PDA

View Full Version : Window borders

Gandalf_the_Grey
December 17th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have both Compiz and Metacity installed under Ubuntu 9.10. When Metacity is enabled, everything works fine. If I enable Compiz, though, I lose my window frames, so I can't move windows around, except for Google Chrome, which has its own window frame. Also, Cairo-Dock turns into a white box. Finally, my terminal windows turn completely white and unusable. Compiz used to be usable, but just today it stopped working, and I don't know why. How can I resolve this?

overdrank
December 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Moved and bumped :)

Gandalf_the_Grey
December 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I have reached the conclusion that somehow, I must have messed up Metacity and Compiz in some way that I cannot ascertain. Therefore, I have decided that I will perform a fresh install on my larger hard drive, and this time try not to royally mess anything up. However, I will keep my old install too, in case anyone comes up with a solution.

jcoles
September 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I just experienced the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04.

I was able to get the window frames back using the Visual Effects tab of Appearance Preferences. When I opened the tab, the None option was selected. I selected Normal instead. When the visual effects were enabled, my window frames returned.