PDA

View Full Version : System 76

ubudog
December 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Is it any good?

3rdalbum
December 17th, 2009, 03:44 AM
You didn't mention if you've looked on Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=system76+reviews).

stmiller
December 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM
They have a forum section here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341

ubudog
December 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Yeah seems pretty cool.

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I've heard good things.

As with any laptop, I always recommend getting the base system and upgrading it yourself. They make their killings on parts added on at purchase. Only later do most people find out that the "upgrade" cost is often 2-3 times the total cost of the upgraded part.

chucky chuckaluck
December 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
never had a non-cat related problem with mine. very satisfied.

yester64
December 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I've heard good things.

As with any laptop, I always recommend getting the base system and upgrading it yourself. They make their killings on parts added on at purchase. Only later do most people find out that the "upgrade" cost is often 2-3 times the total cost of the upgraded part.

So what you buy? Best CPU in it, minimum ram and standart harddrive?
Don't you void the warranty if you open the laptop?
Never bought a laptop but was thinking to buy one. So i always like to learn the tricks with buying a laptop. :)

jwbrase
December 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Is it any good?

Well, I'm posting from a System 76 laptop, and am so far a happy customer.

jwbrase
December 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Have you tried:

man cat?

:P

Or do you mean that trying to pass Fluffy as an argument to cat had unpleasant results?

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM
So what you buy? Best CPU in it, minimum ram and standart harddrive?
Don't you void the warranty if you open the laptop?
Never bought a laptop but was thinking to buy one. So i always like to learn the tricks with buying a laptop. :)

Well, I get the CPU I desire (not necessarily the best). Changing CPU is more intensive in a laptop than in a desktop. So, changing a CPU later isn't a good option. (you suggested that you know that already, but some people might not :) )

I usually get the standard/base hard drive. I prefer 3.5" HDD's (external) for storage because they are cheaper and more reliable, but that's me. 1TB external 3.5" HDD's are usually ~$100. Buying a 500 GB external 2.5" hard drive (usually $60-$70) is usually cheaper than upgrading from, say, 340 GB to 500 GB at purchase. So, I'd keep the standard HDD and get an external later. Plus, it is easy to use an external hard drive with multiple computers.

RAM: I get the cheapest and upgrade always. It is just cheaper to do this.

As far as the warranty goes, that is completely up to the company. Sometimes certain things do void the warranty, other times it doesn't. Generally, upgrading RAM and hard drives does not void warranties. But it is always best to email them and check.

I'm on a slow connection, so I can't view much on that site. But, usually sites have things like bags, USB mice, webcams, microphones, speakers, and many other accessories available at purchase are much cheaper for the same product if you wait and buy later. Unless the item is only available for that laptop at the site, just get it later. The keyboard I'm using now was $130 to add on at purchase (with this computer-- not purchased by me), but you can easily buy it for $40-$50 online. That is basically $100 pure profit just for selling this keyboard at purchase. I could have had... what... 5 lapdances for that! ÜÜÜÜüüüüggg!!!

Some people to pay more for convenience... but some people (like me) don't have money to make convenient choices :)

ubudog
December 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
You didn't mention if you've looked on Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=system76+reviews).

:lolflag:

dark joev
December 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Okay I am looking to getting a laptop and have been trying to compare the stock Dell Ubuntu Laptops to the System76. Which is better? It seems that System76 is better priced and well they only sell Ubuntu but I guess I am worried about how well they are built and if they really are better than a Dell I have only bought from Dell in the past and I guess I am scared of getting a computer and finding out that it is a peice of junk or something. I may also be getting a desktop soon too. For College and editing photos, 3d models and many other things like that (General Artist Stuff).

Georgia boy
December 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Have you also looked into ZaReason? I can't remember their prices. Been awhile since I was on their site checking. If I remember right they also send a screwdriver so you can open it up and wander around in it. Here's the link: http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

Might want to check it out also and see what you think.

Tom

gletob
December 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Have you tried:

man cat?

:P

Or do you mean that trying to pass Fluffy as an argument to cat had unpleasant results?

I'd consider rm rf'ing my cat if he messed up my computer.

steveneddy
December 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have owned many laptops from System76 and am very happy.

Groucho Marxist
December 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
I purchased a Pangolin Performance and I couldn't be happier; especially when comparing the technical specifications of their machines to their respective prices. At the Mac Store on campus, I would pay more than twice what I paid for my System76 laptop while receiving less than half of the power "under the hood" of the machine.

Cuddles McKitten
December 21st, 2009, 02:01 AM
I purchased a Pangolin Performance and I couldn't be happier; especially when comparing the technical specifications of their machines to their respective prices. At the Mac Store on campus, I would pay more than twice what I paid for my System76 laptop while receiving less than half of the power "under the hood" of the machine.

Ditto.

Cam42
December 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM

Story time.

matthew
December 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
I bought a laptop from them a year ago and blogged about it then (http://matthewhelmke.net/2008/12/17/my-experience-with-system76/). Exactly 12 months later, I am still very pleased with the hardware and exceptionally pleased with their customer service. I had one problem, sent them an email with a full description and they helped me sort it out, to the point that they sent me a replacement hard drive without any hassle in the process (the problem turned out not the be their fault!).

toupeiro
December 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I've two co-workers that have bought them and have nothing but great things to say.