PDA

View Full Version : So do you use P2P?

handy
December 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
What are your thoughts on the legality of the P2P file transfer method?

Knowing the variety of uses that it IS used for, being both legal & otherwise it certainly is a difficult subject to pigeon hole.

The legality of P2P is under stress in many parts of the world due to the pressure of companies that exist due to copyright & their ability to distribute material that THEY own for profit & nought else but their profit, & they will distribute it wherever they can. As that is the business model that they operate under, & their shareholders expect their directors to make the shareholders as large a profit as they possibly can, at any cost.

Though the majority of the worlds population see these copyright companies as being nothing but organisations that steal from the people.

I could say a great deal more, but I won't, in an effort to try to allow THIS particular thread a life of its own.

[Edit:] There is also this related thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8507366#post8507366

Psumi
December 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
My grandma uses Point To Point, yes.

Marvin666
December 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, it's the only way I get my music.

earthpigg
December 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
What are your thoughts on the legality of the P2P file transfer method?

i think it is no one's business but my own what method i used to transfer data.

the specific data itself, however, is a different story.

i think predatory civil law suits are crap, i can tell you that.

example: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/MS-fined-for-using-money-power/articleshow/5336125.cms

in that specific case, it was microsoft... but with this type of stuff, microsoft is generally not the preadtor... the RIAA and their puppet organizations are the predators.

the poor and undecuated single mother with unsecured wifi is, of course, the good guy: the dude at the store told her to buy this router, so she did.

when she got home and plugged it in, it worked. why would she configure or change it? its working perfectly! (to her, at least, based on what the salesman told her...)

then she gets a letter in the mail telling her to pay $5,000 or hire a $10,000 lawyer and go to court 2 counties away.... yeah.

anger. rising.

here's the deal:

if any corporation wants to file a suit against any private individual, they should be forced to pay a security deposit to the court.

avg cost of living per year in jurisdiction * 2 * number-of-months-the-trial-lasts = security deposit.

where i live, that would be about $100,000 per month a private citizen is forced to stand civil trial. chump change to the RIAA, and fair compensation for the single mother who can no longer make time to help her 12 year old son with his homework.

if the corporation loses, all of that money goes to the innocent victim of corporate bullying.

if they win, then the judge awards whatever he will.

if a corporation has evidence that would warrant a criminal trial, none of this applies. ie: all of it obtained after getting a search warrant, all private investigators are licensed, the corporation needs to convince the district attorney that it is valid, and the accused is assumed to be innocent until proven beyond any reasonable doubt that s/he is guilty.

the differences between a civil case and criminal one are huge -- and corporations have every single possible advantage anyone here could think of in a civil case.

sounds fair to me. what do you think?

kostkon
December 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, of course I use P2P, that is everytime I run Skype and Spotify.

Psumi
December 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I guess no one got my joke. :(