PDA

View Full Version : Linux community giving input on Newegg.com products

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Saw this today. was impressed that someone actually put a Linux oriented review on a product they got from newegg.com. It would be nice to see more people adding Linux oriented buyer reviews for the products they buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16834114719

Pros: All key features work with Linux, tested with Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit. WiFi Driver available on Ubuntu forums. Very fast and robust laptop. nVidia graphics work great with Compiz Fusion with full eye candy. Decent battery life for a laptop of this screen size (about 3h in Linux & about 2h45m in windows). Screen is vibrant and has good contrast ratio for a laptop, no dead pixels, Chassis is a very sturdy and durable, however the glossy finish may be prone to scratching, recommend a neoprene sleeve for scratch protection. does blow somewhat hot air, but it does a good job of keeping important parts cool even under full load, Idles at 25C, full load temp between 29C~32C.

Cons: Touch Pad works in Linux but will occasionally jump across the screen and touch pad area being larger than average can cause inadvertent movement when typing. 5400 RPM HDD a bit slow but to be expected and is bearable. No Bluetooth. Loaded with bloat-warez in Windows, easily fixed by formatting and installing Linux. Ecodrive feature not available in Linux, but power settings can be configured to achieve the same result. Can not remove Windows 7 badge sticker easily, I Recommend making a nice Linux badge and placing it over the Windows badge. Windows 7 leaves a lot to be desired, but I suppose it "could" [no guarantees] get the job done. Wrist rest area prone to collecting oils and finger prints from your hands and fingers, but cleans up easily with a good glass cleaner.

Other Thoughts: All in all a great laptop for enthusiasts and windows users alike. I would recommend to anyone.

mivo
December 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Once Linux fans grow up and learn to stop bashing Windows every chance they get ("bloat-warzes", several lines about a silly sticker, etc.), reviews could help to increase the awareness and acceptance.

If I had read this review as a non-Linux user, I'd think "immature child expressing their teenage drive to rebel". It would certainly not make me want to be part of this community or to try out Linux. The whole second paragraph hurts Linux more (in terms of reputation of the community) than it helps. You don't "convert" people by triggering resentment in them.

It is unfortunate that such people are the most visible (to users of other systems).

RandomJoe
December 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have run across quite a number of Linux reviews for various products on Newegg. By the time I'm looking at specific items there I have already done research elsewhere, but it is nice to get affirmation that the item will work - or perhaps more useful, that there is some quirk that *won't* work - from the comments.

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I thought the review gave a good synopsis of key features while adding a bit of sarcasm for a chuckle. A reader of this review could walk away confident that they could buy this laptop and effectively install and use Linux on it. I honestly don't thing a Windows user gives 2 sh!ts about what Linux users think and are not going to turn to Newegg.com product reviews as a basis for converting to Linux anyway.

Yes
December 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Once Linux fans grow up and learn to stop bashing Windows every chance they get ("bloat-warzes", several lines about a silly sticker, etc.), reviews could help to increase the awareness and acceptance.

If I had read this review as a non-Linux user, I'd think "immature child expressing their teenage drive to rebel". It would certainly not make me want to be part of this community or to try out Linux. The whole second paragraph hurts Linux more (in terms of reputation of the community) than it helps. You don't "convert" people by triggering resentment in them.

It is unfortunate that such people are the most visible (to users of other systems).

Chill out. He was making a joke about the sticker, and a lot of pre-built computers do come with a ton of bloat and junk on it.

mivo
December 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Chill out. He was making a joke about the sticker, and a lot of pre-built computers do come with a ton of bloat and junk on it.

It didn't look like a joke, but like the usual, zealotry anti-Windows blathering that plagues the Linux community. I feel that the first paragraph's informative value was unnecessarily spoiled by the second paragraph.

I guess I find the religious zeal and desire to do missionary work counter-productive. It just annoys. Probably one of the reasons why the Linux desktop market share seems to be stagnating.

Bölvağur
December 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Some people might see this as a recruiting machine for linux.
Others may feel this is like a radioactive waste in linux's backyard and will make people stay away.
But people like me that is just looking for a laptop that actually works getting reviews from the same stand as I have, then it is a great thing. I will know if there are drivers for everything and most importantly, I will trust the review, Linux people are more likely in my mind to just know what they are talking about when it comes to this type of stuff.

doas777
December 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I wrote a newegg review for an nvidia card a few weeks ago, focusing on linux operations (never tried it in win, tbh). the TV outs have horrible overscan, and the nvidia-settings contains no overscan controls for 8200-8500 series cards.

MasterNetra
December 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Saw this today. was impressed that someone actually put a Linux oriented review on a product they got from newegg.com. It would be nice to see more people adding Linux oriented buyer reviews for the products they buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16834114719

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180017&cm_re=wireless_usb-_-33-180-017-_-Product

Third one down. It is amusing how it works better in Ubuntu then windows xp in which it was designed for. I own this myself as well. Ubuntu starts using it automatically and it stays connected and behaves well. While under Windows XP it is the opposite.

Sporkman
December 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I've seen plenty of linux-oriented reviews on NewEgg (like "works fine on ubuntu 8.04", etc). I've also seen BSD-related reviews.

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I saw only one sentence devoted to the windows 7 badge sticker, and This was obviously a joke. Also, There are some people who don't like silly brand stickers on their machine. For most it's not important that they are there, someone may find it interesting to know before they attempt to remove one that it's been glued on with a Billy Mays quality endorsed super glue.

Since this review was obviously directed at Linux users the writer was simply pointing out that while it's just like every PC with windows preinstalled bloatz, it isn't an issue for Linux users as it will be removed by reformatting and installing Linux in all likely hood.

Nerd King
December 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The Windows-bashing is unnecessary. I prefer Linux, but there's no point flinging poo at Windows. It tends to fly right back.

Gizenshya
December 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I agree 100%. Excellent post.

And regarding the 'joke' comments... maybe many *nix users get that joke, but all non-*nix users see is exactly what mivo described. Despite the fact that they shouldn't think that, and I don't want them to think that... they will.

aysiu
December 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I agree with mivo. Keep it technical. Avoid the Windows bashing.

To really raise awareness, though, I would leave reviews on Amazon.com instead.

NewEgg tends to be disproportionately frequented by more tech-savvy customers.

VastOne
December 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I wrote a newegg review for an nvidia card a few weeks ago, focusing on linux operations (never tried it in win, tbh). the TV outs have horrible overscan, and the nvidia-settings contains no overscan controls for 8200-8500 series cards.

Every time I buy from Newegg I look for the Ubuntu *nix customer review and once I am assured of the successful installations I purchase...

I think this should be the focus of the OP's attempt at bringing more positive news about the success of Ubuntu and *nix adapting and succeeding IMHO

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I think this should be the focus of the OP's attempt at bringing more positive news about the success of Ubuntu and *nix adapting and succeeding IMHO

thank you, I always knew the voice of reason would have an avatar with an uncanny likeness to Dr. House. :)

VastOne
December 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
thank you, I always knew the voice of reason would have an avatar with an uncanny likeness to Dr. House. :)

Your welcome and of course you know, Dr House is the rebirth of a certain pointy eared green blooded hobgoblin from Vulcan