PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Full install & Virtual

topdog2009
December 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am using an HP laptop with Ubuntu & Windows Vista installed on a dual boot system. I am having problems connecting to the internet using Ubuntu with both a Bell USB stick and wifi. I am receiving advice through the Forum trying to connect using wifi but I am not close to a wifi source and my access is limited.

Is it possible to have Ubuntu installed as a dual boot AND on a virtual machine - I currently have Sun xVM Virtual Box installed. I believe that, if I can do this then I can boot up using Windows, log into the web using the Bell stick and access Ubuntu and therefore update all of the programs that need updating.

Please confirm whether this is possible and if so how I go about it.

Thanks

Brian

Dennis N
December 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Certainly you can have Ubuntu in a dual boot setup and also running in a virtual machine. With VirtualBox running in Vista, it is essentially a Vista application and can access the internet as such. Ubuntu running in that virtual machine should connect as well since VirtualBox serves as a go between. I don't see how this will help the dual boot Ubuntu installation, however.

Good Luck.

topdog2009
December 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

I appreciate that it will not help using the dual boot but hopefully I can Update the dual boot Ubuntu programs that need it.

Brian

snowpine
December 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
You would have two separate Ubuntu installs in this scenario: the dual boot, and the virtual machine. Updating one would not update the other.

topdog2009
December 17th, 2009, 08:37 PM
When using windows I can often save the upgrades and then install later.

Can I download the upgrades for Ubuntu in the virtual scenario, save them to a stick and then upgrade the dual boot from the stick.