PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming: What can Linux offer to your home, home automation, & saving time?

frenchn00b
December 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Linux and home automation can be used to make your daily life easier, to program things such as stoves, refrigerators, coffee machines, and other electrical appliances, ... or even the lights and heating system.

Whoever dreamt about seeing his house, talking to his computer by headset phone, and asking it (him) to prepare the house: temperature of the house of 20 degres, ... to even prepare a bath with an indicated temperature. Additionally Linux can be plugged with your gps in your car, equipped with voice recognition such as marievox (cant find back the youtube).

Those things arent impossible or a only a dream. Home Automation for Linux works hard to make things one day possible. ha (http://www.linuxha.com/)

Ok, this said, what would be your dream about Linux for such dedication: Home automation and making your life easier.

Brainstorming is open, all positive ideas welcome !!

:popcorn:

Psumi
December 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
No. I live in an apartment.

handy
December 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Learn about X10 it is a great initiation to your topic, simple to implement as well.

There is far more complex (expensive) stuff available, & boy, just watch what the next few years bring, let alone the decade.

I think it may even turn into home control that actually saves energy for the benefit of all. Holly Dooly, technology that actually helps an unknown person/peoples, without profit for me? I must be going mad.

Bound to happen in the U.S. first, as they are so technologically & environmentally thoughtful/friendly people. ;)

GreyWolf903
December 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
With X10 and Insteon Devices being readily available there is an incredible amount of potential for Home Automation in Linux. The Key Features I'd like to see in Home Automation are:

The Basics:
- Lighting COntrols
- Appliance Controls
- IR Controls for Infrared control of media devices)
- Thermostat/Climate Control
- Home Security

In addition the "ideal package" would include:
- Voice OGNITION
- Whole House Audio (switchable to rooms)
- Presence Detection probably through RFID readers.
- House Modes (ie, at work, home, asleep etc.)
- Telephone messages, Caller ID etc.

For some other ideas you may want to check out HAL 2000 at http://www.automatedliving.com

markp1989
December 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
i would llove my computer to turn of the lights, and draw the blinds when playing a dvd, (could be used for security, make it look llike some on is in when there isnt any one)

voice recnition woulld be awsome aswell :D

would be good for alarm clock . open blinds, turn on lllight, make me cofffee and toast,

and i could cook dinner from the laptop lol :d

handy
December 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Over 10 years ago, a mate of mine was turning on his microwave via his mobile radio/phone when he was on his way home from work, he was using X10.

frenchn00b
January 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Over 10 years ago, a mate of mine was turning on his microwave via his mobile radio/phone when he was on his way home from work, he was using X10.

wow thats cool

Would you think that it would be possible with sending an SMS with one's regular gsm mobile to linux box X10?