PDA

View Full Version : Accessing wireless-device as non-root

JayD239
December 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hello,

I am currently working on a project that will make use of some hardware. I have never programmed for specific hardware and i'm not sure how to do this. Could anyone give me some pointers?

My situation:
I'm developing an application (Java and C, this part will be C I think) that will make use of the wireless networks in the surrounding. I need to have information of the strength of the nearby networks (quality, bitrate, frequency).
Using iwlist wlan0 scan appears not be an option because it requires root privilege, and I rather not want to prompt the user for a password (and I'm can't have them start it as root).

dwhitney67
December 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Using iwlist wlan0 scan appears not be an option because it requires root privilege
No it doesn't. A regular user can run iwlist.

JayD239
December 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, but it will only give you the cached details of the network you are currently connected to.

Try running it twice as root and twice as normal user and see the differences.

dwhitney67
December 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
You're right; I stand corrected.

Zugzwang
December 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Isn't there the possibility to have your application "owned" by the root and use the sticky bit? This way the application will always have root rights, no matter which rights the user has.

Warning: In this case, you have to write your application very carefully as it might introduce security holes.