PDA

View Full Version : open ipod alternative

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I use Cowon's D2+. It plays ogg and flac files out of the box and has excellent battery life.
Just wanted to give a good portable music player its due shout.

Chronon
December 17th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Rockbox mostly works on these players now too.

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Does it play videos? What bitrates and sizes (dimensions)?

what file formats does it support?

Any file size limits or anything?

I've had players before and the only way I found out these things was from trial and error, and some minimal hints in the manual.

I hate my Zen player. It has great quality audio and video, and great compatibility with pretty much everything (including easy copy/paste and auto library builds), but getting the darned thing to actually turn on is like unceasing an engine. Sometimes it takes an hour or more (literally). It is basically a brick most of the time. Once it gets going it works well (till it is turned off again).

But anyway, I've been looking around fr a while, unimpressed by current offerings. This Cowen d2+ looks promising. The S9 does as well, but it doesn't come in a 4gb version.

LowSky
December 17th, 2009, 05:15 AM
SanDisk Sansa Clip+

8GB of storage but also can upgrade to 24GB with MicroSD card, 40GB once 32GB MicroSD cards are readily availible.
Plays MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, plus audio books and podcasts
15Hours of Playback
Built in Microphone and Radio Tuner
And has a built in clip

staf0048
December 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
SanDisk Sansa Clip+

8GB of storage but also can upgrade to 24GB with MicroSD card, 40GB once 32GB MicroSD cards are readily availible.
Plays MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, plus audio books and podcasts
15Hours of Playback
Built in Microphone and Radio Tuner
And has a built in clip

+1

Ditto for the Sansa Fuze. I trashed my nano after converting all my files to .ogg. My Fuze plays them natively, plus the FM tuner is nice when I get tired of my library. I hear it plays videos, but I have not tried that out yet.

Warpnow
December 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I wish the crappy chinese factory mp3 players would gain some kind of uniformity. The hardware is often quite satisfactory, just really crappy software.

Dragonbite
December 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I use Cowon's D2+. It plays ogg and flac files out of the box and has excellent battery life.
Just wanted to give a good portable music player its due shout.

Do you have a link with product information?

My iPod shuffle's battery is not doing so well, and if I can convert my music library (re-rip?) to Ogg and have a player then that would be sweet!

Keeps me from having to install the MP3 codec every time I install Linux on a system (which is fairly often). I do have a free Fluendo MP3 codec, but it is still a pain.

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM
www.Cowonamerica.com

In my experience the actual battery life is 85-97 hrs.