PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compaq Presario Installation Help

old fert
December 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
My daughter inherited an old compaq presario model 5108us, 1.2 GHZ amd processor, 40 GB HD. It only had 128 MB ram, so I bought a couple of 256 MB chips and upgraded to 512 MB.

It had WindowsME on it. I wiped the drive and have been trying to install ubuntu 9.10 for the last week. It will show the startup screen (boot choices, etc). I have been able to check the memory (OK) and the disk (OK). But installation will not go any further. I haven't been able to either install to the hard drive or run off the CD.

Sorry, no info on the graphics.

My Grandson wants his own computer. Any way to get this thing working?

addl info: Out of desperation, I installed an old copy of win98se to see if it would be easier to install as a duel boot. No luck. Same problem.

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this has been solved somewhere else.

nmaster
December 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
perhaps its a problem with the cd drive. do you have access to another computer? you could try burning the iso to a usb stick. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

thats just a stab in the dark. im not really sure what to do, but this couldn't hurt.

old fert
December 16th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. Burned 3 iso disks. The old computer has 2 disk drives, same problem on both.