PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is Koala so messed up?

Struki
December 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ok my anger is a result of some hours trying to solve all of the problems that I have with the latest version of ubuntu - 9.10. I understand that it's a fresh release and it takes time to polish out all the bugs and stuff, but I' mean c mon!!! I'm a fresh user and I started with 9.04 while it was relative fresh release and still I had less issues with it. I'm not some dumb kid trying to run Halo 3 on linux, I do have some experience with computers (some 10-15 years or so). So some of my problems:

I can't mount drives, I got this error message:
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1

I've used some tutorials to edit fstab file, so now my local partitions are mounted automatically, but if I plug in usb stick or a external hard, again I get the same error.

My other problem is somewhat trivial but nevertheless, I link my folders located on ntfs partition via desktop links (I drag the folder to desktop and use link here option), so every time I reboot they end up rearranged to some default place on my desktop, and its always the icons linking to the ntfs partition (it's a non file system partition).

So I've posted my problems all over, but no one seems to answer, I don't know if my problems are so unique or complicated or it's that my english is so bad and no one understands me...

So anyone pls shed some light!

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
What happens when you try:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

Struki
December 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This:

mount: mount point /mnt/usb does not exist

Techsnap
December 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
sudo mkdir /mnt/usb

Then try what wojox suggested.

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

Struki
December 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The above didn't help me much but i got an idea:

I've created directory:

sudo mkdir /media/usb

and then edited fstab and change the mount location to the folder i just made, so now my usb is mounted, but i got a feeling it's not the solution cause i still can manually mount or unmount any of the local partitions still getting the error:

Error unmounting: umount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
umount: only root can unmount /dev/sda1 from /media/disk

And what if I want to mount some other usb, I mean this was handeled automaticlly in 9.04

And how bout my icon problme?

xifer
December 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Possibly the permissions on your mount points are not right
try sudo chmod 777 /media/usb for a start and maybe also on /dev/sdb1

For your other issue, I'm guessing this is a gnome session?

Right click on the icon and look for a lock panel option

Struki
December 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
For your other issue, I'm guessing this is a gnome session?

Right click on the icon and look for a lock panel option

Yes it is, but I'm not talking about panel icons, I'm having problems with icons located on my desktop

spiderbatdad
December 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yes it is, but I'm not talking about panel icons, I'm having problems with icons located on my desktop

A well documented bug, it has not been fix-released yet. As to your original question, I don't know the answer, but empathize.