PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Unable to change Gnome Screen Resolution

toanders
December 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I am an ubuntu rookie. When I go to System>Display and change the resolution, nothing happens. I look for a confirmation button of some type, but it's not there. I loaded KDE and XFCE. I can change the resolution in either of the other desktops, but the change doesn't "carry over" to Gnome. I can't log in to xfce now, but that's a different issue. :grin: What am I doing wrong?

northern lights
December 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Are you possibly using a graphics device that has another tool for configuration (such as nvidia-settings for nvidia cards)?

Anuovis
December 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Well, I have two buttons at the bottom of Sytem>Preferences>Display in Gnome. One is Apply, the other one is Close. Can you see any of these?

toanders
December 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm running on an HP DL320 G4. I believe it uses an ATI 1000 video chipset. The resolution changes properly with KDE and UCFE, so I don't think it is related to the hardware. I suspect I'm missing something obvious.

toanders
December 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well, I have two buttons at the bottom of Sytem>Preferences>Display in Gnome. One is Apply, the other one is Close. Can you see any of these?
Those are the buttons I don't see! The resolution comes up 720x400, and I'm using an HP 2159 monitor, if that helps. I tried it on an old CRT monitor but got the same display.

Anuovis
December 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Are we talking about the same window? Mine looks like this...

toanders
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Got it! Once I realized there were buttons there that I couldn't see (thanks, Anuovis!) I selected "Rotation" (the last field I could see on the screen) then tabbed once and hit enter. Nothing happened, so I went back to Rotation and tabbed twice and hit enter, and the resolution changed. It's a beautiful thing!

Anuovis
December 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Glad it worked. You can actually move windows by holding alt and clicking on them with the mouse. Comes in handy from time to time.

Good luck and mark this as solved :)

toanders
December 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Anuovis! That tip will help a lot.