PDA

View Full Version : Turkish court rules out windows refund for all preinstalled windows sales!

barisurum
December 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
A court ruling in Turkey which happened recently gave consumers the right without appealing to any court to take a refund for the unused and preinstalled windows sales! The only thing the computer user has to do is to appeal to the regional Comitee for Consumer Rights and without a court process take the refund... Its in the news!

Bölvağur
December 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
hi, that is very cool. Do you have any links so that I can send it to my Consumer Rights organization and get them to pin down and beat up the people they need to, to get this too here.

barisurum
December 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Bölvağur,

All the links I have are in turkish but if they would help you here they are:

http://yenisafak.com.tr/Bilisim/Default.aspx?t=15.12.2009&i=228723
http://www.haberayna.com/Bilim-Microsofta-kotu-haber_22393.html
http://www.haber7.com/haber/20091215/Windows-vergisine-mahkeme-dur-dedi.php
http://haber.linux.org.tr/
http://www.zaman.com.tr/haber.do?haberno=928530

barisurum
December 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
PS: the refund includes interest too... :D

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Microsoft could do this voluntarily in the US and even make it headline news that they are doing such a thing and it would only effect such a small number of people who, one; are entitled to a refund and two; care enough to go after it, that they would hardly notice the dent in their pocket book.

for a large number of Linux users, they still use their Windows OS that came preinstalled because they want to play games they can not play on Linux. This makes them ineligible for a refund. that leaves only a very [relatively]small number of people eligible to receive such a refund.

barisurum
December 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
@linuxfanboi

The ruling is not about the microsoft's EULA its about OEM resellers forcing the buyers windows preinstalled computers. Its ruled out illegal now here in turkey, this means they will have to give an option to the customer. Its not important if the user uses windows or not. Its only for the past sales. The important thing is from now on the reseller can't say "we don't sell computers without windows".

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
@linuxfanboi

The ruling is not about the microsoft's EULA its about OEM resellers forcing the buyers windows preinstalled computers. Its ruled out illegal now here in turkey, this means they will have to give an option to the customer. Its not important if the user uses windows or not. Its only for the past sales. The important thing is from now on the reseller can't say "we don't sell computers without windows".

Okay take my post and replace "Microsoft" with OEM's and my statement is still valid.

I do agree with the intent behind the Turkish court's ruling however, and I wish something like this would become legally valid in the US. Unfortunately our legal system is far to corrupt for anything this reasonable and beneficial to the consumer to gain any traction here.

alexfish
December 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
A court ruling in Turkey which happened recently gave consumers the right without appealing to any court to take a refund for the unused and preinstalled windows sales! The only thing the computer user has to do is to appeal to the regional Comitee for Consumer Rights and without a court process take the refund... Its in the news!

Hope This Sets The Ball Rolling : Good To See Common Sense Coming From Somewhere

Sporkman
December 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Microsoft could do this voluntarily in the US and even make it headline news that they are doing such a thing and it would only effect such a small number of people who, one; are entitled to a refund and two; care enough to go after it, that they would hardly notice the dent in their pocket book.

By doing that, they would be validating the idea of their being alternate OSs that people want to use on generic PC hardware...

pricetech
December 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I like the concept. I hope it catches on. I have to wonder though how many users would actually take advantage of it.

witeshark17
December 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
What sweet news! :popcorn:

MooPi
December 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I eliminate the Windows tax by building my own. No need to worry about compatibility because you choose only what is known to work. Many of the people that visit the forum are here because of hardware incompatibility and are seeking a work around or a special procedure to get something working. I guess Turkey just gave their citizens a way out though.

barisurum
December 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
By the way the guy who made the claim is adv. Nihad Karsli from Pardus Users Association. Thanks to him very much for all his trouble!

kokoshmusun
March 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Nice, I'm moving back to Turkey in a few months and in my first computer purchase, I'm definitely evoking this option and getting my money back (and donating it to FOSS people), weeeheeeeeeee!!!

RabbitWho
March 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hurray!

That's awesome because technology is insanely expensive in turkey compared with the average wage. The refunds will be worth a LOT to a lot of people, it will even make the difference between being able to afford a computer and not!