PDA

View Full Version : Intel charged by FTC, will intel give 1.25 billion to AMD?

HellionDarkLord
December 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
the PDF is here (http://www.ftc.gov/os/adjpro/d9341/091216intelcmpt.pdf)

Under the terms of the settlement, Intel will pay AMD $1.25 billion cash within 30 days. Among other key items
(statement (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2009/20091112corp_a.htm?iid=pr1_releasepri_20091112ra)) :

AMD and Intel both get patent rights in a cross-licensing pact;
Intel will give up any patent claims against AMD;
Intel will agree to adhere to business practice provisions;
And AMD drops all pending litigation against Intel.

This antitrust case challenges Intel’s unfair methods of competition and unfair acts or practices beginning in 1999 and continuing through today, and seeks to restore lost competition, remedy harm to consumers, and ensure freedom of choice for consumers in this critical segment of the nation’s economy.

Its monopoly threatened, Intel engaged in a number of unfair methods of competition and unfair practices to block or slow the adoption of competitive products and maintain its monopoly to the detriment of consumers.

There is also a dangerous probability that Intel’s unfair methods of competition could allow it to acquire a monopoly in the relevant GPU markets.

So that's why it is so difficult to find laptops with nvidia gpu's.

I bought an intel laptop and was sorely dissapointed with performance. Now I see that instead of putting forth energy making their products more appealing they decided to put energy into making other chipsete look bad.
These measures are intended to slow down developments in the relevant markets until Intel can catch up, and have had the effect of foreclosing competitive GPU products and slowing the development and widespread adoption of GP GPU computing.

GP GPU = General purpose GPU. take a look at parallel processing. CUDA:

NVIDIA® CUDA™ is a general purpose parallel computing architecture that leverages the parallel compute engine in NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to solve many complex computational problems in a fraction of the time required on a CPU. It includes the CUDA Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) and the parallel compute engine in the GPU.

CTM (close to metal by AMD)

In November 2006, AMD kicked off the GPGPU revolution with the introduction of CTM™ (for "Close To Metal").

Does Intel have parallel processing architecture? I can't find anything definitive.

Just thought a boycott of intel would benefit computing.

HD

Methuselah
December 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
The FTC's 'contemplated relief' is wonderfully comprehensive.
What does the settlement with AMD (by Intel) mean for the FTC's action?
Is that withdrawn?

Also, the FTC's PDF mentions NVidia and GPGPU market extensively.
It seems likely NVidia would benefit from the ruling as well.

Thanks for posting this.

Methuselah
December 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
OK, it seems clear that the FTC's suit is going ahead regardless of settlement between the affected parties.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/16/antitrust-amd-nvidia-techology-cio-network-intel.html

The FTC's suit comes after Intel settled an anti-trust suit brought by rival AMD last month by paying AMD $1.25 billion in cash, while agreeing to stop doing things it asserts it never did.

The FTC's complaint, however, makes it clear that regulators aren't about to drop the matter.

Its complaint mirrors charges long made by AMD, arguing that Intel has set up a system of "threats and rewards" aimed at personal computer and server manufacturers such as Dell ( DELL - news - people ), Hewlett-Packard and IBM.

Shades of Microsoft.

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
The problem I have with most regulatory laws, they're often full of loop holes. Sometimes those loop holes are there by design, lobbied for by big businesses and special interest. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel successfully defended itself, and if they loose in federal court, the decision will likely be overturned on appeal.

Sealbhach
December 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Shades of Microsoft.

Yes, but very difficult to prove.

HellionDarkLord
December 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I suggest advertising a boycott against Intel. Does someone know what strings to pull with the press to get this on the nationwide radar? Maybe if there were bikini strings involved it would go somewhere.

Maybe if scantily clad protesters stormed the computer stores with picket signs and portable radiant propane heaters to keep warm with it would get national attention. The more shameless the protesters the better... on many levels! LOL! Maybe add some pot use and something about Michael Jackson after two weeks to add to the allure for the press. Okay now I'm just dreaming.

HD

LinuxFanBoi
December 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Maybe if scantily clad protesters stormed the computer stores with picket signs and portable radiant propane heaters to keep warm with it would get national attention.

We'll start in the southern hemisphere. It's summer time, and we can save money on propane.

Gizenshya
December 18th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I'm boycotting Intel.

1.25 billion doesn't begin to be enough deterrant for Intel, though.