'm putting down you skills or anything but it does take a long time for people to learn how to build and run good websites and even longer on how to make them have active communities

Since we also have www.Ubunite.com site which shares some Linux Videos too, why do we need more?

One tip you need to know about Internet Marketing is that the age of the domain name counts for high up a site is in Google searches...

OSGUI.com is 2 years 6 months old

DeadSuperHero
December 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
OSGUI is a nice site, but it doesn't align with the intentions of BAMF's site at all.

OSGUI is based on Flash and Youtube. Flash is proprietary, and YouTube doesn't truly support the freedom of speech.

So while it's nice of you to suggest pooling efforts, I'm afraid that's not going to work out.

Why do we need more? We don't, we just need a defined alternative offering that doesn't rely on Flash, doesn't censor users, and actually has a good aesthetic design and usability focus to drive people to it.

BAMF1501
December 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
So BAMF1501 I have to say that the way you posted this days after I put your videos on my site has upset me. it's not very nice, and I have always been very nice to you

Join us on OSGUI.com mate, I'm an expert in web design and internet marketing and have been doing it all my life, do you really think you can rip up something better and have it be more successful? i'm Not I'm putting down you skills or anything but it does take a long time for people to learn how to build and run good websites and even longer on how to make them have active communities

m8 this is gonna be a completely new video sharing site based with html5 your site is great but as said it uses flash and just embeded youtube videos :)

Im not trying to offend u are make a better site than u this is gonna be a video sharing site completely different from what u are doing so i hope you understand :)

BTW..

Updates: I am looking more into the html5 etc./.. my php coding and so on and plan on starting production on this site at the start of the new year 2010 and launching in March :

houseworkshy
December 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
I like the idea and think that with a bit of help, humans and servers, the internet archive could easily put in a section similar to youtube. Their philosophy certainly fits the open source ethic.

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
OSGUI is a nice site, but it doesn't align with the intentions of BAMF's site at all.

OSGUI is based on Flash and Youtube. Flash is proprietary, and YouTube doesn't truly support the freedom of speech.

So while it's nice of you to suggest pooling efforts, I'm afraid that's not going to work out.

Why do we need more? We don't, we just need a defined alternative offering that doesn't rely on Flash, doesn't censor users, and actually has a good aesthetic design and usability focus to drive people to it.

OSGUI is not based on YouTube it is not a wrapper for it

I could drop youtube out if i wanted and host videos from the site, it just needs a bigger server which i could buy

the video player is a plugin and i think i can get a HTML5 replacement

I didn't know it would be in such high demand

Anything you say you want I can do, and will do

BAMF1501
December 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
OK well i decided after me and tim had a nice long talk that i would just team up with him and help implement the html5 since i knw allot about html etc.. and coding so this project is now basically gonna be merged with osgui.com forsay and just help him out :)

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm glad you two got back together, I think the result will be much better for all concerned.

Good stuff. :)

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
OK well i decided after me and tim had a nice long talk that i would just team up with him and help implement the html5 since i knw allot about html etc..

You know, there is an entire page dedicated to learning HTML 5. An entire PAGE.

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
oh okay cool

I didn't know you changed your mind till now, sorry

anyhow sweet no worries

so osgui is based on joomla and the video component is from http://hwdmediashare.co.uk

I have paid the developer of it so will ask him about html5 video player

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have made the question/suggestion/question to the developer of hwvideoshare

http://forum.hwdmediashare.co.uk/forum/28-feature-request-hwdvs/21422-open-video-format-support#23782

the guys there seem to think html5 video player only support theora video format

sure thats fine for a un-edited screencast from recrdmydesktop but not for any other type of video

This is what the Developer thinks on the topic:

The HTML5 standard adds native video reproduction using a <video> tag. Browsers that support this standard will be able to play the videos without need of Flash, Silverlight or any other propriety solution.

I think the standard says the file must be encoded using the Theora/Ogg codecs (free), but there has been some criticism from YouTube because H.264 get a better quality with lower bitrate.

For the moment it's a very experimental technology but I guess it will boom during 2010, so the poor iphone owners will be able to watch online videos without Flash suppor

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
ON a site i ran about a year ago i used html5 video was a bit buggy but worked very easy to learn and use and will go great on osgui.com

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
I think the standard says the file must be encoded using the Theora/Ogg codecs (free), but there has been some criticism from YouTube because H.264 get a better quality with lower bitrate.

The standard doesn't mention a file format. There is NO DEFINED FORMAT for HTML5. What kind of developer do you have? And seriously, pay for HTML5 work? It's HTML for crying out loud.

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
The standard doesn't mention a file format. There is NO DEFINED FORMAT for HTML5. What kind of developer do you have? And seriously, pay for HTML5 work? It's HTML for crying out loud.

Yeh tim if you need help with html just pm me cause its very easy to use.

sdlynx
December 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM

lmao. yeah I think youtube kinda does the trick here. if you wanna make a site and possibly just compile all those videos together it would work but I don't think you'll get too much traffic.

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I'm all for an open-source based site that doesn't break videos up into a squillion tiny parts.

I won't watch vid's that I would really like to see, because they have been broken up on youtube.

I go looking elsewhere in an effort to find the entire vid in one chunk, as it was meant to be.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Is this falling through to use some crap Joomla wrapper with OSGUI? If so, my dream of a truly FOSS video sharing site has just died, thanks alot for compensating your ideals.

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Is this falling through to use some crap Joomla wrapper with OSGUI? If so, my dream of a truly FOSS video sharing site has just died, thanks alot for compensating your ideals.
A little piece of me died inside as well.

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
I would continue but Tim does not like the idea none whatsoever trust me he sent me a crapload of messages on why i shouldt and how i won't suceed etc... so yeh :(

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I would continue but Tim does not like the idea none whatsoever trust me he sent me a crapload of messages on why i shouldt and how i won't suceed etc... so yeh :(
BAMF, Speakeasy, do it.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM

Yeah, seriously. Don't let anybody bully you into bending to their will. Your idea for an HTML5-based FOSS video-sharing website would do wonders for so many people in the FOSS community.

I'd even be willing to donate my time and effort to help administrate such a site and produce content for it. If I had a job again, I'd probably even send a portion of my paycheck to support such an effort.

skierkyles
December 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM

Um he doesn't own the internet, If you want to make your own site, and think you can do it better than anyone else, go for it.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
If worse comes to worst and BAMF doesn't end up doing it, I'd be willing to buy the domain and design the site myself.

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
If worse comes to worst and BAMF doesn't end up doing it, I'd be willing to buy the domain and design the site myself.
I'll do the backend.

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yeh screw him he can be an **** etc.. to me but i'm still gonna do it :)

Production will start after christmas will buy domain fosstube.com or whatever etc... and get my dedicated server and so on :) and start production on site:popcorn:

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I still think Speakea.sy is a smoother name, but whatever you think, dude.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Please BAMF, don't let the dream die out :O

I too would be willing to help in any non-coding way needed :D

I could:
Make videos
Make graphics (I am a self taught GIMP master :D)
Other random junk :P

Really, I just want to help :KS

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Orig PLan is still on :)

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
OK take a vote from these domains so i can register one :)

FOSSTube.com

Is what i really want but i dont knw about yall ??

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
My vote still stands for speakea.sy

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
OK take a vote from these domains so i can register one :)

FOSSTube.com

Is what i really want but i dont knw about yall ??
My vote is still for speakea.sy

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
i checked speakea.sy it cannot be registers

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
i checked speakea.sy it cannot be registers

Domai.nr says it's available.

EDIT: Uh, hope you have money. It's 400 bucks for the domain for a year. Hmmm...

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM

EDIT: Uh, hope you have money. It's 400 bucks for the domain for a year. Hmmm...

400 dollars lmao yeh right :) I aint paying that much for a domain lol

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM

Just that Syrian domain names cost a crap load.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Just that Syrian domain names cost a crap load.

Oh well. If it's still around in about four years or so, I'd totally snag it.

(I'll be in the Navy for about that long.)

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
so no one like fosstube >??

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
(I'll be in the Navy for about that long.)

I thought you were going into the Air Force?

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
so no one like fosstube >??
I guess it's fine, but it sounds so... cliche...

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
well if you guys recommend a name that doesnt cost me 400 sure ;)

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
well if you guys recommend a name that doesnt cost me 400 sure ;)

Dross.com/net/org

Dross - Directory of Open Source Software
or
Dr. OSS

The name is original, can be expanded into meanings, and is not cliche in any way, shape, or form.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
flossy
floss
bullhorn
freespeech
Theoray (Theora+Theory :D)
Ubuntube :P
OpenDiscussion

I might think of more names later :P

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
I like the names frak :)

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
It's now down to finding one that isn't already registered.

Diross isn't. Dir of Open Source Software.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM

Well, sure. Go ahead and skip my post :P

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
urs are good to llol

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I like Ubuntube

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I like Ubuntube
No.

Besides, you'll be harassed by Canonical the entire time. Having Ubuntu in the name is trademark infringement.

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
ok then well what should i do domain ??

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
No.

Besides, you'll be harassed by Canonical the entire time. Having Ubuntu in the name is trademark infringement.

Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen... :(

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
ok then well what should i do domain ??
Wait and think about it. That should be the least important thing on your list.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
@Frak

What do you think of my other suggestions?

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
flossy
Sounds dental-ish

floss
Same

bullhorn
Wut, but I could roll with it.

freespeech
Cliche

Theoray (Theora+Theory )
I wouldn't stick to Theora. Unless you're targeted toward the Theora codec, don't include it into the scheme. Who knows, a brand new HTML5 codec replacement codec may come out that's better.

Ubuntube
As stated before, Trademark infringement.

OpenDiscussion
Sounds too much like a forum.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
@Frak
Bullhorn is just a less used term for a megaphone :P

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
@Frak
Bullhorn is just a less used term for a megaphone :P
I know, and I said I could roll with it a.k.a. I like the idea.

RPG Master
December 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
I know, and I said I could roll with it a.k.a. I like the idea.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood :P
I read "wut" as meaning "wut [the heck is that supposed to mean]" :lolflag:
I am glad you like it :D

exsecrare
December 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
thespeakeasy.cc is available through godaddy for $19.99 a year... <.<

oh and linuxspeakeasy.info is only $0.89

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Ill setup once yall decide on domain and i give final say so ofcourse ;)

tim1980
December 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm really looking forward to the site you guys are going to create, it sure will be a feat of engineering to accomplish this on a small budget with the technologies and skill-sets you all have together.

After reading through this entire thread I see that your goals for excluding MS/Mac users from the site, that OSGUI is not in-line with your Mission Statement, OSGUI has its own Mission Statement which is to welcome all users of all systems and then encourage them to use Open Source so we provide videos on how to install Linux inside Windows, but that would be banned from what you have said...

Also there is more money in having Adds inside Videos than just around them... So we differ on many points. Which is good..

Ubunite.com and OSGUI.com are partners so perhaps your fdoss site may benefit from some inbound links from us older more established domains, if your lucky and don't offend both of us.

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Ubunite.com and OSGUI.com are partners so perhaps your fdoss site may benefit from some inbound links from us older more established domains, if your lucky and don't offend both of us.

I've never heard of either of those.

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks Tim :)

BTW Guys Start voting on domain names :)

FOSSTube.com Or Frak suggestions i Just want to start getting things in order.

days_of_ruin
December 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I'm registering these domains as you speak, to sell them back to you at a ridiculous price :twisted:

tim1980
December 24th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I've never heard of either of those.

So you have not seen 2 of the best Open Source YouTube Channels

http://www.youtube.com/OSGUIShow

http://www.youtube.com/ubunite

... we have many others like UbuntuHelpGuy, EdgyRootStudios all united helping each other with cross-promotion... us Open Source lovers do work together collaboratively and co-operatively most of the time

:guitar:

BAMF1501
I'm registering these domains as you speak, to sell them back to you at a ridiculous price :twisted:

UM why would you do that ??

BAMF1501
So you have not seen 2 of the best Open Source YouTube Channels

http://www.youtube.com/OSGUIShow

http://www.youtube.com/ubunite

... we have many others like UbuntuHelpGuy, EdgyRootStudios all united helping each other with cross-promotion... us Open Source lovers do work together collaboratively and co-operatively most of the time

:guitar:

Yes all ubuntu people helping each other as same here :)

days_of_ruin
December 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM
UM why would you do that ??

I hope you didn't take that post seriously.

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I hope you aren't taking that post seriously.

Sarcasm dude :P no body knows when i'm being sarcastic darn lol

days_of_ruin
December 24th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Sarcasm dude :P no body knows when i'm being sarcastic darn lol

Add a smiley and then I will.:lolflag:

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
LOl ok back on topic you guys.

Mike'sHardLinux
December 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Earlier in the thread, you implied that you could handle server and bandwidth costs no problem, and yet $400/year for a domain is too much (les than $40/month)? Do you have any idea what kind of server (including TiBs of storage space) and bandwidth a site will need to stream video content???

wow......just......wow.......

Anyway, good luck. Some nice ideas in there except the "No MS" rule, which sounds silly to me. A LOT of FOSS supporters use MS software, too.

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Anyway, good luck. Some nice ideas in there except the "No MS" rule, which sounds silly to me. A LOT of FOSS supporters use MS software, too.

This.

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Earlier in the thread, you implied that you could handle server and bandwidth costs no problem, and yet $400/year for a domain is too much (les than $40/month)? Do you have any idea what kind of server (including TiBs of storage space) and bandwidth a site will need to stream video content???

wow......just......wow.......

I can afford it i just don't see the point in paying 400 bucks for a domain lol

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm with ya on that.

BAMF1501
December 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I'm with ya on that.

Thanks you i would pay thousands on server cost before id pay 400 on a domain

Mike'sHardLinux
December 24th, 2009, 06:22 AM

You seem to be placing quite a bit of importance on the domain name. Many of [your] posts in this thread so far have focused on that aspect.

Well, anyway, I am not trying to be a buzzkill. I still don't understand the purpose of the site exactly. Is this a site that will compete with YouTube, ie, hosting ALL types of videos? Or is it only to host videos specifically about FOSS, ie, tutorials about how to use The GIMP, or how to produce a video with Cinelerra, etc.....??

exsecrare
December 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
You seem to be placing quite a bit of importance on the domain name. Many of [your] posts in this thread so far have focused on that aspect.
It is a rather important aspect of a site. i do agree that a bit too much emphasis is being placed on the name though.

I too am having trouble understanding exactly what it is you want to do. Is it an alternative to youtube or just a site of tutorial/help/etc videos for linux and open source software?
you posted earlier in the thread that it will be an "open source alternative to youtube" well, youtube is much more than just tutorials. what about all the idiocy many people enjoy posting in video format to youtube? will things like that be allowed? what about bloggers that post videoblogs? will everyone be included? will everything be included?

WTF IS GOING ON! D=

KiwiNZ
December 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The staff are being subjected to tit for tat reporting on this thread. We are not going to into this .

Thread closed