PDA

View Full Version : Stuff that doesn't make sense.

kevin1gamer
December 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why is that when you transport something by ship it's called cargo and when you transport something by car it's called a shipment?

Why is it called an ATM machine when the "M" in ATM stands for machine, therefore making it an "Automated Teller Machine machine"?

Why is it called ISN news when the "N" in ISN stands for news, therefore making it "Interstellar News News"?

If a fly didn't have wings, would you call it a walk?

Feel free to post other stuff like this here.

fromthehill
December 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
you can get sued for getting in the way of a burglar in your own house. and the burglar wins

slakkie
December 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Windows (sorry :P)

The Real Dave
December 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The main centre of my school is called An Lar, literally The Centre in Irish. Yet people continue to call it The An Lar. The The Centre :confused:

NoaHall
December 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm surprised this one hasn't been said yet - your face!

(Note, this is a joke. I repeat, a joke.)

aaaantoine
December 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
The main centre of my school is called An Lar, literally The Centre in Irish. Yet people continue to call it The An Lar. The The Centre :confused:

At least they don't call it "the An Lar Centre".

Ruiizu1990
December 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Why do we bake cookies and cook bacon?

juancarlospaco
December 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
windows (sorry :p)

+1

whiskeylover
December 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I actually bake bacon and cook cookies.

Marlonsm
December 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've already seen people that say the have a TV with a liquid crystal LCD display.

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Why do they always tell you to get on the plane when clearly you are meant to get in the plane.

--George Carlin, May he rest in peace.

MaxIBoy
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Why is it that the two most severe punishments in common use today are life and death?

PurposeOfReason
December 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
e^(pi*i) = -1

t0p
December 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
And then there's PIN numbers...

Oh yeah, and that perennial favourite: I could care less...

cariboo
December 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
There is a lake just south of here called Lac La Hache, or Lake of the Axe. One of the dispatchers of a company I used to work for insisted on calling it Lac La Hache Lake.

cammin
December 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM

The park in parkway refers to it's park-like appearance from having grass and trees in the median.

People park on driveways because they're using them wrong.

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
People park on driveways because they're using them wrong.
Or because they need to clean the crap out of their garage.

Why writing something in BASIC makes you hungry for spaghetti.

Chronon
December 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Why is it called an ATM machine when the "M" in ATM stands for machine, therefore making it an "Automated Teller Machine machine"?
That one's just wrong. I always simply say "ATM".

My hometown's high school team was the "Daggers". The name of the town was Pahoa. Tranlation: Pahoa Daggers = Dagger Daggers

Chronon
December 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
e^(pi*i) = -1
Don't like radians, eh? ;)

PurposeOfReason
December 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Don't like radians, eh? ;)
Not really, and I'm minoring in math. :D

JDShu
December 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
People order a double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Non-dairy creamer

alphaniner
December 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I see your non-dairy creamer and raise you skim milk. :-&

-grubby
December 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Why spambot exist? How spam make money?

dragos240
December 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM

Why is that when you transport something by ship it's called cargo and when you transport something by car it's called a shipment?

Why is it called ISN news when the "N" in ISN stands for news, therefore making it "Interstellar News News"?

If a fly didn't have wings, would you call it a walk?

Feel free to post other stuff like this here.

Why can't you stop making 1 line threads leading to your videos.

Marvin666
December 17th, 2009, 12:53 AM
CRT tube. "cathode ray tube tube"

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I see your non-dairy creamer and raise you skim milk. :-&

I see your skim-milk and raise you Half & Half!

Shibblet
December 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I see your skim-milk and raise you Half & Half!

I see your half-and-half, and raise you a "Lactose Free" Milk.

3rdalbum
December 17th, 2009, 02:46 AM
There's a town here called Joondalup. Joondalup means "A place by the water". There is a lake here called Lake Joondalup. So the lake is a lake by the lake.

Why do some geographic features have the type of feature before the name, and some have it after the name?

For instance:

LAKE Joondalup
Herne HILL
MOUNT Everest
Dog SWAMP.

People here say "The Tour de France". Why mix English and French? They should either call it "Le Tour de France" or "The Tour of France".

When you watch Dr Phil and there's a woman who's been verbally abused by her husband, she can repeat all the words the husband called her, except for one: "The n-word". How can you repeat all those nasty words and then use a childish abbreviation?

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Western Australian suburbs (from memory - correct me if I am wrong)

Upper Swan (that suburb will soon be banned by Steve Conroy! - an Australian Federal (feral) Politician, eg a lying, deceptive, manipulative, self serving, moronic type of person - in other words, a typical Australian politician)

Innaloo (many from Wall Street have moved to THAT suburb!)

Cl0ud9
December 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM
MTV - Used to be music television, but not so much anymore.

Touchdown - If a player scores a touchdown he can't be touched down.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
In b4 mod.

Lets pretend reality doesn't exist, shall we?!

Chronon
December 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM
MTV - Used to be music television, but not so much anymore.

Touchdown - If a player scores a touchdown he can't be touched down.

In rugby you have to touch the ball down in the end zone to score a try, yet in American football you merely have to break the plane. No touch down involved in a touchdown!

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I see your half-and-half, and raise you a "Lactose Free" Milk.

I see your "Lactose Free" milk and raise you Acidophilus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCZRXW-pFcE

Marlonsm
December 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
People order a double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

You forgot the icecream.

benj1
December 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
There is a lake just south of here called Lac La Hache, or Lake of the Axe. One of the dispatchers of a company I used to work for insisted on calling it Lac La Hache Lake.

here in the uk.
river thames -> muddy river (from latin)
river mersey -> boundary river (anglo saxon)
avon, wye, tyne -> you guessed it

airedale valley, where dale means valley.
lake windemere, mere means lake

i like inverness, 'inver' is the mouth of a river, 'ness' i a promontory.

there are probably 100s more

whoop
December 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Makes me think of Windows 2000:
Based on "NT Technology"

Penguin Guy
December 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've already seen people that say the have a TV with a liquid crystal LCD display.
You saw them say it?

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Why do they put Braille on drive up ATM's?

Why do they bother having Closed Captioning for MTV? They even put little music notes on there so you'll know the people are singing.

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
You saw them say it?

No, he saw the people that say it.

benj1
December 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Makes me think of Windows 2000:
Based on "NT Technology"

"introducing Microsoft's new NT technology"
(excerpt from a press release that may or may not have been released)

Tristam Green
December 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Non-dairy creamer

Lactose-intolerance, but still wanting the same effect of milk/dairy - what's so weird about that?

Why spambot exist? How spam make money?

A perfect question, my good man! One that I can't for the life of me make heads or tails of, considering our dear friend kevin1gamer's actions. I mean, it's almost like he posts the same things EVERYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

benj1
December 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Lactose-intolerance, but still wanting the same effect of milk/dairy - what's so weird about that?

that makes even less sense, what do you drink in the first months of your life?

Marlonsm
December 17th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You saw them say it?

Another one to the list...
But you got what I mean.

lisati
December 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Why is it called a PIN number when the "N" stands for number, therefore making it a "Personal Identification Number number"?

Why is it called "ASB Bank" when the B stands for "Bank", making it "Auckland Savings Bank Bank"? Similarly with the TSB Bank? (Both are real banks here in NZ)

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigtime_Scrub
December 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
you can get sued for getting in the way of a burglar in your own house. and the burglar wins

Not in Texas. :guitar:

As far the others go, it is improper English to say ATM machine as the OP pointed out it is redundant. As far as ISN goes the same rules would apply. (Nice Babylon 5 reference.)

Cargo is an older word than shipment from the Spanish word cargar (to load). Shipment means to carry goods in a large vehicle so it is specific to cars/trucks. It can also mean the act of shipping cargo. Cargo is synonymous with freight and shipment but is more specific to commercial freight.

I am my own source on this, I have a B.A. in English. If I'm wrong go ahead and point it out. I used to be anal about this stuff.

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

Bigtime_Scrub
December 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The dumb one is when people say something is "centered around" something else. How can something be in the "center" and still be "around" it. That phrase makes no logical sense.

pricetech
December 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Deep

saulgoode
December 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The Seattle Aquarium has placards in front of the tanks with translations in Braille.

fancypiper
December 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If your nose runs and your feet smell, are you built backwards?

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM
that makes even less sense, what do you drink in the first months of your life?

Soy based baby formula, if you're lactose intolerant. ;)

starcannon
December 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endor_%28Star_Wars%29). Now think about it; that does not make sense!
Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewok)? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this thread! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a geek ranting on a major Linux forum, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're reading this at home deliberatin' and conjugatin' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_conjugation) the Emancipation Proclamation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation), does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed thread, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must agree that this thread does not make sense! The geek rests.

juancarlospaco
December 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Apple saying that their PC's aren't PC's

jfbooth
December 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Panama hats are made in Ecuador.

spcwingo
December 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
What about buildings? Shouldn't they be called builts (unless, of course, they're still being constructed)?

Chronon
December 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
What about buildings? Shouldn't they be called builts (unless, of course, they're still being constructed)?

Nice.

dragos240
December 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Paradoxes. They don't make sense.

LinuxFanBoi
December 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Being offended by an avatar. Get a grip!

user1397
December 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Not counting beans when in the community cafe...had to do it especially since I just amde a thread about it like a second ago hehe.

benj1
December 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Soy based baby formula, if you're lactose intolerant. ;)

for a mammal it doesn't make sense, it isn't exactly the best survival strategy is it.

im surprised no one has mentioned RAID array, or any use of Redundant, Array, Inexpensive or Disks in describing your RAID.

<off topic>
what would you call a redundant (as in not been used at the moment) RAID, calling it a redundant RAID seems kind of, redundant.

guvnr
December 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
bridging openvpn, today anyhow, hrmphh

.. still, nice coffee break, ta y'all

3rdalbum
December 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Why do they bother having Closed Captioning for MTV?

Two reasons: If you read the lyrics of a song, it's basically a poem. So deaf people can still enjoy having the visual of a music video, and know what is being said, and enjoy the lyrics and rhymes.

Second reason is that there are deaf parents with kids who can hear. The parents would want to know the lyrics that are in the song that the kids are watching on TV.

lol @ chewbacca.

When you go to look up Rickroll on Youtube, why are all the videos ACTUALLY of Rick Astley? Shouldn't they be something that you weren't expecting?

jwbrase
December 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I fry bacon.

stuart.reinke
December 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Soy milk. How do you milk a bean? Where do you attach the milking machine?:confused:

mick222
December 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
for a mammal it doesn't make sense, it isn't exactly the best survival strategy is it..

Lactose intolerance is an allergy to cows milk ,the milk of a different species intolerance to mothers milk is usually because the mother has eaten or drunk dairy products.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endor_%28Star_Wars%29). Now think about it; that does not make sense!
Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewok)?South Park. Lol.

It's wrong, though. He was from Kashyyk. I don't think he ever actually lived on Endor.

Two reasons: If you read the lyrics of a song, it's basically a poem. So deaf people can still enjoy having the visual of a music video, and know what is being said, and enjoy the lyrics and rhymes.

Second reason is that there are deaf parents with kids who can hear. The parents would want to know the lyrics that are in the song that the kids are watching on TV.
Good points. You still didn't address the Braille on drive up ATMs, though. :)

guvnr
December 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM

I fry bacon.

.. and I bake fries 8-[

dnairb
December 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hamburger made with beef
Hotdog without the dog
Go to a resturant and use their bathroom - no baths

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM

That's why in restaurants we call them restrooms. ;)

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewok)? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this thread! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a geek ranting on a major Linux forum, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're reading this at home deliberatin' and conjugatin' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_conjugation) the Emancipation Proclamation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation), does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed thread, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must agree that this thread does not make sense! The geek rests.

It's wrong, though. He was from Kashyyk. I don't think he ever actually lived on Endor.

Awesome SP reference aside, (and it's spelled Kashyyyk with three K's), Kashyyyk was pretty much decimated by the Empire shortly after the events in Episode III (The Battle of Kashyyyk), and the Wookiees were corralled up and forced to do the manual labor portions in building the first Death Star. During this time, as well, Chewbacca's entire family - his wife and children, were killed in a strike by the Empire.

I'd want to spend a little time away from home as well if that were the case :|

Linoel
December 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Last night i went to the Cinema and When i got to the boys room there where no boys just toilets!!

Why do you call it a sandwich when there's no Sand on it?

benj1
December 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hamburger made with beef
Hotdog without the dog

hamburgers are named after hamburg, so it would be more accurate to question hamburgers that don't come from hamburg.

to be fair most names for the bog don't actually reflect what we do there, 'rest room','WC', or 'just going powdering your nose'. no one says "i'm off to the pisser".

Awesome SP reference aside, (and it's spelled Kashyyyk with three K's)
this doesn't make sense

3rdalbum
December 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hamburger made with beef

Everybody knows this - it's because the food originated in Hamburg. The same with a "hot dog" - it's actually known as a Frankfurter, which also refers to the town where it originated.

What doesn't make sense is when people say "Bacon Burger" - was this one invented in Baconburg?

What word would you prefer - Restroom? You don't rest in it - there are no beds. Down here they are always referred to as toilets, which is very proper and correct.

I can't explain the braille in the drive-up ATMs sorry. We don't have them here.

Ylon
December 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I agree with dissociation in this.

jayze
December 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Last night i went to the Cinema and When i got to the boys room there where no boys just toilets!!

Why do you call it a sandwich when there's no Sand on it?

Invented by the Earl of Sandwich who was so busy hunting that he didnt have time for lunch and shoved his meat inbetween two pieces of bread to take with him ...but where Sandwich is exactly I do not know!...as for the boys in the loos...one needs to be carefull what one says lol..where you actually looking for boys or toilets one wonders ! lol (joke!)(um hope they dont chuck me off the forums um how far can one go?) In all my years on this planet one thing I have learned is........ Never Wonder Why!:P

benj1
December 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Invented by the Earl of Sandwich who was so busy hunting that he didnt have time for lunch and shoved his meat inbetween two pieces of bread to take with him ...but where Sandwich is exactly I do not know!...as for the boys in the loos...one needs to be carefull what one says lol..where you actually looking for boys or toilets one wonders ! lol (joke!)(um hope they dont chuck me off the forums um how far can one go?) In all my years on this planet one thing I have learned is........ Never Wonder Why!:P

it was playing cards, not hunting.
sandwich is in kent i think.

cariboo
December 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
hamburgers are named after hamburg, so it would be more accurate to question hamburgers that don't come from hamburg.

to be fair most names for the bog don't actually reflect what we do there, 'rest room','WC', or 'just going powdering your nose'. no one says "i'm off to the pisser".

this doesn't make sense

I have a friend the emigrated from Scotland, about 30 years ago that still refers it as a pisser on occasion.

alphaniner
December 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Being offended by an avatar. Get a grip!

I was surprised your avatar lasted as long as it did.

Tristam Green
December 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
this doesn't make sense

/facepalm. no lie. three Y's, not K's lol.

lisati
December 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Soy milk. How do you milk a bean? Where do you attach the milking machine?:confused:
If you get coconut oil from coconuts, and you can get motor oil from motor oils, where does baby oil come from?

No thanks, I don't need to use the bath. The facilities I want have their own room.

WC="Water Closet".
My parents once got hold of a book, "Flushed with pride", about a gentleman by the name of Thomas Crapper, who became famous in connection with his work with toilets. No kidding! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

cariboo
December 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I can't explain the braille in the drive-up ATMs sorry. We don't have them here.

I used to work for NCR, keypads where specified by the customer, here in Canada to keep the price of parts down, there was only one keypad used no matter where the terminal was located.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome SP reference aside, (and it's spelled Kashyyyk with three K's)Since we're picking at typos ... :D

no one says "i'm off to the pisser".
Don't be so sure about that.

I used to work for NCR, keypads where specified by the customer, here in Canada to keep the price of parts down, there was only one keypad used no matter where the terminal was located.There's an answer for everything on these forums.

jwbrase
December 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Lactose intolerance is an allergy to cows milk ,the milk of a different species intolerance to mothers milk is usually because the mother has eaten or drunk dairy products.

Wrong. There are milk allergies, that probably are species-specific, but they are a different thing than lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance is an inability to digest lactose, which is present in the milk of all mammals in varying amounts. Normally, in humans, the ability to digest lactose (human or otherwise) shuts down soon after a child is weaned, but among Europeans, and a few other groups, because of genetics and because a cultural predisposition to keep feeding a child animal milk after weaning, lactose digestion shuts down later or not at all. Lactose intolerance is actually normal, with 75% of adults (depending strongly upon what ethnic group they're from) being lactose intolerant. Lactose tolerant people can become intolerant because of certain intestinal diseases. There's also a genetic defect that causes people to be born lactose intolerant, but these people generally died in infancy before the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

juancarlospaco
December 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Saying "Windows OPERATING system"

benj1
December 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
If you get coconut oil from coconuts, and you can get motor oil from motor oils, where does baby oil come from?

ive never got motor oil from motor oils.
baby oil comes from baby seals
<cute pic of baby seal/>

WC="Water Closet".
My parents once got hold of a book, "Flushed with pride", about a gentleman by the name of Thomas Crapper, who became famous in connection with his work with toilets. No kidding! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

"Water closet" still isnt explicit in what it does, it isn't a closet where you store water.