PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Karmic: Blank display after fiddling with GDM and login screens

tankishev
December 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi guys,
I gust installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a Lenovo x61 laptop this week and it is my first linux experience.
The installation went with no problem and everything including hot-keys and display were set-up correctly.

I.Messing around:
Last night I decided to do some customisation and downloaded a new login screen. Then the following occurred:

1) I followed these instructions to set up the login screen:

http://www.ubun2.com/question/293/how_ubuntu_change_login_screen_window_appearance_9 102) Decided not to change through the gnome-control-centre but rather followed these instructions to downgrade my GDM to 2.20

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=85066413) Installed the new login using System --> Administration --> Login Window

II. After reboot I have the the following symptoms:
1) after the splash-screen my display goes blank with only a cursor on top and it stays that way (connected external display is also blank)

2) next, should I press Enter I get a message for a split second saying that the Xserver is already running on DISPLAY:=0.

3.1 (If I have external monitor connected) next, should I press Enter once more I gent a message that display 0. is busy and Xserver is switching to display .1 (detects the external monitor) and I can see my new GDM login window on the external monitor. I log in and then I use Fn-F7 hotkey and get my laptop display working!

3.2 (If I don't have external monitor connected) next, I start typing my username and then my password as if I see the login although the screen is blank ..... press enter and I log in and everything is fine.

4. Once logged in should I log out I can see the log-in screen with no problems.

III. If I boot with the (recovery option):
I just type "gdm" on the console and everything loads as if normal (I get my new login screen and then proceed as normal)

IV. Screaming for Help!!!
Please help me fix that ;)

PS: I have tried removing gdm and installing it again but no change.
PS2: I also tried fixing it with this:

4. Now you have to fix the broken gdm.conf. Enter
cd /etc/gdm
sudo sed ’s|X11R6/||’ gdm.conf >/tmp/gdm.conf
sudo mv /tmp/gdm.conf .

tankishev
December 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
V. New developments
I discovered that if I boot in (recovery mode) and on the next menu select to resume normally my logon screen appears.

This leads to believe that something is messed up with the X server and it starts correctly only with the settings of the recovery mode.

Also my resolution in recovery mode is normal - 1024x768 .. (this is the maximum for the x61)

Any ideas????

tankishev
December 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
UP :confused: