PDA

View Full Version : Possible to remove background sound from movies?

froggyswamp
December 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Folks is it possible to remove the background music that pops up in almost every movie at every action?
Am I the only one who thinks it's old-fashioned and annoying? e.g. in horror movies it's often the background music (symphony stuff) more scary than the movie itself. I'd like there to be a label on every movie DVD "warning: background orchestra used a lot to challenge you psychologically", or shorter "warning: sound brainwashing", you know..

handy
December 16th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I don't know if there exists an easier way, but you could rip the movie then edit out the music that you don't like with a software like Kdenlive or one of the others.

It would take a long time to do it this way. You would really have to be motivated by a gross dislike...

Shibblet
December 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
If this is a movie that is done in 5.1 Dolby Digital, you would need to find an audio editor that can strip out the center channel track independently.

Either that or reduce the volume of the Front Left/Right, Rear Left/Right channels, and increase the volume on the Center.

phrostbyte
December 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM
The ability to remove individual sounds (or even people) from a single audio channel is an area of active research.

froggyswamp
December 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks!

bobbob1016
December 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I *guess* you'd be able to if you took the soundtrack, ripped as FLAC (or something else lossless), and get an editing program that you can say "when you find something matching this, cancel it out" as in whistle to a TV show intro with whistling and you won't hear the whistling from the TV.

What bothers me 10000 times more though is when they show something that is undoubtedly the ending, as in the Fantastic Four Silver Surfer trailer where they showed the ending (I won't spoil it here), same with the Mummy Dragon King trailer where they do the same thing, there are others that I can't think of at the moment.