PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7: no needs of keyboard anymore!!

frenchn00b
December 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hello,

My friend told me that now the new windows can be used directly by touching the screen or on the special tv. He said that this one is very great, and that you can talk to windows with the microphone, it understand a bit and can operate for you, and even that there is no need of keyboards anymore.

Sounds nice !!
Do we have such things under Linux, or is it planned?

SuperSonic4
December 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I think your friend is talking out of his ***.

The special tv will cost hundreds of thousands. Touch screens are not as efficient and quickly get smudged

The keyboard isn't going to die

RiceMonster
December 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
in b4 "We don't need that 'cause it's a Windows feature."

Tristam Green
December 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Well, Windows 7 does have Multitouch compatibility built-in, and the new "Hot Keyboard" application fully supports it, with a pretty intuitive interface. I read an article about it this morning, and it seems promising. I'd put a touchscreen mod into my AspireOne if I could simply use an on-screen keyboard.

SuperSonic4
December 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
How does one type [efficiently] without a keyboard?

kamaboko
December 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Dell Studio One's with 19" touch-screen start at $900. Obviously one can watch TV on these things, so having to come up with thousands and thousands of dollars to use this technology is false. By and large Linux user's will bash the hell out of this technology, until...it becomes available for Linux then they'll talk about how cool it is and how much better it is than Windows. :lolflag:

Tristam Green
December 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
How does one type [efficiently] without a keyboard?

If it's a capacitive touchscreen, it would take some slight getting used to, but would be easy after learning it.

Skripka
December 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
If it's a capacitive touchscreen, it would take some slight getting used to, but would be easy after learning it.

Meh. For workstations, a keyboard and high-res mouse would still be FAR FAR more efficient. Like so many things-they make for great demos, but only waste time and effort.

Confuzius
December 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Multi-touch support is in the pipes and will be natively available in due time.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMyMQ

As it stands you can use a non-multi-touch touchscreen with Linux no problem.

Tristam Green
December 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Meh. For workstations, a keyboard and high-res mouse would still be FAR FAR more efficient. Like so many things-they make for great demos, but only waste time and effort.

Of course. For any kind of *real* work, a keyboard and mouse is ideal. But what about for someone, say, like an assistant to a power-house executive? Someone who follows the other around, taking notes and dictations? Paper and pencil work, but that doesn't mean they should only be bound to just that.

Skripka
December 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
But what about for someone, say, like an assistant to a power-house executive? Someone who follows the other around, taking notes and dictations? Paper and pencil work, but that doesn't mean they should only be bound to just that.

A touchscreen would still be slower than pencil and paper, even if they've contrived a system simlar to Palm's graffiti text digitization....it is unwieldy for anything other than waving your arms around. I can't think of a single usable use for it.

All a touchscreen does is allow your to not be able to read your monitor due to all the fingerprints on it.

It makes a GREAT tech demo. But that is about it.

juancarlospaco
December 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Who cares...

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yes windows has touch screen, yes it has voice recognition, no it isn't perfected. I've tried controlling windows with the headset and mic using voice commands and it's not as fast as point and click.

sdowney717
December 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
i have seen it on tv adds and i immediatelty think why?

it would tire me out to constantly be touching the screen
it would smear up the screen
it might scratch it.

SuperSonic4
December 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM
i have seen it on tv adds and i immediatelty think why?

it would tire me out to constantly be touching the screen
it would smear up the screen
it might scratch it.

That's because you're one of those people who look at function over style and quite rightly too.

Unfortunately there are too many people who don't think that but buy it immediately

SunnyRabbiera
December 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Touchscreen support will come, as will voice recognition, its only a matter of time.

juancarlospaco
December 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
this goes here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356896)

mmix
December 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
my wish is
multi-touch & directdraw comes with FBUI or Haiku-os's GUI

no Xorg plz, it is old and stable, but big mess.

mikewhatever
December 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
No thank you. I much prefer a keyboard to the special TV. Yes another
reason not shell out money for W7.

murderslastcrow
December 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
We've had this for a while. My first Linux PC was a touchscreen, we have multi-touch now, and the Linux features for multi-touch are much more and great than the Windows 7 version. You can do a heck of a lot more with it in Linux.

frenchn00b
December 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Touchscreen support will come, as will voice recognition, its only a matter of time.

touchscreen is already ready for linux... but man, IT IS SLOW !!

voice recognition, yeah, forget. We'll get it 10-15 years after teh others. It is very complicated to program. But there is a kde one software for that.

it is SIMON, for Ubuntu: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bVV1kLZJ9xc/SnsjFxRuAYI/AAAAAAAAABg/bLME8gdoX0E/s1600-h/sam_3.png

wget "http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/speech2text/simon/0.2/libportaudio2_19%2Bsvn20090605-0ubuntu7_i386.deb"
wget "http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/project/speech2text/simon/0.2/simon-0.2-Linux_i386.deb"
apt-get -f install
dpkg -i "libportaudio2_19%2Bsvn20090605-0ubuntu7_i386.deb"
apt-get -f install
dpkg -i "simon-0.2-Linux_i386.deb"
apt-get -f install
dpkg -i "simon-0.2-Linux_i386.deb"