PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] saved files wont show up on dektop

mikejaron
December 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
im using the newest ubuntu and when im online and download a file, (mainly .pdf) to my desktop it doesn't show up. even when i go into my filesystem and look under desktop its not there and its trying to load, but nothing ever shows up. but when i try to save something else to my desktop, like in office or an image, the files (the .pdf's that are not on the desktop) show up in the "save file" box and the saved file will show up on the desktop. Also i just started using chrome for my browser, it seemed to never do this before when i used firefox. but now when i do use firefox it does the same thing.

Yvan300
December 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
You sure it did not save in downloads? That seems to be the default . Well if you're still getting those bugs then why not install chromium. Google chrome originated from this project. So they're basically the same.

Tek-E
December 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Try using :

ls -al | grep name_of_file.jpg

To see if it is there. You might just have to use ls -al.
If you find the file but with a dot before the name like

.filename.jpg

It means the file is being hidden when it is being saved.

I would check your download/save settings on your browser.

Tek-E
December 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
You sure it did not save in downloads? That seems to be the default . Well if you're still getting those bugs then why not install chromium. Google chrome originated from this project. So they're basically the same.

Ha Ha Didn't even think of that.
+ 1

mikejaron
December 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
haha def did not save it to downloads, triple checked that

mikejaron
December 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
so i tried the code (ls -al | grep name_of_file.jpg) and it says that there is no such file or directory

mikejaron
December 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
thanks for all the help, it seems all my computer needs was a restart now everything is working fine