PDA

View Full Version : novell knows how it is done.....

Virogenesis
February 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM
TodaY I maged to download a video clip of the new novell desktop 10.
All I can say is that it packs a WOW statement its very impressive it certainly packs a punch not only does it pack a punch but it leaves you smiling by the end of the video I was smiling.

I think its here I believe linux now has a flagship desktop os and its in the form of novell sure parts will end up in ubuntu but the fact is that those guys have been doing their research so well.

Better Desktop (http://www.betterdesktop.org/) has many demos that cover usability and with that research I think we'll see a clear usability factor making its way over to linux.

What have novell brought to the desktop?
Well they helped XGL
They sponsored better desktop.
They brought us beagle, f-spot, banshee and a number of other programs will these guys stop producing good stuff I feel Novell will be the desktop to watch totaly different idea to ubuntu but damn those boys/girl know their stuff.

I just wonder how they will get their money back now
Never in my life before have I had the urge to buy a os but this I think will be worth it.

KingBahamut
February 24th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Novell is targeting mainly NT4 and 2000 legacy archs. Because NT4.0 (and there are a bunch of companies that are stuck on it, Aspect -- a telecomm products company -- runs its systems on NT4.0) has been EOL for sometime now, novell sees them as a primary target for migration. Novell has already for sometime had a large following in Europe as well. Supporting those clients by giving the stability of Linux and interoperability for old model Novell gives them a fairly consistent bit of revenue I imagine. Jack Messman has his head on straight, thats for certain.

Bandit
February 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
If Novel "knows" how it is done why the heck does my internet connection keep getting dropped on both SuSE 9.3 and 10.0 via dail-up and broadband. On two diferent machines at that??
Also YaST blows!! Worst package manager know to man kind..
Now, they are supposed to have totally redone the package manager for 10.1. I will download it when it released and give it a honest evaulation cause I really have always liked SuSE distro dispite its few flakes..
While they are at it I hope they fix the network problems.

I will give them some props with 10.0 tho.
Looks very very nice, Flash works on the default firefox 1.0.7 browser out of the box on AMD64 systems. Also my 3D hardware worked perfectly out of the box also.
There is two major pluses. I havent got either to work correctly on Breezy.

Cheers,
Joey

Virogenesis
February 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Well I don't know about that how many corporations use f-spot, banshee and ipods.
On this site http://linux.developpez.tv/ it has a clip of novell desktop 10 in action and it shows a ipod being used a digital camera being mounted its clearly progress and yes they have aimed it at work places I think but I do think home users will install it aswell.

Slate I think its called is much better than what we currently have.
If you look at where the progress is being made I'd say its at novell the improvements they are making are redefining linux on the whole.

No hammering that link.... I thought I'd add that as thats what someone put in the thread I got it from