PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Double installation

jburkhart
December 18th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 twice on my Dell laptop without realizing it. I am running Ubuntu on a partitioned HD so have the choice of using WinXP while I become used to Ubuntu. How do I remove one of the two Ubuntu installs? Thanks for any help.

raymondh
December 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 twice on my Dell laptop without realizing it. I am running Ubuntu on a partitioned HD so have the choice of using WinXP while I become used to Ubuntu. How do I remove one of the two Ubuntu installs? Thanks for any help.

Just to double-check .... you mean 2 ubuntu root (system) installs or, 2 kernels?

You can use the liveCD and in live session access gparted (system > admin > partition editor) to remove the unwanted root install.

Here's the documentation on gparted. (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm)

jburkhart
December 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm really new at this, so bear with me... It appears to be two kernels, although when I get the boot screen for a choice of which OS to boot, I have Ubuntu, then WinXP, then Ubuntu again and the two different Ubuntu choices are different as I had different desktop displays on the two different Ubuntu choices. Root or Kernel?

dhavalbbhatt
December 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I'm really new at this, so bear with me... It appears to be two kernels, although when I get the boot screen for a choice of which OS to boot, I have Ubuntu, then WinXP, then Ubuntu again and the two different Ubuntu choices are different as I had different desktop displays on the two different Ubuntu choices. Root or Kernel?

Can you do a screen print of your GRUB menu? If you can't do that, do type up the two Ubuntu versions that you see during GRUB boot up.

raymondh
December 18th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Can you do a screen print of your GRUB menu? If you can't do that, do type up the two Ubuntu versions that you see during GRUB boot up.

either a print screen or ... in ubuntu, access a terminal (applications > accessories) and type

sudo fdisk -l

small L. Copy and paste back the results in your next post.