PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenOffice hangs on large graphics

Paddy Landau
December 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I use Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 with Open Office 3.1.1.

I have a bit of a problem. Every month, I create a document with Open Office (40-44 pages).

Then, I add a number of JPG pictures (around 15-25Mb) into the document.

It seems that when the document gets too "full" (around three-quarters of the JPGs in the document), OpenOffice won't let me save.

1Gb RAM, 2Gb swap: When I save, OO thinks for a bit, then the hard drive goes crazy and the machine comes to a standstill, non-responsive. Even after a long time, the hard drive is still going mad, and the only way to get out is to cut the power to the machine.
I increased the swap to 4Gb. Now, when I save, OO thinks for a bit and then crashes.
I tried this on a different machine (Jaunty 9.04) with 2Gb Ram, 2Gb swap, and it worked successfully.

So. It seems that Open Office won't save a large file even with a big swap partition if the RAM is too small.

Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this -- apart from buying new hardware?

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
How about if you go to Tools > Options > Memory and adjust the Graphics cache ?

audiomick
December 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Have a look at your disc space usage.
On a friend#s machine, OO started having problems with pictures ( albeit different to yours ).

The cause turned out to be that the / partition was full. (4.8 GB in a nearly 5GB partition).

Paddy Landau
December 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the idea.

I've tried this, making it big enough to easily fit all the graphics, but it doesn't help.
Hang on, I'll try some more changes.

Paddy Landau
December 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Have a look at your disc space usage...
According to System Monitor:
/ partiton 22% (4.3 out of 14.7Gib)
/home partition 13% (10.8 out of 71.9GiB)

So, thanks, I don't think that's the problem.

Paddy Landau
December 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I did this:
Total cache: 100Mb
Per object: 1.5Mb (the largest I have is 0.85Mb)
Remove after: 00:20
Number of objects: 60 (my document has 44 according to the Navigator)

I closed all other windows, loaded the document, added a single letter, and saved.

Same problem, sadly.

Spiritof76
December 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
You ,might try reducing the resolution of the images If you are printing on plain paper or viewing on a monitor, resolutions of more than 640 horiz is mostly a waste of bitage. You can use gimp to shrink the images

Paddy Landau
December 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You might try reducing the resolution of the images...
This is for a printed magazine, so unfortunately the quality needs to be higher. I already shrink large photos to the required size, retaining the needed quality.

Edit: I think I'll post this on the Open Office forum (http://user.services.openoffice.org/).

Paddy Landau
December 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've posted this on the Open Office forum.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25723