PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite classic composer?

yester64
December 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Not sure if someone even listens to classic, but i assume there must be some people here who like to listen to classic. Out of passion or just curiosity. Or because you were in the mood.

I personally have some favorite one which i like to name.
First some of the traditional composers i hear a lot.
Johann Strauss, Bach, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Liszt.
But also, and i have to admit, i have found a really good contemporary composer i quite like. That is Philip Glass.

Well, that is what i like. There are some others but these are the one i listen the most.

ratcheer
December 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
My favorites are Mozart and Rossini.

Tim

ticopelp
December 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Beethoven's 9th is my favorite piece of classical music.

I'm also fond of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and Gustav Holst.

lisati
December 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
When Mrs Lisati lets me, the occasional Beethoven piano concerto or Rossini overture. Too many good pieces of music are out there to name!

As much as I like the music, opera is too often spoiled for me by the singers' "screeching" and "warbling" in a way that suggests that they can't carry a tune.

Keyper7
December 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
As much as I like the music, opera is too often spoiled for me by the singers' "screeching" and "warbling" in a way that suggests that they can't carry a tune.

Well, listen to decent singers, then. :)

Seriously, Pavarotti's rendition of Pagliacci never fails to send me chills.

yester64
December 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Johann Strauss, Bach, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Liszt.
But also, and i have to admit, i have found a really good contemporary composer i quite like. That is Philip Glass.

I quote myself, because i wanted to add the actual music to the composers.

Strauss ~ An der schönen blauen Donau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Danube) op. 314 On the Beautiful Blue Danube
Bach ~ Cello Suites, Johannes Passion
Stravinsky ~ The Firebird
Mussorgsky ~ Pictures from an Exhibition
Liszt ~ Orpheus
Glass ~ Passages (w.Ravi Shankar)

BaroqueBloke
December 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Being a Baroque Flutist I'd have to say my personal favorite is Bach. Fantastic sonatas.
Though he's technically not "classical" but you catch my drift.

lisati
December 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Well, listen to decent singers, then. :)
Good call! :)

yester64
December 16th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Being a Baroque Flutist I'd have to say my personal favorite is Bach. Fantastic sonatas.
Though he's technically not "classical" but you catch my drift.

I wished i could play an instrument like this. I just made it to a guitar. In my dream i would like to learn violin.

toupeiro
December 16th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Pepe Romero. Still Alive. Performed his first concert at the age of 7. World renowned classical spanish guitarist. Assuming you recognize classical music as more than purely opera, and I believe most of the world does, This is probably the the greatest classical guitarist who has ever lived, and that is not just my own opinion, but the opinions of many musical historians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliXdP1wODM

ajy0852
December 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I was a music major and I enjoy listening to contemporary music - Messiaen, John Adams, and Steve Reich are among my favorites. A composer that I don't feel gets enough credit is Ernest Bloch.

And, of course, Mahler.

red_Marvin
December 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I haven't listened to much classical music at all, certainly not enough to actually have a favourite composer, but Vivaldi's Summer part of the Four Seasons always lights a fire.

bikodog
December 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Classical - Rachmaninov ....damn pretty much 20th century too...1873-1943

sudo classical but 20th Century - George Gershwin

Gershwin bridged the gap between the classical composers and the american sounds of jazz and blues. True genius.

The piano masters.

Hwæt
December 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Classic composers? Well in that case, I'd have to say that it's a close tie between Brad Delp and Eric Bloom. :popcorn:

bluelamp999
December 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
For me, it has to be Ludwig Van. Especially the glorious 9th...

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures." - Alex, A Clockwork Orange

BaroqueBloke
December 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I wished i could play an instrument like this. I just made it to a guitar. In my dream i would like to learn violin.

Never too late to start. I couldn't play guitar to save my life though. Too man strings.

Mike'sHardLinux
December 16th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Classic composers? Well in that case, I'd have to say that it's a close tie between Brad Delp and Eric Bloom. :popcorn:

Nice. I was just listening to a CD I hadn't heard in ages....RTZ.....

Oh, but back on topic......Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata gives me chills.....sad and beautiful melody.

Hwæt
December 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Nice. I was just listening to a CD I hadn't heard in ages....RTZ.....

I was thinking more of Brad Delp when he was in Boston. Specifically, from the songs: More Than a Feelin', Peace of Mind, and Don't Look Back.

Is RTZ any good?

Exodist
December 16th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Pepe Romero. Still Alive. Performed his first concert at the age of 7. World renowned classical spanish guitarist. Assuming you recognize classical music as more than purely opera, and I believe most of the world does, This is probably the the greatest classical guitarist who has ever lived, and that is not just my own opinion, but the opinions of many musical historians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliXdP1wODM

Damn hes good.. really good.

Mike'sHardLinux
December 16th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I was thinking more of Brad Delp when he was in Boston. Specifically, from the songs: More Than a Feelin', Peace of Mind, and Don't Look Back.

Is RTZ any good?

Hehe. Not bad...some highlights, but overall, they're like a watered down Boston. The guitar is still pretty good, though, not as out front as with Boston.

marco123
December 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I quite like Philip Glass as well.:) I was never really into classical music until I got into HiFi and bought my first setup a few years ago. Now I pretty much listen to anything musical just for the experience. My favorites would be:

Gustav Holst.
Gustav Mahler.
Saint Saen.
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Sergei Rachmaninoff. (First "Full Works" box set I bought.)
Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Not exactly classical, but I really like Craig Armstrong's work.

Marco.

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Vivaldi

JDShu
December 16th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Chopin is a blast to play and nice to listen to. His waltzes are just so fun, though I know he hated them.

Of course, I also enjoy mainstream stuff like Bach's Air on G and Pachelbel's Canon in D.

diesch
December 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
* Beethoven (piano sonatas)
* Chopin (piano concert No 1, nocturnes & etudes)
* Verdi (Aida, Nabucco)
* Mussorgsky (Boris Godunov)
* Bizet (Carmen, L'Arlesienne suites)

Sealbhach
December 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Mozart - Great Mass in C, Rachmaninoff, Puccini, Handel, various Gregorian chants.

murderslastcrow
December 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Frederic Chopin.

jeyaganesh
December 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM
My favorite classic composers are Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and Brahms.
Apart from their musics, I like and often listen to George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF5OLoB1p8E&feature=related)" and Leo Delibes's "Flower Duet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qx2lMaMsl8)".

themusicalduck
December 16th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Bach and Elgar for the most part.

Psumi
December 16th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Probably... Fredric Chopin.

yester64
December 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I quite like Philip Glass as well.:) I was never really into classical music until I got into HiFi and bought my first setup a few years ago. Now I pretty much listen to anything musical just for the experience. My favorites would be:

Gustav Holst.
Gustav Mahler.
Saint Saen.
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Sergei Rachmaninoff. (First "Full Works" box set I bought.)
Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Not exactly classical, but I really like Craig Armstrong's work.

Marco.

Hey Marco,
whats your favorite glass cd? So far, i have to admit, did not listen to a lot. But Passages is already a good one. I like it.

Plumtreed
December 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Sibelius is good---New World Symphony

Zoot7
December 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Bach and Beethoven

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I am one of those people that listens, I am really listens, to all music. Depends on my mood and what I feel like listening to. Metal, country, big band (Yes I said big band), Blues, classical, etc.

My favorite Classical composer would have to be Mozart. Also I can't stand opera, (No not the browser, lol,) but Mozart's operas are the only ones I can listen to for some reason.

Edit - Bach's concertos are great as well. He would be my second favorite.

steveneddy
December 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Paul McCartney

Edward Van Halen

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Paul McCartney

Edward Van Halen

lol, wrong classic. But going along with that I must add Randy Rhodes was much better then Edward VanHalen and Jimi Hendrix over Paul McCartney.

(Sorry OP, I got a bit off topic there ;) lol)

Zoot7
December 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Edward Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen is one of my favourite guitarists and my playing style is probably more like him than anyone else, but he's hardly a classical composer? :p

gn2
December 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I have no knowledge of or interest in who wrote what classical music, for me it's just stuff they use in films and adverts.

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Eddie Van Halen is one of my favourite guitarists and my playing style is probably more like him than anyone else, but he's hardly a classical composer? :p

Actually Randy Rhodes would have been closer. He took classical lessons since childhood. His mother had taught him. Then he took classical guitar. Later of course he played two albums with Ozzy Osbourne. He died in a plan crash in 1982 I believe. You can hear the classical influence in much of what he played.

cholericfun
December 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
"c'est Bach" (HCB)
;)

listening to a lot of shostakovich lately, string quartets and such. not the symphonies.

Bartok

vivaldi 4seasons is something i could listen to all day as well.

largely am a big fan of anything smaller (or equal) than quartets.
not a big fan of orchestras for some reason.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I don't have a favorite composer because there's just too many good ones but my favorite song is Moonlight Sonata.

carniola
December 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't have a favorite composer because there's just too many good ones but my favorite song is Moonlight Sonata.

Just finished learning that this winter. It's pretty tremendous.

My favorites:

Gustav Mahler
The Czechs (Smetana, Dvorak, Janacek)
Joseph Haydn
Ludwig van Beethoven
and of course
Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart

handy
December 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Beethoven
Frank Zappa
Mozart

This thread is just another set & forget thread, which in the end is (just another) total waste of bandwidth, I think. :)

Magnes
December 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Dvorak.

I like orchestral music (i even compose one - http://www.jamendo.com/pl/album/31019 ) - but i don't like chaotic classical music. Dvorak is an exception. I like his works. I also like new "classical" music - Wojciech Kilar for example and new orchestral soundtracks (Bear McCreary, Brian Tyler, John Williams etc.).

Dj Melik
December 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky

Nutcracker
Swan Lake
Piano Concerto #1
Marche Slave

all perfections.

Ozor Mox
December 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Schubert
Impromptus, particularly Op.90 Nos. 1, 2 and 3.

Debussy
Claire De Lune, Arabesque

Chopin
Just about anything :)

NCLI
December 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I still think Beethovens 9th is ingenious, but I also love Paganini.

fancypiper
December 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
It's hard to pick my favorite, it keeps changing.

I guess today it's Tchaikovsky, but I still love the 3B's and Mozart. Oh, and Handel...

I almost forgot to mention Heitor Villa-Lobos (http://ubuntuforums.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=8508463)!

chucky chuckaluck
December 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM

my parents first date was an opera ("tristan und isolde"), i grew up listening to opera (i saw my first one when i was three), mrs. chuckaluck and i met while in boston university's opera program (we're both singers) and i have probably sung more opera than most of you have listened to, but i still can't get used to the sounds of female opera singers (with a few exceptions, including mrs. chucky and my sister). it's a sound that is... off putting, to say the least.