PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu For Programmers?? (or students??)

king_009
December 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hii there....i have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 and found C/C++ compilers in build-essentials... moreover in some other thread, one forum staff memeber said that ubuntu is for the developers...

So guys please tell me... s it good to use ubuntu for programming??
I tried a normal C++ program of "Hello World". n actually found many mistakes in me.. n liked that ubuntu uses totally focussed approach in compiling..
i never cared for writing "using namespace std;" in turbo C++ which i used on windows platform (Which was a bad habit though..)

anyways.. i found C, C++ in ubuntu...
can u please tell me which other programming languages come powerpacked in ubuntu?
1 more doubt..
should i use ubuntu for programming my college projects?

ok this is last qstn most important..
can i install Microsoft's Visual Studio in ubuntu? if yes.. please provide me the link from where i can get VS for ubuntu. i have VS2005 and VS2008 setups but i dont think it would support ubuntu..

theozzlives
December 16th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Ubuntu does have several languages. One that sparked my interest is Lazarus, it uses Pascal, although I haven't messed with it much. No time.

Visual Studio is a Microsoft product, and they aren't gonna make anything for Linux.

sisco311
December 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The stickies in the Programming Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=39) forum should answer your questions.

plusnplus
December 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hi king_009,

it is better learn opensource programming language in opensourse os/ platform.
example: perl and php

rob-ward
December 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
yes Ubuntu is very suitable for programming, I use it and nothing else for all of my university work(MEng Software Engineering). Ubuntu supports dozens if not hundreds of languages. As you seem to be leaning towards C++ what you probably want is an IDE to do your programming in. There are a large amount out there, I would probably recommend Codeblocks as this is cross platform so you could use it on windows if you needed, however others include Geany, Anjuta, kdevelop, Eclipse an many more.

All of the ones I have mentioned are available in the Ubuntu repositories so are easy enough to install.

Note that for eclipse(which is also cross platform) you need a plugin called Eclipse CDT in order to program C++ if you google it there are lots of instructions.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Dan48p
December 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I am at the end of my C programming class in school and all of the computers in the lab are running Ubuntu. In fact it is required that our programs compile and run properly in linux.

I use the "Kate" text editor (which also requires the installation of "Konsole" to use the built in terminal) to do all of my programming. I haven't had any problems with anything working correctly though the only other programming I have done is VBasic in Visual Studio. The stuff I have been doing recently is primarily numerical analysis, prove the calculus type of stuff, so I have no experience with making graphics type things in linux.

I use ubuntu 9.10 on both of the computers I use on a regular basis and have only had a few problems using these 'puters for school. Even though these problems may be something that can be fixed, as a full time engineering student/full time diesel mechanic, I really haven't had time to figure out how to make everything work correctly (hence the switch to linux in the first place).

I haven't yet gotten a program that opens .docx files properly formatted, I tend to lose some images and superscripts/subscripts. Though I have both MSWord 2007 and the recent version of open office installed. I'm farily certain that there are fixes for this out there and I will look into it on semester break.

The other problem I had was with running a Java Runtime thing called "Molecular Workbench" that I had to use for chemistry classes. I had a problem getting the text fonts to work correctly making it unable to read the questions I was asked. My teacher told me that she has the same problem with her Mac so I believe the problem may be related to that particular software.

While I use Ubuntu on a daily basis and rarely boot into windows (except to play some games) I'm not quite ready to delete my Windows partition from my desktop.

I'm not really sure what all you wanted in response to your question, but I figured I would share my experiences.

king_009
December 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Okk guys... please tell me does ubuntu supports java???
how to do java programming in ubuntu

Redache
December 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Ubuntu supports nearly every programming language in existence. The ones it doesn't are typically proprietary languages(like Visual Basic).

Java can be installed by getting the jdk, I think it's in the repos.

I'd also recommend installing either Eclipse or Netbeans as they are both decent Java IDE's, and I think they will grab the jdk for you.

I'd also recommend looking into Python if you're trying to learn languages as Python is a good language for prototyping or writing applications in general. It's also useful as a scripting language.

If you want to Learn Java on the other hand, I'd recommend reading the Sun Java tutorials to get you started.

nishant.singh28
December 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
As far as Java programming is concerned, you can simply install jdk, write a program in any text editor you like (vim, kwrite, gedit) and compile it in terminal by typing

$ javac <path of program code>

and run it by typing

$ java <name of main class>

KeLa
December 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Try NetBeans it's crossplatform including c/c++, java, perl, php etc...
I have used it in *******, Mac and Linux and it's in Ubuntu repos.
After install you can easily add more modules (language supports etc) in to it.

jespdj
December 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ubuntu is great for programmers, because the source code of the whole operating system and almost all programs is freely available and there are lots of tools for developers available for free.

Ofcourse Ubuntu supports Java. Install the package sun-java6-jdk:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
Have a look at Sun's Java tutorials (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/) for a good start with Java.

If you want a good IDE for Java and other programming languages, I'd recommend NetBeans (http://netbeans.org/). Installing it is easy: download it from the website and run the installer.

king_009
December 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ubuntu is great for programmers, because the source code of the whole operating system and almost all programs is freely available and there are lots of tools for developers available for free.

hmmm thanks for the info guys..
so i think if i wanna excel in programming.. i must use ubuntu EXCEPT while using .NET languages...

mm many of friends here also advised me to learn python, php, perl...
so, i'll download the tutorials soon from net... thank you friends.... you all rock :guitar:

so guys please tell me in the commercial side of software development, which languages are necessary...

i had done C, C++, Java, C# and ADO.NET also... n soon gonna do ASP.Net....

n many posts i found in this forum about python.. so i m getting intrest in learning python....

Which languages are must today for becoming a good programmer???:confused:

i m just a student right now n soon gonna enter this field within 6 months...

CptPicard
December 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
i had done C, C++, Java, C#

These languages all come from the same family more or less, so they share similar ideas in their construction and way of doing things.

n many posts i found in this forum about python.. so i m getting intrest in learning python....

... so, perhaps Python would be an interesting addition to your toolkit. It's very convenient and "fast to use", plus exposes you to concepts you would be hard-pressed to find in the aforementioned group of languages. Besides, having a flexible scripting language at your disposal is always a good thing.

Which languages are must today for becoming a good programmer???

IMO one is a "good programmer" once one has had enough experience in different kinds of programming languages that learning yet another new programming language is no longer a problem. Then there is also the algorithmic/design aspect of programming that transcends language completely... but different languages can take different "views" of things even in this regard when you start implementing things idiomatically in them.

In a lot of ways, you can't go badly wrong with a combination of C, Python, and either Java or C# to begin with. Add C++ if you feel like it or need it.

king_009
December 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
thank u for the info.....

loved ubuntu...

are there any certification courses of ubuntu???
havent heard of any in india....
do we have certification centres in india??
if so... please let me know the details....
thanks in advance....

Redache
December 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'd recommend learning Haskell or O'Caml if you really want to become a "Good" programmer as functional Programming Languages have a different programing paradigm.

nvteighen
December 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Ubuntu ships even esoteric stuff like Forth, so expect all major programming languages to be supported :p

I suggest you to look at Python. Look at the infernal amount of threads we've got on the topic...