PDA

View Full Version : Printer recommendations

johneboy
February 24th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I am thinking of getting a new printer and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for printers that are Linux friendly.

What I want basically is:

Reasonable quality print, it's not for anything fancy
Colour and black & white
Possibly a scanner built in but this is not strictly necessary

Ideally I'd not like to spend more than about GBP100 (approx USD160) and being Linux friendly is important as I would like to support a manufacturer that supports Linux.

Many thanks

John

Master Shake
February 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
IMHO, Almost ANY HP printer... I was shocked when Breezy Badger had the driver for my HP 1401, and even more shocked when it also detected the scanner on it.

dosed150
February 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM
epson printers usually work with ubuntu my cx3200 works well with ubuntu and has a scanner but its probably been replaced by now

paul cooke
February 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
HP PSC 1350... works fine for me... had to install HP's own drivers from source though to get the scanner working (but my machine had been upgraded from warty to breezy and might have missed something vital as the printer wasn't on while the upgrade was done).

The machine works standalone to print photos off any datacard that will fit in the card reader slots, also works standalone as a colour or black & white copier...

The on-printer card reader also works fine with Ubuntu when I stick an SD card into it to transfer photos off my camera or transfer music files to and from my Rio Cali player (got that one cos it plays ogg and has SD memory slot), plus it allowed me to standardise on SD for all my devices.

the printer itself is running an embedded Linux on board.

emperor
February 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Epson is is more than friendly, they support their products with drivers and applications for linux.

http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html

So, I recommend Epson and only buy Epson!

Bandit
February 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have a HP Deskjet 5850 and it works great.
-Prints photo qaulity images under Linux.
-USB Connection.
-Wifi and Wired networkable, I have mine wired networked.
-Can purchase a duplex attachment to print on front and back of paper.
*All of these options work perfectly under breezy, except the wired networkable which does not work under Ubuntu print manager, but works great under Kubuntu printer manager.(Dont ask me why, I only wished I knew.) USB works perfectly on every distro I have tried it on so far.
All around inexpensive printer that is pretty fast, nice looking and the ink last a long time.

http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&hpvc=contextual&la=en&qp=web_section_id%3Ar295&qs=&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&nh=10&st=1&hps=Small+%26+Medium+Business+site&hpn=Return+to+Small+%26+Medium+Business+site&hpr=http%3A//www.hp.com/sbso/&hpa=http%3A//www.hp.com/sbso/assist/index.html&hph=&hpl=1&hpo=hphqglobal%2Chphqna%2Chphqsmbmktg&h_audience=smb&h_audiencerestrict=&qt=HP+Deskjet+5850+Color+Inkjet+Printer&ocoldqt=deskjet+5850&oc=305981

Cheers,
Joey

hesee
February 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
As said, HP is good. I've got HP PSC 2355, scanning and printing works great.

simon_is_learning
February 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Is there a list of supported hardware in Ubuntu? Or is it wich kernel you use that makes the difference?

And if so, is there any "hardware supported"-list on the various kernels?

mstlyevil
February 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
HP and Epson both have pledged to support linux natively so either brand will probally work without much trouble. Ubuntu has included HP drivers so almost any HP printer should connect and work right out of the box.

johneboy
March 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info folks.

bender888
March 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I use a Epson CX-3100, both printing and scanning work great.

Master Shake
March 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I still like the idea I had a long time ago, about creating stickers that read "Works With Linux" and slapping them on linux / ubuntu compatible peripherials.