PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My baby deleted Gnome Panel

n4pgw
December 16th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I walked in the room and my 22 month old baby girl had Gnome panel up. I took the mouse away and she grabbed another and somehow deleted the gnome panel.

Ironically, I just created a shortcut to the terminal so it is the only thing I have access to.

Please help

Thank you
Buck

pixel :-)
December 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM
(i'm in KDE!!!!)

I think, if you simply restart your session, it will come back. No?

other wise try in a terminal the command.

gnome-panel

normally, if you kill the terminal session, the panel will go away too, i don't remember well, but i think the command

gnome-panel &

permits to kill the terminal without killing the panel.

n4pgw
December 16th, 2009, 03:31 AM
(i'm in KDE!!!!)

I think, if you simply restart your session, it will come back. No?

other wise try in a terminal the command.

gnome-panel

normally, if you kill the terminal session, the panel will go away too, i don't remember well, but i think the command

gnome-panel &

permits to kill the terminal without killing the panel.

I restarted the computer and logged back in. It is gone.
I tried running "gnome-panel" in the terminal and it just says "Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running."

I tried uninstalling it with apt-get and reinstalling, but the same thing.

I'll reboot.

Someone suggested I delete gconf in home directory. I don't know how to get there in terminal.

Thanks
Buck

aveightor
December 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Are both panels gone? Do you have a panel at the bottom of the screen? If you do right click on it and click on New Panel. Then right click on the new one and add everything back.

coskierken
December 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
ok, here you go: in a terminal "gconf-editor". Once it is active you go to "desktop/gnome/session/required components" In the section called "panel" look to the right and it might be empty. If so, just type in "gnome-panel" and hit ok. If you double click "panel" it will bring up a second window to enter the same info. Then just reboot and it will show up.

n4pgw
December 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Now you tell me!!!

lol did not think of it as part of the panel.

I recovered it by following an instruction on the net...

$ rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd

It wiped out all my settings, but that is better than completely reinstalling Ubuntu :D

Sorry your advice was 2 minutes late, but thanks for the help.

Buck

doas777
December 16th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Now you tell me!!!

lol did not think of it as part of the panel.

I recovered it by following an instruction on the net...

$ rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfdIt wiped out all my settings, but that is better than completely reinstalling Ubuntu :D

Sorry your advice was 2 minutes late, but thanks for the help.

Buck

those are some questionable instructions, unless taking extreme action. where did you findd them?

n4pgw
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I did a google search and found it, but do not remember where, I think it was on a red hat forum.

It may have been extreme, but it worked. The only thing I seemed to lose was the bar at the top right which shows the name of the one logged in that when clicked gives logout and shutdown options. I also lost the background image setting. I just had to choose the background picture again.

That was a pretty minor loss, in my opinion.