PDA

View Full Version : Get Windows 7 Superbar in Ubuntu 9.10

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Hey i have set up a tutorial on How to get a Windows 7 like Superbar in Ubuntu 9.10

http://ubuntuweblog.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/windows-7-like-superbar-in-ubuntu-9-10/

m4tic
December 15th, 2009, 06:02 AM
What's a superbar and what are the advantages it has

witeshark17
December 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
If any, a windows graphic element without any registry ;)

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
There are 3-
1)This is without bloated windows registry.
2)Takes up less space
3)Looks Cool

murderslastcrow
December 15th, 2009, 06:23 AM
It's just convenient and saves space- I've been using dockbarx for a while. Not as huge and greedy as a dock, it's like quick launch icons that use the icon to manage the windows, and groups multiple instances of one program in the same icon to save space. It's actually very convenient for me, and it resizes with your panels, so if you have a smaller panel, it makes it easier to manage more windows at one time. And it's kinda' pretty, too.

Probably one of the only times a Linux developer got a good idea from Microsoft, to be honest. But I like dockbarX's implementation a lot better than Microsoft's already.

Just goes to show that you can't just change the interface, you have to improve the whole OS if you want to have any real advantage over your competition. Linux has it all, yo. XD

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 06:27 AM
i agree with you.
DockBarX is Prettier than Windows Superbar.

hobo14
December 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I use DockBarX (http://gnome-look.org/?xcontentmode=190) too. Love it!

Looks to me like his tutorial just installs vanilla DockBarX?

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM
What is vanilla DockBarX?

hobo14
December 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM

vanilla <=> plain, normal

Try DockBarX for yourself.

The_Pirate_King
December 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
And I never even figured out how to get the Windows 7 Superbar in Windows!

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Looks to me like his tutorial just installs vanilla DockBarX?

I made this tutorial so that people can get a Superbar without installing a Dock.

hobo14
December 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Oh, you're the OP! LOL

I didn't realise. ;)

I'm confused: what are the differences between DockBarX and whatever you install in your tute?

What do you mean by "get a SuperBar without installing a Dock"?

insane_alien
December 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
so its just a thicker taskbar?

not really interested at all. and hasn't KDE had that for... ever?

Flying caveman
December 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!! What's up with the icons all over your desktop?

project12kilo
December 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I like this forum and I like to recommend using Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 (http://www.ubuntu.com) for all your computing needs. I am volunteering to promote Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop. Thanks for your attention.

mikewhatever
December 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Wow, your desktop is a mess.;)

Ms_Angel_D
December 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Wow, your desktop is a mess.;)

:lolflag: I was thinking the same thing....

ssj6akshat
December 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Well I'm kind of Lazy

3rdalbum
December 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
That's the "Superbar"? What's so super about it? It looks like RISC-OS from the early 1990s.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
@ ssj6akshat

Aside from your desktop being 'supermessy', I see no 'superbar'. Just a transparent gnome panel.

Want something that truly resembles the 'superbar'. A few settings in AWN will get you this: http://content.imagesocket.com/images/KarmicDecember1808.jpeg

RiceMonster
December 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!! What's up with the icons all over your desktop?

Agreed x a million.

ceciliaFX
December 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
What's a superbar and what are the advantages it has
not really sure. I am playing with a window7 laptop (which I have to return). here's a link (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/15/windows-7-superbar-overview) about the menu bar in win7

Even though the Taskbar is still named "Taskbar" in Windows 7, due to its fresh new look and awesome features, it is called as Superbar by many.uh, maybe......

ok, I have noticed the thumbnails and condensed multiple windows. at least it's cleaner

mivo
December 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
3)Looks Cool

Have you actually used Windows 7 and the super bar? It isn't about looks or even "saving space", but about functionality that your solution(?) doesn't offer.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Have you actually used Windows 7 and the super bar? It isn't about looks or even "saving space", but about functionality that your solution(?) doesn't offer.
+1

And though AWN can reproduce, pretty effectively, the appearance. Win 7's 'superbar' functionality is unparalleled, in my opinion. One of the few things in Windows 7 I truly love. Along the Media Center.

whiskeylover
December 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Probably one of the only times a Linux developer got a good idea from Microsoft, to be honest. But I like dockbarX's implementation a lot better than Microsoft's already.

Care to explain why? IMO, Win7's superbar is way better than docbarx. And no, I'm not an MS fanboy.

Here are my reasons why the superbar is way better.

Consistency is showing window thumbnails.
Fast resize and movement of the thumbnail preview as you move your mouse pointer over various icons.
Crisp and clear icons. Dockbarx's icons suck.
There is no way to show multiple previews instead of the ugly list like in the superbar.
Jumplists
Pinning programs.

I know most of you will argue that those are features that you don't use. I never used them before win7 either. But once I started using them, I liked them a lot.

Just my two cents.

alexfish
December 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Visually easy look here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1355693

Uncle Spellbinder
December 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Visually easy look here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1355693

Posting a link to a completely unrelated thread you started?

Um............OK

Mark76
December 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM
That's the "Superbar"? What's so super about it? It looks like RISC-OS from the early 1990s.

Are you referring to the obvious Gnome panel in the OP's link?

Because I don't think the RISC OS icon bar ever looked like that.

ticopelp
December 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know about Superbar, but DockBarX is cool, thanks for the link.

A_T
December 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I must be missing something because I can see no point in adding a dockbar - the panels work perfectly well for me.

kaivalagi
December 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Avant window navigator (AWN) FTW...

monkeyKata
December 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Just a quick question:

With any of these programs/applets being discussed (AWN, Dockbar, Dockbar-X) or even other dock applications, is there a way to have the default Gnome menus show up when hovering over the icons or right-clicking them? By this, I'm referring to what Gnome displays when, for example, right-clicking a program in the windows list (_Minimize, Maximize, Move, Resize, Always on Top... Move to Another Workspace, Close) or the simple gtk-themed box that pops up when hovered over, giving the full name of the program.

What I didn't like about all the dock apps I've tried is that they have different right-click options with their own theme and font, and that doesn't usually go well with the gtk theme I'm using. Docky, for example, I really loved but wished there were an option to use Gnome's own theming and right-click functionality. I noticed that the original Dockbar applet (not X) uses my gtk theme, but still changes these options a bit. Is anybody else feeling me here?

Just thought I'd ask... if there's a way to do this with some of these apps that I have overlooked I'd love to know.

TheNessus
December 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM

this is consistent if your gnome icon theme is consistent...

Fast resize and movement of the thumbnail preview as you move your mouse pointer over various icons.

You can make Compiz show the thumbnail at any speed, 5 seconds, instantaneous, etc... no resize, true.

depends on the dockbarx theme you choose... default sucks, others are 7-ish, etc.

There is no way to show multiple previews instead of the ugly list like in the superbar.

True, but I prefer it like a list.

Jumplists

no big loss.

Pinning programs.

Pinning programs... how is that different than a normal launcher on the panel exactly? oh, wow, windows 7 can have launchers on its panel, big technological leap...;)

murderslastcrow
December 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Actually, I think they all modify the system menus to have something entirely different appear. :\ But I'll do some more research. I've used about all of these things that are worth using, but didn't experiment too much with the right-clicking.

I'm a bit more interested in whether these work in Xfce4's xfapplet or not. After my work this week I think I might reinstall my system just to play around with it.

monkeyKata
December 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Well I can partially answer my own question now. After seeing the panel-like screenshot of awn, and having seen similar screens of others, I reinstalled awn using the awn-testing ppa to have whatever latest version it's on, and sure enough it displays the standard gnome options at right-click, gtk-theme and all. I may start using this one.

Now what settings exactly turn it into a panel rather than a bar?
EDIT: Expand the panel. obvious enough

hobo14
December 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Maybe it's just the icon set I'm using, but my (48px) dockbarX icons are gorgeous, and so crisp they're crunchy.

Honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

ssj6akshat
December 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Care to explain why? IMO, Win7's superbar is way better than docbarx. And no, I'm not an MS fanboy.

Drag an Icon from Applications Menu to the Panel.

Mark76
December 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I can do that with my ROX panel and the pinboard.

M7S
December 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I couldn't resist commenting wiskeylovers critisism and inform you what is going on with dockbarx.

First I want to say that I agree that win7 taskbar is better than dockbarx in some aspects. Secondly I want to point out that dockbarx isn't meant to be a clone of win7's taskbar, it's just implementing some of the usability improvements shown in win7's taskbar. Unlike previous "improvements" to windows' taskbar, win7 is actually philosophically consistent and IMHO has some improvements over gnome's windows list. See this link for a deeper insight in the philosophy: http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2009/01/dock-and-windows-7-taskbar.ars

And now to the specific critisism I like to comment:

This is indeed a strongpoint for win7 taskbar. DockbarX is simply using compiz plugin for it's previews and can't get this feature until someone writes a new compiz plugin (and that someone won't be me, I'm pretty much a python only guy).

Is this anymore than eye candy, though admittedly it's very good looking eye candy?

Some themes has very blurry icons. Most themes has perfectly crisp icons in my experience though. You are talking about the icons and not the looks of the buttons, right?

Sometimes dockbarx can't get the right icon for a program as well, if that's what you're talking about. The guessing algorithm will be improved in the next version of dockbarx though.

Jumplists
I would like something like jumplists very much. Here win7's taskbar has a huge advantage being the taskbar for the OS. Microsoft is simply expecting programmers to add jumplists options to their programs. I would have to do everything myself. I'm concidering adding the possibility to add plugins for dockbarx so you can make custom launchers for applications with application specific functions, though.

Pinning programs.
Dockbarx can pin programs! That was the first feature I added to vanilla dockbar when I started the experimental branch (which became dockbarx), without the possibility to pin programs I wouldn't be interested in using dockbarx myself. You have to drag applications from gnome-menu to pin them. For now you have to enter the right class name to get the launcher to work correctly but that wont be necessary in the next version.

My 2 cents. I've used win7's taskbar less than 5 minutes in my life, myself, so don't take it too seriously. ;)

I hope to have the new version out by the end of this week, the new features can already be tested if you download the branch from launchpad.

M7S,
Dockbarx developer