PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu one on floss weekly

LeifAndersen
December 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
If I remember correctly, a few months back, a large portion of these forums were complaining about cononical making ubuntu one, because you said it wasn't open source software.

However, after listening to this: http://twit.tv/floss99 It seams like ubuntu one uses open source software, so what is the issue?

Thank you.

NoaHall
December 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The CLIENT is open source, however, the SERVER SIDE technology is not. Hope that clears it up.

Gizenshya
December 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
What is the reasoning behind the server-side ot being open?

can someone post links to good info sources about what ubuntu one is?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Of course, you can always run your own server since it is based on open protocols ;)

earthpigg
December 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
What is the reasoning behind the server-side ot being open?

canonical will make money by letting folks pay for additional cloud space.

if the server where open source, competitors would legally be able to compete by letting folks change a single config file in the client (copy/paste a single simple command) and then being able to connect to their storage and maybe pay them for additional space.

dropbox and ubuntu one provide a very similar function.
netscape and internet explorer provide a very similar function.

dropbox is currently the market leader in this, but doesn't come preinstalled... ubuntu one is preinstalled.
netscape was once the current market leader in this, but never came preinstalled.... internet explorer is preinstalled.

see where i am going with that? :D

user starts using ubuntu one because.... well, its the same damn thing as dropbox and ubuntu one is already installed.

fast forward six months. user needs more cloud space. dropbox has about the same pricing model, and about the same quality/reliability... but he is already using ubuntu one. who do you think s/he purchases his additional cloud space from?

some of us would likely simply take advantage of the fact that there is basically unlimited free cloud storage, if you are willing to spread your data around and keep track of where you have it. store a bunch in ubuntu one, store other stuff in dropbox, etc etc. some won't want to deal with this hassle. ubuntu one will be the most hassle-free cloud storage provider, so thats what those folks will likely tend to go with.

there are, of course, some very vital differences between the Canonical/UbuntuOne bundle and the Microsoft/IE bundle that shoot my comparison down that we could easily fill 100 posts arguing about... note that i did not infer that Canonical was 'just as bad' as Microsoft or anything like that. i pointed out a few similarities in implementation, and no similarities in ethics or morality.