PDA

View Full Version : Plagirism?

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Oh dear.

Not too long ago I wrote a guide on getting Source games to work on WINE on my blog. My blog is licensed under an Attribution-Noncommercial-No Deriative Works Creative Commons license. Here's my original post:
http://ubudeb.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/source-games-and-wine/

And then about 9 days later I find the Wine-Reviews blog has referred me. I thought they had simply linked. But no, it's essentially a full copy&paste. Look at this post, which, as you can see in the comments section, Tom Wickline takes full credit with no citing whatsoever:
http://wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/games/source-games-and-wine.html

This clearly violates my License, however, I'm clueless what to do in this situation. I can't exactly bring this up with anyone, can I? I really don't like this one bit.

EDIT: After reading a few posts in his blog, it seems that I'm not the only one he's copied.

EDIT2:
He has now linked to my article. Please disregard this topic.

julianb
December 18th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I had the same thing happen to me with something I wrote and posted on the internet.

There's not much you can do. Take it to court, hack their site, contact them and ask them to give you credit...?

You'd like to receive credit, and sure, why not?

Here's one possibility: put your energy in to sharing your creative problem-solving skills even more. I promise, you do that a lot and you'll get credit.

starcannon
December 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I'd start by writing an email asking him to abide by your license; if that is fruitless, then perhaps a lawyer is required, if it means enough to you to warrant paying for a lawyer.

It might also be a good time to reflect on what one wants to share freely with the world, and what one does not want to share freely with the world. I'm not saying what that guy did was right, but it does not change the reality that when one posts something to the internet, it is only a matter of when not if the posting will be plagiarized/stolen/copied/whatever; and very little can be done about it without causing a great deal of damage to the incredibly open and free(as in speech) internet we all know, love, and utilize.

GL I hope the guy responds appropriately to an email, and that you can have the whole thing solved to both your liking.

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I'd start by writing an email asking him to abide by your license; if that is fruitless, then perhaps a lawyer is required, if it means enough to you to warrant paying for a lawyer.

It might also be a good time to reflect on what one wants to share freely with the world, and what one does not want to share freely with the world. I'm not saying what that guy did was right, but it does not change the reality that when one posts something to the internet, it is only a matter of when not if the posting will be plagiarized/stolen/copied/whatever; and very little can be done about it without causing a great deal of damage to the incredibly open and free(as in speech) internet we all know, love, and utilize.

GL I hope the guy responds appropriately to an email, and that you can have the whole thing solved to both your liking.

It don't exactly think it'd be a issue to get a lawyer involved, but I would like it if he at least let me have a little credit. He could make his citation 2pt font for all I care. I just hope he isn't an obnoxious jerk about this.

LinuxFanBoi
December 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I think if you are polite and non-threatening, they should have no problem giving you credit. I also think you would have a hard time proving any damages as you gave away the information free of charge from the beginning. But yeah, You deserve credit.

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Contact him via E-Mail, if he doesn't remove it, call your lawyer and he'll send through a DMCA takedown notice.

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Contact him via E-Mail, if he doesn't remove it, call your lawyer and he'll send through a DMCA takedown notice.

A bit extreme, but I really think I should look through and notify anyone else he's copied from. If he refuses, a higher power might be able to take that kind of action against him if they wanted to.

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 03:49 AM
A bit extreme
That's the way you do it. You can ask him to remove it, if he doesn't, you go the legal route. There's VERY little you can do outside of that.

LinuxFanBoi
December 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM
That's the way you do it. You can ask him to remove it, if he doesn't, you go the legal route. There's VERY little you can do outside of that.

I think we can all agree on that, But the question is this. Is it worth it to him to spend money on a lawyer to protect something that wasn't intended to be a for-profit venture in the first place? Yes I understand that some times you have to stand on principal, but sometimes principals are cost prohibitive.

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I think we can all agree on that, But the question is this. Is it worth it to him to spend money on a lawyer to protect something that wasn't intended to be a for-profit venture in the first place? Yes I understand that some times you have to stand on principal, but sometimes principals are cost prohibitive.
Weird coming from me, I guess. I have a lawyer on call for these situations. They happen all_the_time for me.

n0glu3
December 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
No offence, but so what? I've had the same kind of thing happen to me. Unless you're a praise *****, just let it go.

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM
No offence, but so what? I've had the same kind of thing happen to me. Unless you're a praise *****, just let it go.

Something tells me you didn't read either mine or his blog. Basically it's a big deal if he has a relatively popular site and claims credit for the whole article I wrote on my own time. "Letting it go" just wouldn't make me feel any better, and with this kind of attitude, you don't seem like you'd understand my points.

-Summer Glau

n0glu3
December 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
It's Linux. If I write some guide or whatever, people can do what they want with it. As long as it helps and gives something back, I don't care who claims what.

kaibob
December 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I just looked at the other site, and it gives the OP credit for the article. Plus, it has a link to the OP's site at the bottom of the article.

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I just looked at the other site, and it gives the OP credit for the article. Plus, it has a link to the OP's site at the bottom of the article.

It also seems my comment about it has been deleted. He must've changed it, I don't recall the "full article" link being at the bottom when I first saw it. Either he changed it or I just seriously messed up.

Anyway, this seems to be SOLVED.