PDA

View Full Version : Vikings vs. ...who?

&)ky#)^
December 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'm playing around with an idea for a game. I know I want the story to resemble an ancient epic/legend/myth. The villains of the game will be the vikings. However, I don't know who the good guys should be. At first, I thought of the Anglo Saxons. However, they aren't underdog enough for me. Plus, they don't really have an iconic look about them.

So, who should fight the vikings? I'm not looking for historical accuracy here, but at the same time I don't want the protagonists to be too ridiculous. This means that aliens, zombies, sheep, and Cthulhu are out.

Please, suggest away!

HappinessNow
December 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm playing around with an idea for a game. I know I want the story to resemble an ancient epic/legend/myth. The villains of the game will be the vikings. However, I don't know who the good guys should be. At first, I thought of the Anglo Saxons. However, they aren't underdog enough for me. Plus, they don't really have an iconic look about them.

So, who should fight the vikings? I'm not looking for historical accuracy here, but at the same time I don't want the protagonists to be too ridiculous. This means that aliens, zombies, sheep, and Cthulhu are out.

Please, suggest away!I would go a bit deeper into Norse Mythology and incorporate more about Valhalla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla)

The Norse could be the good guys you are looking for?

In Norse mythology there are 'nine worlds' (níu heimar), that many scholars summarize as follows:
Asgard, world of the Æsir (East Court).
Vanaheimr, world of the Vanir.
Midgard, world of humans (Middle Court).
Muspellheim, world of the primordial element of fire (Black Smiths (Muorsh Eiron) Home).
Niflheim, world of the primordial element of ice
Svartálfaheim, world of the Svartálfar (black elves) (possibly Surt).
Álfheimr, world of the Álfar (elves).
Hel, underground world of the dead (a place in jerusalem).
Jötunheimr, world of the jötnar (Jutes).
Note the boundaries between Niflheim, Jötunheimr, Hel, Niðavellir, Svartálfaheimr, and several other significant places like Útgarðar (Outer (Far) Court) remain uncertain.
Each world also had significant places within. Valhalla is Odin's hall located in Asgaard. It was also home of the Einherjar, who were the souls of the greatest warriors. These warriors were selected by the Valkyries, Odin's mounted female messengers. The Einherjar would help defend the gods during Ragnarok. Niflhel is a hellish place in Hel, where oathbreakers and other criminals suffer torments.
These worlds are connected by Yggdrasil, the world tree, a giant tree with Asgard at its top. Chewing at its roots in Niflheim is Nidhogg, a ferocious serpent or dragon. Asgard can also be reached by Bifrost, a rainbow bridge guarded by Heimdall, a god who can see and hear a thousand miles.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology

read the sources on the link above for more material, and certain interactions for your bad guys.

drop the viking concept and incorporate Norse Mythology, make the Norse your good guys incorporate their beliefs and your bad guys are found in the "interactions" section of the linked article.

For even more inspiration you can listen to Led Zeppelin's, Immigrant Song lyrics.

Hallvor
December 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Please, suggest away!

Vikings can`t possibly be the bad guys, come on! :)

I also think that a norse mythology theme would be better, and there are already a lot of legends/myths you can play on.

3rdalbum
December 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Vikings versus Ninjas?

V for Vincent
December 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Vikings versus Ninjas?

It's got my vote!

Exodist
December 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I would have loved to be a Viking!

Anuovis
December 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Lithuanians

RiceMonster
December 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Vikings vs aliens vs zombies vs sheep vs Cthulhu

ikacer
December 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
So, who should fight the vikings?

Packers!

lisati
December 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Vikings vs Warriors? http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2380628/NFL-wants-Warriors-hulk

Mark76
December 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Quakers :D

wmcbrine
December 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Romans?

Mark76
December 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
They did, and ended up working for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians

Jesus_Valdez
December 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Indianapolis Colts.

And the obvious winner, Payton Manning.

Also, ninjas.

There's a TV show You should check out: http://www.spike.com/show/31082

bluelamp999
December 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Vikings vs. Celts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

Shpongle
December 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
celts vs romans ??

RiceMonster
December 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Vikings vs Godzilla

aaaantoine
December 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Vikings vs. Pirates. Duh.

JDShu
December 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
How about villagers?

Swarms
December 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Vikings vs nuns.

Странник
December 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Zombies

Cuddles McKitten
December 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Iron-age Finnish hunter-gatherers, mimes, accountants, or giant ground sloths of the Pleistocene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_ground_sloth).

chucky chuckaluck
December 15th, 2009, 08:47 PM
iroquois

LowSky
December 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
How about villagers?

Design your village to be Viking proof... ok I want credit...

Design your village, then watch as Vikings try to pillage and burn it. The longer your town holds the more rewards you get.
The last level can be your lands coming together to fight the Viking Horde back to the freezing waters in which they came from.

This sounds EPIC and FUN!

pick from any of these cultures to fight the Viking Hordes

Native American
Celtic
Breton
Roman
Byzantine
Slavic
Prussian
Norse (fight Vikings with Vikings)
Deutsche
Saxon

forrestcupp
December 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I don't want the protagonists to be too ridiculous. This means that aliens, zombies, sheep, and Cthulhu are out.

Are you implying that the Cthulhu aren't real? :)

markbuntu
December 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Viking vs Native Americans who chased them away a few times.

Hallvor
December 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Viking vs Native Americans who chased them away a few times.

Oh well...

"Now it is to be told that Karlsefni caused a strong wooden palisade to be constructed and set up around the house. It was at this time that Gudrid, Karlsefni's wife, gave birth to a male child, and the boy was called Snorri. In the early part of the second winter the Skrellings came to them again, and these were now much more numerous than before, and brought with them the same wares as at first. Then said Karlsefni to the women: "Do ye carry out now the same food, which proved so profitable before, and nought else." When they saw this they cast their packs in over the palisade. Gudrid was sitting within, in the doorway, beside the cradle of her infant son, Snorri when a shadow fell upon the door, and a woman in a black namkirtle ( 70) entered. She was short in stature, and wore a fillet about her head; her hair was of a light chestnut colour, and she was pale of hue, and so big-eyed that never before had eyes so large been seen in a human skull. She went up to where Gudrid was seated, and said: "What is thy name?" "My name is Gudrid; but what is thy name?" "My name is Gudrid," says she. The housewife, Gudrid, motioned her with her hand to a seat beside her; but it so happened, that at that very instant Gudrid heard a great crash, whereupon the woman vanished, and at that same moment one of the Skrellings,

p. 95

who had tried to seize their weapons, was killed by one of Karlsefni's followers. At this the Skrellings fled precipitately, leaving their garments and wares behind them; and not a soul, save Gudrid alone, beheld this woman. "Now we must needs take counsel together," says Karlsefni, "for that I believe they will visit us a third time, in great numbers, and attack us. Let us now adopt this plan: ten of our number shall go out upon the cape, and show themselves there, while the remainder of our company shall go into the woods and hew a clearing for our cattle, when the troop approaches from the forest. We will also take our bull, and let him go in advance of us." The lay of the land was such that the proposed meeting-place had the lake upon the one side and the forest upon the other. Karlsefni's advice was now carried into execution. The Skrellings advanced to the spot which Karlsefni had selected for the encounter, and a battle was fought there, in which great numbers of the band of the Skrellings were slain. There was one man among the Skrellings, of large size and fine bearing, whom Karlsefni concluded must be their chief. One of the Skrellings picked up an axe, and having looked at it for a time, he brandished it about one of his companions, and hewed at him, and on the instant the man fell dead. Thereupon the big man seized the axe and after examining it for a moment he hurled it as far as he could, out into the sea; then they fled helter-skelter into the woods, and thus their intercourse came to an end. Karlsefni and his party remained there throughout the winter, but in the spring Karlsefni announced that he was not minded

p. 96

to remain there longer, but would return to Greenland. They now made ready for the voyage, and carried away with them much booty in vines and grapes and peltries. They sailed out upon the high seas, and brought their ship safely to Ericsfirth, where they remained during the winter."

http://www.norron-mytologi.info/diverse/norsediscovery.htm

fromthehill
December 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Vikings vs nuns.
that's no fun
they always use god-mode :(

Paqman
December 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Vikings vs Reverse vampires. Gotta love those reverse vampires!

mess110
December 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
vikings vs emo kids (the vikings need to be fuged on shrooms)

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Vikings can`t possibly be the bad guys, come on! :)

I also think that a norse mythology theme would be better, and there are already a lot of legends/myths you can play on.My point exactly, the Norse vs the Nazi's would even be better! :P

JDShu
December 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Design your village, then watch as Vikings try to pillage and burn it. The longer your town holds the more rewards you get.
The last level can be your lands coming together to fight the Viking Horde back to the freezing waters in which they came from.

This sounds EPIC and FUN!

This does sound like a lot of fun actually.

drawkcab
December 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Vikings vs. Vikings, because you can never have too many vikings.

Mark76
December 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
It's so obvious I'm really surprised none of you have thought of it already

Vikings vs Samurai.

It's the new Pirates vs Ninjas

steev182
December 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Carolina Panthers....