PDA

View Full Version : Free E-Book from Microsoft Research (recommended read)

phrostbyte
December 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/UM/redmond/about/collaboration/fourthparadigm/4th_PARADIGM_BOOK_complete_HR.pdf

In the book, they advocate creating a shared cloud / data store for scientific data and research. They also advocate that world governments significantly fund open source software (they say this without explictly mentioning FOSS), for example "Some research communities use MATLAB, for example, but the funding agencies in the U.S. and elsewhere need to do a lot more to foster the building of tools to make scientists more productive."

It seems almost freaky to come out of a Microsoft department, but remember this is were the smart people hang out. :p

phrostbyte
December 17th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I forgot to add, it comes with pictures! :P

oldsoundguy
December 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Cloud computing will, eventually, make a complicated operating system totally obsolete! EVERYTHING will be done through your browser. Both programs and the data they generate will no longer be on your computer. And for that "service" there will be FEES!!

So FOSS and the like are really not the big threat to MS .... IN THE LONG RUN. However, right now Windows is their source of income until cloud is in place in enough places to change the way things are done.

ALL of your social networking sites run on a cloud based system now .. and some paid gaming sites are doing the switch, so it HAS begun.

Adobe is offering cloud based on some of their programs, and Quicken has launched an IE only cloud but will soon change to universal browsing. (probably about the time of the release of IE 9 .. which is under construction right now.

You will not recognize on line activities as you know them within 5 years.

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 05:27 AM
ahh, I love MATLAB! I used to use that program all the time as an engineering student. It is pretty powerful, actually.

Some simulations are now being run with cloud systems... even though they weren't called that until recently. Capsim is one example that I've had experience with.

Personally, I don't like the trend toward cloud computing (outside the research community on supercomputers). I can lose and destroy my own data well enough as it is: I don't need help! :p

phrostbyte
December 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM
ahh, I love MATLAB! I used to use that program all the time as an engineering student. It is pretty powerful, actually.

Some simulations are now being run with cloud systems... even though they weren't called that until recently. Capsim is one example that I've had experience with.

Personally, I don't like the trend toward cloud computing (outside the research community on supercomputers). I can lose and destroy my own data well enough as it is: I don't need help! :p

I agree, but the privacy implications don't really exist in this case. Imagine if all grant-funded scientific data was publicly accessible in a datastore on the 'net. Oh and the grant funding agencies also developed open source tools to work with that data? I think it's a brilliant idea really.

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
OK, remove the supercomputing part. After a quick thought, I do agree that science and technology should be open. Knowledge shouldn't be hoarded for the few, but used for the progress of all. Anything other than opening up raw data for public analysis limits human progress to the insight and imagination of the few. I think everyone has had the experience of making a huge leap in a design or problem by forgetting about it for a while to get a fresh perspective. Now, if the whole world could second-guess us... it would be like turning the cloud computing back towards us-- computing with the human cloud (of researchers). Hmmm... I like this...

There are programs/sites around that are trying, with varying degrees of "open-ness" to put large datasets online. wolframalpha is one, but it is fairly closed as far as I can tell. You can run certain commands on data, but the data sets are not open.

climateonestop is another. I think it is just for environmental/climate data. It might be mostly published studies, though, with limited raw data.

Unfortunately, most of the professional databases I've used seem geared toward published papers, and not data.

But yeah, much can be learned rummaging through secondary data with the proper imagination and data-analysis tools like MATLAB and Minitab (another program I adore).

alexfish
December 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/UM/redmond/about/collaboration/fourthparadigm/4th_PARADIGM_BOOK_complete_HR.pdf

In the book, they advocate creating a shared cloud / data store for scientific data and research. They also advocate that world governments significantly fund open source software (they say this without explictly mentioning FOSS), for example "Some research communities use MATLAB, for example, but the funding agencies in the U.S. and elsewhere need to do a lot more to foster the building of tools to make scientists more productive."

It seems almost freaky to come out of a Microsoft department, but remember this is were the smart people hang out. :p

Before you go there Take This and drop in in the post bag

##################################### Install Hook ########################################

################## Source: mscordbi.vrg

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug.1]
@="Microsoft Common Language Runtime andbugger it"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug.1\CLSID]
@="{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug]
@="Microsoft Common Language Runtime Debugger"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug\CurVer]
@="ComPlusDebug.CorDebug.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug\CLSID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\ProgID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="ComPlusDebug.CorDebug and BUGGER the lot" :lolflag:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\ ISInsertable]

beloved88
December 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Cloud computing will, eventually, make a complicated operating system totally obsolete! EVERYTHING will be done through your browser. Both programs and the data they generate will no longer be on your computer. And for that "service" there will be FEES!!

So FOSS and the like are really not the big threat to MS .... IN THE LONG RUN.

Google's long term business model is entirely Cloud based, but the service is pretty much free of direct charge (allowing exceptions, you can purchase 20 gigs of space for like 5$ a year or something like that). They've been preparing for this for years. First there was Gmail, one of the first services to offer a whole Gig of online storage. Then there were things like Youtube and other multimedia sharing stuff (suprized they haven't gotten into music, a la LALA, which i use more often than Banshee these days, since you can upload your own collection to stream, and for a netbook, that's great, because it gives me access to my whole collection without having to actually have it all on my netbook, that only has a 32gb SSD and 16gb SDHC). And then came Google docs. I'm sure this one sent a chill down Bill Gates' spine. It's still not as functional as MS Office or Oo.o or KOffice, but it's a step in that direction, and a number of people use it over anything for everything but the fine tuning/formating and printing. What's all this leading up to? Google's ChromeOS, a linux based OS with integrated browser. It sounds a lot loke Moblin to me though. From what I've read ChromeOS will not support HDD storage, only small SSD, and everything is stored on Google's Cloud. None of this will have a monetary price tag, that's not google's business model, they will use all the information they have on you to sell billions and billions of dollars worth of advertising. It IS the end of the world as we know it.

alexfish
December 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Students for Free Culture (http://freeculture.org/)
(http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1113/)I forgot to add, it comes with pictures! :P

More Sence:guitar::popcorn::lolflag:

phrostbyte
December 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Before you go there Take This and drop in in the post bag

##################################### Install Hook ########################################

################## Source: mscordbi.vrg

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug.1]
@="Microsoft Common Language Runtime andbugger it"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug.1\CLSID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug\CurVer]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ComPlusDebug.CorDebug\CLSID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\ProgID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="ComPlusDebug.CorDebug and BUGGER the lot" :lolflag:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6FEF44D0-39E7-4C77-BE8E-C9F8CF988630}\ ISInsertable]

lolwut :???:

Gizenshya
December 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
lolwut :???:

x2

http://www.outerspacecrew.net/NETFXSBS10.hkf

wtf is it?