PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install theme & Login screen

T_1000
December 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi. I've just installed ubuntu 9.10. and this time i have new monitor. dell sx2210. you will see some of my old posts regarding some monitor problems. just ignore them because i've got this new beauty dell sx 2210.

but with this new stuff, i couldn't install theme as well as login screen.

with themes- i downloaded some themes from gnome art and when i tries to install them, it say, "not a valid theme package"

with login screen- when I select system->administration-> login screen, it just shows "Login screen settings". I also followed this procedure.
CTR+ALT+f2 then
export DISPLAY=:0.0
sudo -u gdm gnome-control-center
using these commands i opened the gnome control panel
then when i select login screen, it shows same "login screen setting".

could anyone please help me out with theme and login screen? from where can i select login screen? and why it is saying that the theme package is not valid

T_1000
December 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
anyone??

nibirumarduk
December 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
T_1000 try gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties.

T_1000
December 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
T_1000 try gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties.
hi. It gives error after typing your given command

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties.
Couldn't exec gnome-appearance-properties.: No such file or directoryroot@deepak

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
sudo su

Then run the command:

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

T_1000
December 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
sudo su

Then run the command:

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

tried but not working. it gives some error in terminal

root@deepak-desktop:~# sudo su
root@deepak-desktop:~# gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

(gnome-appearance-properties:2064): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

and then opens the appearance panel. but when I try to select any theme, it gives same error that "*anyselectedtheme* does not appear to be valid theme"

T_1000
December 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
i have just come to know after reading several topics that Login Screen Preferences are not available in ubuntu 9.10. so sad!! so this has clear my one question but what about theme?
atleast I should be able change the theme. why it is keep saying that " ***** does not appear to be valid theme"
what should i do?

wojox
December 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Use these commands again:

CTR+ALT+F2 then
CTR+ALT+F7

but don't choose login screen, choose appearance. Then choose a theme and background. I see you were already root before. Try opening a normal terminal and sudo su

As far as themes I just open Appearance > Theme and drag and drop my theme in. There are some pretty nice themes here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nice-themes-for-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-users.html

T_1000
December 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Use these commands again:

CTR+ALT+F2 then
CTR+ALT+F7

It gives same error, that ***** not a valid theme package
@wojox,

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nice-themes-for-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-users.html

after running those command, it installed the given themes and are visible in myapearance->theme. Theme is applied but the login screen is unchanged. Its not showing new login screen. Its using old login screen.

hariks0
December 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4124 has the right answer for you.

T_1000
December 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4124 has the right answer for you.

Ohh,thanks you very very much. Its working. It has changed the login screen and I can choose any login screen from Login window.
thank you hariks0
btw, since I have change login screen, I couldn't see Switch User Option on my desktop. how to get it manually?

hariks0
December 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ohh,thanks you very very much. Its working. It has changed the login screen and I can choose any login screen from Login window.
thank you hariks0
btw, since I have change login screen, I couldn't see Switch User Option on my desktop. how to get it manually?

You are welcome. If you mean that the applet has disappeared from the panel, you can get it back by right clicking the panel and Selcting Add to panel. From the dialog box you can get the indicator applet session [Not indicator applet]

T_1000
December 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
You are welcome. If you mean that the applet has disappeared from the panel, you can get it back by right clicking the panel and Selcting Add to panel. From the dialog box you can get the indicator applet session [Not indicator applet]

thanks. I can see switch user now.
but , there is one more problem. Since I've installed new gdm , I get an error before login screen appears. error comes in blue background,saying " another x server is running or something", may be another gdm is running. i couldn't get screenshot as it appears befor login screen. what is solution for this?

hariks0
December 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
After further debugging I found out that it's KDE starting up first on display :0 and then GDM starts on display :1
So disable the /etc/init.d/kdm daemon file or Try going to synaptic and remove kdm if kde is installed

This is what I found in this regard. Please try and post back.:popcorn:

T_1000
December 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
This is what I found in this regard. Please try and post back.:popcorn:

how to disable it? what is the command?

hariks0
December 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
sudo gedit /etc/init.d/kdm

T_1000
December 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
sudo gedit /etc/init.d/kdm

it shows a blank file. nothing inside it, no text. also in synaptic manager KDM is not checked.

hariks0
December 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
So disable the /etc/init.d/kdm daemon file or Try going to synaptic and remove kdm if kde is installed

You obviously do not have kde [and hence kvm] installed. So it may be due to some other entry in the startup script. I will try to figure it out and revert if there is any result.:(

T_1000
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
You obviously do not have kde [and hence kvm] installed. So it may be due to some other entry in the startup script. I will try to figure it out and revert if there is any result.:(
ok. i will wait for your answer.

hariks0
December 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Found in another forum

sudo mv /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf-disable

Try this and post back.

hariks0
December 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
ok. i will wait for your answer.

Been wresteling with this problem on multiple PCs for a few days now and I finally figured it out!

Looked at /etc/init and noticed both kdm.conf and gdm.conf are checking if they are the default display manager in /etc/X11/default-display-manager expecting different file content
Then I noticed that I don't have that file.
So I reinstalled new gdm (apt-get install gdm) since that worked fine
Notice I do have the file
Reinstalled gdm-2.20 (apt-get install gdm-2.20) and created my own file

sudo echo "/usr/sbin/gdm" > /etc/X11/default-display-manager
Problem Solved!
Make sure your gdm is in /usr/bin with

which gdm

Side Notes:
Installing gdm while having gdm-2.20 will automatically remove gdm, no need to do it manually.
Same goes vice versus, installing gdm ontop of gdm-2.20 will remove older one 1st.

You can do all this from console with apt-get or from Gnome Synaptic application.

Enjoy!
:guitar::popcorn::):lolflag: Please mark as solved.

mechaxl
December 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info. This: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8546528&postcount=20 fixed my problem that I was having with this as well.

T_1000
December 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Found in another forum

sudo mv /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf-disable

Try this and post back.

ok, I will try tomorrow morning.. right now doing some imp work on windows..
There is one problem which I have not discussed yet. Since I have installed this latest version 9.10, Its running very slow. Its like its using the all the memory. very slow.I have installed earlier versions of linux but they were really fast. Is it happening due to same x server problem?

T_1000
December 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think problem is sorted out now. Thanks.

still some issues are there. linux is running slow and also after updating linux from Update Manager, it is showing 2 entries for linux in bootloader.

arjunkn
January 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM
it doesn't work showing an error while entering this command,"unable to connect to the running instances" this is the error... i cann't open gnome-control-center

eval-
January 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I had to not just edit out the X11R6, and create /etc/X11/default-display-manager, but it was critical that I go into /etc/init/gdm.conf and change the last line from 'gdm-binary' to /usr/sbin/gdm

Otherwise I'd end up in the failsafe which would load a vesa driver that blanks all my consoles, joy. What a waste of a day.

growlf
January 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
For those not able or willing to switch the GDM back to the older version, there is now another answer. Check this topic out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8707543&postcount=55 The tool adds in much of the old functionality and we will be adding more as quickly as we are able.

freddyflo
January 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
to install the login screen
go to system > administration > login window then click on the local tab on the dialogue box
then click the add button to add your new login screen themes.

growlf
January 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
to install the login screen
go to system > administration > login window then click on the local tab on the dialogue box
then click the add button to add your new login screen themes.

@freddyflo - The problem is that in Karmic (the current release version of Ubuntu) that option is no longer there.