PDA

View Full Version : First there was Ubuntu then Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu

jhellen
February 24th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu. Why not keep it simple so it would be easier to remember the names all over the world. Ubuntu (Ubuntu Gnome), Ubuntu K (KDE), Ubuntu X (XFCE), Ubuntu Emb (Embedded).

I have alreay noticed that it's difficult for people to remeber and even hear the difference in Ubuntu and Kubuntu and maybe Xubuntu also. Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.

I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam. This is not the only "problem". All the appnames starting with K and Gnome are confusing also when trying to read them in alphabetically sorted lists. Everything just begins with K and G and it's much more difficult to focus on the second character.

I won't give any examples here but try to install the 100 most popular Linux-apps and you will have a nice list of applications starting with K, Gnome, GTK, Qt and Py. Why do we have to mention these all the time. And if we have to mention it, why not make it like this: Parted-Qt instead of Qtparted and Parted-G instead of Gparted. Then those two parted apps would also be easier to find in the menus. :confused:

Any word from this list (http://www.uoregon.edu/~osmirnov/gre/list.html) would be better ;)

bjweeks
February 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Embeddedubuntu = Embedded ubuntu. Easy

fuscia
February 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
embuntu

Brunellus
February 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu. Why not keep it simple so it would be easier to remember the names all over the world. Ubuntu (Ubuntu Gnome), Ubuntu K (KDE), Ubuntu X (XFCE), Ubuntu Emb (Embedded).

I have alreay noticed that it's difficult for people to remeber and even hear the difference in Ubuntu and Kubuntu and maybe Xubuntu also. Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.

I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam. This is not the only "problem". All the appnames starting with K and Gnome are confusing also when trying to read them in alphabetically sorted lists. Everything just begins with K and G and it's much more difficult to focus on the second character.

I won't give any examples here but try to install the 100 most popular Linux-apps and you will have a nice list of applications starting with K, Gnome, GTK, Qt and Py. Why do we have to mention these all the time. And if we have to mention it, why not make it like this: Parted-Qt instead of Qtparted and Parted-G instead of Gparted. Then those two parted apps would also be easier to find in the menus. :confused:

Any word from this list (http://www.uoregon.edu/~osmirnov/gre/list.html) would be better ;)
the *buntu convention really got started after Kubuntu. real KDE Kadres Konstantly Konspire to make Kreative and Konstructive use of the letter K in all projects Kommenced by them. So Kubuntu was the obvious choice. Since Ubuntu begins with a vowel (and not a consonant), it is trivial to make easily-pronounced *buntu variants by adding consonants.

Or would you rather use Mandriva? :-p

zachtib
February 24th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu.

unibuntu - linux for college students! http://www.louisville.edu/~zrtibb01/

Sheinar
February 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I think I'll use the name Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu for my new Ubuntu based distro. :)

Master Shake
February 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Kinda like the Dilbert comic... First there was Dilbert, then Dogbert, then Catbert, and Ratbert and...

Personally, while I love Ubuntu, and its various "mutations", I do feel the *-buntu naming convention is getting a bit out of hand.

jhellen
February 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Like anyone would care what these things sound like. Seems like ..buntu will go on forever :???: Soon we will have a djungle of ..buntus just like KSmoothdock, Kplayer, Kooldock, KFireSaver3D, KXDocker, Knemo, Kmplayer

KThat's Kso Kinnovative \\:D/

It's almost like when someone tries to give constructive criticism and they get a reply like this: "don't like it, don't use it". It's sad but true.

We should open our eyes also and not only the sources!

eMuNiX
February 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
embuntuMy own personal edition eMuBuNtU

bored2k
February 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.
Your English skills have to be ridiculously low for someone to not differentiate Xubuntu with Kubuntu ;).

I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam. Why is that a problem? That's not anyone's problem at all. Humans get used and try to hear what they want to hear, so saying "digicam with a K" shouldn't be a hard feat at all if you try to listen to what people are trying to tell you. You want things your way? sure, we all do. But the developer Kdecided to Kname Keverything he Kmakes with a Kk, so will just have to Kdeal with it, Kok? :-).

By phone, try telling someone who doesn't know English about Windows, Longhorn, Mandrake and such. It's the same thing. We can't always have it our way.

Brunellus
February 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Like anyone would care what these things sound like. Seems like ..buntu will go on forever :???: Soon we will have a djungle of ..buntus just like KSmoothdock, Kplayer, Kooldock, KFireSaver3D, KXDocker, Knemo, Kmplayer

It's almost like when someone tries to give constructive criticism and they get a reply like this: "don't like it, don't use it". It's sad but true.

We should open our eyes also and not only the sources!
1) The community chat forum is not the right forum for constructive criticism--the appropriate forum is a bug report/feature request to the relevant developers. Anything else is not constructive.

2) There are now ubuntu-derived distributions which have *buntu nowhere in their name. Guadalinex is the first one that comes to mind. Gnoppix is the other.

3) The "nonsense" names are a result of the names being picked by developers, not marketing people and certainly not users. In most cases they are most like old development codenames that dev houses used in-house before public release. Microsoft, for instance, for a while had a "Cities" naming convention for their development versions of Windows: hence, Manhattan, Chicago, etc. Of course, you wouldn't have bought Windows Chicago or Longhorn--the marketing guys got to it first and changed itheir names to Windows 95 and Windows Vista.

bjweeks
February 24th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Its a name just use it.

Kvark
February 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I agree the *buntu naming is uneccessary and confusing. Specially since at least Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are all the same distro. Just with different install options.

It would have been much better to name them all Ubuntu and label the different disks with "Gnome/KDE/XFCE install/live disk". That would make Ubuntu a multi CD distro but it doesn't really matter since you only need one of the disks depending on which DE you want to install Ubuntu with.

briancurtin
February 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
unibuntu - linux for college students! http://www.louisville.edu/~zrtibb01/
college students dont need their own distro. little kids do, so edubuntu fits, but i dont see why there should be something dually targeted at people of our age and above.

Brunellus
February 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
college students dont need their own distro. little kids do, so edubuntu fits, but i dont see why there should be something dually targeted at people of our age and above.
doesn't have to be a *need*. One of the freedoms of free software is the freedom to be frivolous.

Bandit
February 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM
My own personal edition eMuBuNtU
Banubuntu?? Not sure if I should go there?? :rolleyes:
I think I will just stick to using Kubuntu with my Bandit 64.6 kernel.

briancurtin
February 25th, 2006, 12:11 AM
doesn't have to be a *need*. One of the freedoms of free software is the freedom to be frivolous.
well yeah i realize this, but honestly i dont see an advantage of it at all. of course nothing has to be made to gain an advantage, but i really dont see the need to make a distro for this. what really needs to be changed to make ubuntu ready for a college user? im in college and i just plopped the disc in and it worked, and i clicked on some **** and got programs to help me do my work. i dont know anyone in college that couldnt do such steps. im the only one that sees this though, so its ok.

GreyFox503
February 25th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Or would you rather use Mandriva? :-p

Blech. That name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Iandefor
February 25th, 2006, 12:28 AM

We should open our eyes also and not only the sources! I'm just a wee bit confused.
How is this an issue? I know you mentioned the difficulty of pronouncing certain products' names without confusion, ie, saying "digikam" leaves the impression on the listener that it is spelled "digicam", or a possible mix-up between the names Kubuntu and Xubuntu, but it strikes me that in an environment where the spelling of a project would be important, adding a short note about the spelling would be less difficult as going through the entire OSS community and forcing them to use less funky names ;).

Also, how are you pronouncing Xubuntu to make it sound like it starts with a K? I'm fascinated as to how such a result could occur!

mstlyevil
February 25th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Xubuntu is pronounced Zoobuntu. I just don't know how someone can mistake that for Kubuntu. Since Ubuntu is a free distro with great hardware support and usable for most people upon install I really think that catchy marketing names are not important. The content sells itself. (And who can beat the price of free!)

Mr Wrath
February 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I don't wanna make ya mad, but just to throw a twist into all of this...my experience with linux and similar distros Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora, Redhat, etc...there will always be people out there that will hear you say something (i.e. gnome) and if they are new to that particular OS they are going to think it's (Nome) or some other form of text along those lines. I like to think about those people that can be brilliant at a computer, but you through a kink into their life by unplugging the mouse or a USB and they start to think that a virus or a hardware malfunction is happening. Any case, the way they have done the names is perfectly fine...just take a step back and breath.

GreyFox503
February 25th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Imagine introducing the trio/quartet of Ubuntu versions verbally to someone who has never heard them. You have to admit that they could get confused very easily.

To make matters worse, they're not even entirely consistent. After all, Ubuntu isn't call Gubuntu because it comes with GNOME. Of course, that's not the Ubuntu dev's fault...

And Edubuntu... well it still uses GNOME, not Edu-something like a newbie might imagine.

Brunellus
February 25th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Imagine introducing the trio/quartet of Ubuntu versions verbally to someone who has never heard them. You have to admit that they could get confused very easily.

To make matters worse, they're not even entirely consistent. After all, Ubuntu isn't call Gubuntu because it comes with GNOME. Of course, that's not the Ubuntu dev's fault...

And Edubuntu... well it still uses GNOME, not Edu-something like a newbie might imagine.
In fairness, the *buntus are community projects; the "official" distro has always been Ubuntu.

newbie2
February 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7148992239.html
:cool:

Jucato
February 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken, only Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu are the "sanctioned" "officially" "acknowledge" derivatives of Ubuntu, narrowing it only to 4 *buntus. All the rest, even EmbeddedUbuntu, are just projects (so far, until they get "sanctioned" so to speak). I actually find it easier to say Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu rather than Ubuntu with KDE, Ubuntu with Xfce, or Ubuntu with Educational features. :D

Weirdest KDE app names for me: Kopete, Kooka, Krita (Krayon), and amaroK.
Best names: Kontact, Konversation, Konqueror (which was name to top off the Navigator and the Explorer :D ).
Kaffeine: I still can't understand what coffee and multimedia have to do w/ each other.
Naming systems are, especially in open-source projects, the devs prerogatives. They may or may not listen to suggestions, but the choice is theirs to make. Besides, the "K" is something they're proud of. It's their trademark, much like MS is someone else's (how come no one's complaining that there's always MS- or W- in some products?) But I must admit, some names are just plain... unconventional.