PDA

View Full Version : Live Ubuntu Toolkit

scottuss
December 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hello everyone!

As part of my job, I have to fix Windows PC's (usual stuff, malware, data recovery etc etc)

I'm building an Ubuntu live support cd to carry around for such tasks, and I've got loads of stuff on there, just wondering what recommendations the community have?

Any suggestions on tools / packages I should include in the respin?

Thanks in advance!

ajgreeny
December 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Whilst it is admirable that you want to use ubuntu as the base system for this CD, I wonder why you want to do it at all. There are several rescue CDs already available for download for this purpose, and it seems a bit like re-inventing the wheel. For example:-
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

scottuss
December 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I've already got loads of CD's like that but I'm thinking of putting as much of the various tools onto one CD rather than having to mess about with multiple toolkits

The Real Dave
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Testdisk
Gparted, with NTFS creation
Full NTFS Compatibility
Partimage
As many wireless drivers as you can fit
avast! for Linux Workstation
ClamAV

Thats all I can think of at the moment, consider ditching Gnome, and using Fluxbox, XFCE or Openbox instead

Gizenshya
December 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I would review the program lists for the sysrescueCD and BackTrack distros. Between the two I doubt you'll be able to add much. Just mix and match, and add some drivers that you may need.

It might be best to make a DVD, though.

scottuss
December 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to run through the toolkits, grab as much as I can and put it together. Edit: I'm actually going to stick all of this stuff on my Live Ubuntu USB stick install :)

Thanks again guys!