PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy???

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Would you think I would make money if i sold operating systems on flash drives already to go? I could sell almost any OS (but Ubuntu and other Linux distros would be cheaper because I would only charge for the flash drive and my time) Windows OS's would cost more because they are not open source (or free). I would mostly do Ubuntu but i would do other distros if they (the people i sell the flash drives to) wanted me to.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I could also sell them in the form of SD cards...

User3k
December 15th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Are you just going to sell the drives and nothing else? If so I am not sure there would be much money made in that. If you sold the drives with other things, like services, etc, then I can see that working out a little better.

chickengirl
December 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I would if the price were reasonable. Not so much because I'm not perfectly capable of putting a distro on a flash drive myself, but because it would save me the trouble of having to hunt down a spare flash drive to do it. :p

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Would you think I would make money if i sold operating systems on flash drives already to go? I could sell almost any OS (but Ubuntu and other Linux distros would be cheaper because I would only charge for the flash drive and my time) Windows OS's would cost more because they are not open source (or free). I would mostly do Ubuntu but i would do other distros if they (the people i sell the flash drives to) wanted me to.

lol you won't sell windows on flash drives. you're funny.

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I would if the price were reasonable. Not so much because I'm not perfectly capable of putting a distro on a flash drive myself, but because it would save me the trouble of having to hunt down a spare flash drive to do it. :p

so you'd rather order an OS loaded flashdrive from this guy, instead of ordering one online or going to your local B&M to get one?

you make zero sense. just sayin.

The_Pirate_King
December 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Are you just going to sell the drives and nothing else? If so I am not sure there would be much money made in that. If you sold the drives with other things, like services, etc, then I can see that working out a little better.
Hey, you never know. If he sold it for like, $20, and found some unsuspecting windows idiots, they might say "Whoah, an operating system for only $20!? That's a steal!".
Could make some serious money that way. :D

Gizenshya
December 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Well, atm, no. I would be more apt to spend like $3-$5 on a LiveCD. I'd add some stuff like instructions of finding the forums. People would probably rather have Mint, unless you make your own Ubuntu LiveCD after installing things like the restricted codecs. But then it would only really fit on a DVD. They are cheap, too, though. Way less than $1 per DVD.

The problem with flash drives (USB thumb drives, SD, whatever) is that they are still kindof expensive. If you want to cover the cists, it will cost like $10-15 per drive... and people just won't pay that for convenience.

For a while I got 100 stacks of CD's with Fedora core and gave them away to peeps in the dorm (I gave them to the RA's to hand out at the hall desk).

What I didn't know at first is how fragile CD burners are. After about the second stack I started getting errors. I can afford to give away a stack of CD's every now and again, but not new CD drives to burn them.

Just remember to factor in drive wear into your cost.

You aren't going to make much money, but it will keep you busy if you have nothing else to do, and at least you can make some money.

Make sure you check up on your tax laws and any business licenses or permits you may need. Once money gets involved, things change.

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM
The problem with flash drives (USB thumb drives, SD, whatever) is that they are still kindof expensive. If you want to cover the cists, it will cost like $10-15 per drive... and people just won't pay that for convenience.

they will if they have a netbook.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 05:54 AM
lol you won't sell windows on flash drives. you're funny.

It is possible, plus it is what the buyers want. I did say Linux would be most of it.

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 05:56 AM
It is possible, plus it is what the buyers want. I did say Linux would be most of it.

if that's "what the buyers want", then it WON'T be most of it.

Puzzled Guy
December 15th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Distributing Windows would only be legal if you are an authorized seller.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hey, you never know. If he sold it for like, $20, and found some unsuspecting windows idiots, they might say "Whoah, an operating system for only $20!? That's a steal!".
Could make some serious money that way. :D

Yep! Sure could. I could show my friends all the cool Compiz Fusion affects running on their computer and they will be like "I did not know my computer could do that?!?" And I will say "You could have it for 20$!" and I just made an easy 20 bucks!:D:D

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Distributing Windows would only be legal if you are an authorized seller.
I know that. That is why it would cost alot.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 06:26 AM

I would give a warranty and help them configure there BIOS for them.

murderslastcrow
December 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I was planning to do this when I start my Ubuntu shop, offer other distros on keychain USB drives. Along with including Linux-compatible media players, phones, and games in store.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Well, atm, no. I would be more apt to spend like $3-$5 on a LiveCD. I'd add some stuff like instructions of finding the forums. People would probably rather have Mint, unless you make your own Ubuntu LiveCD after installing things like the restricted codecs. But then it would only really fit on a DVD. They are cheap, too, though. Way less than $1 per DVD.

For a while I got 100 stacks of CD's with Fedora core and gave them away to peeps in the dorm (I gave them to the RA's to hand out at the hall desk).

What I didn't know at first is how fragile CD burners are. After about the second stack I started getting errors. I can afford to give away a stack of CD's every now and again, but not new CD drives to burn them.

Just remember to factor in drive wear into your cost.

You aren't going to make much money, but it will keep you busy if you have nothing else to do, and at least you can make some money.

Make sure you check up on your tax laws and any business licenses or permits you may need. Once money gets involved, things change.

HaHaHa. My local Wal-Mart mispriced some flash drives (they were 5$ they were supposed to be 15$) and I stocked up. lol

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I was planning to do this when I start my Ubuntu shop, offer other distros on keychain USB drives. Along with including Linux-compatible media players, phones, and games in store.

Cool, I was going to add these to my soon-to-be online store. It would be called "McMike Technologies©"! I am also working on a Linux distro (Hopely it will be ready by 2010 August 21) and also a Mac OS X like Dock for my Linux distro and also it will work for Windows (Like RocketDock). But I am still a young Dev.... (13) Yes I just said 13..... I am the smartest computer person around where I live. (For my age)

darkksyde
December 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Possibly but i think your not allowed to make a profit off the linux image on the flashdrive

gn2
December 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Would you think I would make money if i sold operating systems on flash drives already to go?

No, you would struggle to break even.
Major players are already in the business of selling flash drives with OSs on them, you would have to undercut them and establish yourself as their equal in the marketplace to stand any chance of making any reasonable sales volumes.
That's before you even consider that it's made impossible by the fact that the internet is awash with free utilities to do the job at zero cost.

As Duncan Bannatyne et al would say, I'm out.

-grubby
December 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
It is possible

Windows doesn't install to USB devices. No it is not possible.

nothingspecial
December 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
You are asking in the wrong place since everybody here is perfectly capable of doing it themselves.

gn2
December 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Depending on hardware used, it is possible with a bit of tweakery.

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

Grenage
December 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Don't give out warranties, if they are heavily used then they won't last long.

To be honest: it's a bad business plan doomed to failure, but you might make some money selling them to ignorant locals.

ctdahle
December 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Several years ago, I would have said, "Yes". But Ubuntu has succeeded in making Linux easy enough to install that I don't think you would have many buyers. I would buy a flash drive preloaded with Ubuntu from the Ubuntu shop just to have a cool Ubuntu branded flashdrive, but I wouldn't be likely to buy a generic drive from you or anyone else just because it had a linux distro on it. Sorry to rain on your parade. People inclined to want to run Linux from a flash drive probably already have the ability to quickly create the drive themselves.

BuffaloX
December 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe it would be possible to sell Linux sticks made specifically for home-banking with Pre-installed Java?

User3k
December 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe it would be possible to sell Linux sticks made specifically for home-banking with Pre-installed Java?

Maybe other specialized ones as well.

Grenage
December 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe, but would you trust an install designed for internet banking, supplied by some shady character?

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM

now THIS is a good idea.

cascade9
December 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
You are asking in the wrong place since everybody here is perfectly capable of doing it themselves.

Probably true.

But IMO there is a market for this. Its not something I would be doing (see above) but theres money in the idea. Not as much as the OP probably hopes, but still, there is money...Sure, it might cost a few more $$$ to get it via the OP than it would to go to the store, buy a flash drive, download an .iso, install it to the USB stick. But much less stuffing around. Even if only 0.01% of computer users would be interested in the idea and willing to pay the extra cost, thats a huge market.

You would be taking a risk on this idea, but here goes-

Order 100+ flash drives with a custom logo (from whatever OS you want to ship them with).
I know people that would probably pay a few extra dollars just for a screen or laser printed logo for thier favourite distro.
Send a few into the major linux magazines. Free coverage, and if your already online selling them (by whatever method) when the articles hit the shelf, you should do OK. I hope.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Yes it is. That is how I got it working (Windows 7) on my bro's netbook.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Good idea.

plurworldinc
December 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
You should just do what I did, it worked out better for me in the end. If your gong to sell flash drives of Linux OS ( which is legal) charge for the flash drives, CD, etc.

The way you really make your money off of that deal is though tech support. I would recommend customizing the distro a little for your self just to get your own feel to it.

Good Luck !!!

nothingspecial
December 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thinking about it, not much.

If you buy stock and invest time them I think you`re probably going to loose out.

However, if you do them to order, with deposit. Then who knows, you might make a bit of cash. You`ve nothing to loose.

However, I doubt you`ll make a living from it.

McMichael96
December 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
You should just do what I did, it worked out better for me in the end. If your gong to sell flash drives of Linux OS ( which is legal) charge for the flash drives, CD, etc.

The way you really make your money off of that deal is though tech support. I would recommend customizing the distro a little for your self just to get your own feel to it.

Good Luck !!!

Thats what I am planing to do! :D

pwnst*r
December 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Good idea.

but he's not RUNNING it from the drive. you INSTALLED from it, no?

markbuntu
December 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM
There is a distro out there that is designed to run off a usb stick and it has all the cool linux games on it. A lot of kids use it with their school computers so they dont get in trouble by having forbidden games on their machines hard drive. I think it is called linux gamer or something like that.

A 13 year old could make some money selling something like that to his schoolmates.

t0p
December 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Possibly but i think your not allowed to make a profit off the linux image on the flashdrive

You think wrong. There's no crime in profiting from Linux.

OP: I don't reckon you'll make much just selling usb drives. You need to offer a service. Like tech support. Though I doubt you're set up to do that (school will interfere with a full-time job).

gn2
December 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
but he's not RUNNING it from the drive.

It can be done though.

McMichael96
December 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
You think wrong. There's no crime in profiting from Linux.

OP: I don't reckon you'll make much just selling usb drives. You need to offer a service. Like tech support. Though I doubt you're set up to do that (school will interfere with a full-time job).

Well I am home-schooled but I got some friends that would sell them for me that go to public school. I get my school done in about 4 hours. (On a normal day.)

pwnst*r
December 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM
It can be done though.

not legally.

gn2
December 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
not legally.

Nonsense.

pwnst*r
December 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Nonsense.

why is it nonsense? so you're saying MS is okay with you running it on as many pc's as you wish?

just sayin.

gn2
December 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Booting from a USB drive doesn't necessarily mean booting from USB on multiple machines.
As far as I know, Windows can't be made to boot on different machines from a USB drive, it isn't Linux remember ;)

Chronon
December 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Booting from a USB drive doesn't necessarily mean booting from USB on multiple machines.
As far as I know, Windows can't be made to boot on different machines from a USB drive, it isn't Linux remember ;)

Right. So how would one make a pre-installed Windows system that will boot on my hardware?

gn2
December 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
No idea. Maybe these people (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support&ws=mscom) could help you with that....?

Chronon
December 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM
The OP is considering selling Windows on flash drives. I didn't say I wanted to do this.

pwnst*r
December 18th, 2009, 02:36 AM
No idea. Maybe these people (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support&ws=mscom) could help you with that....?

doesn't matter. the MS + usb drive won't happen.

cascade9
December 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
@ pwnst*r- wont happen? If you mean 'selling USB sticks with windows preinstalled', I agree, but it is sure possible to install windows to a USB stick, no matter what microsoft says.

Right. So how would one make a pre-installed Windows system that will boot on my hardware?

With USB? depends on the OS you want to use. I've only found info on how to do this with XP, but I'm pretty sure that its possible on vista/win7.

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

Of course, you'll have all the usual micosoft problems (in this case the worst being "dont try to boot the USB stick with XP installed on other systems as you may break windows").

BTW, there is now eSATA sticks around. I havent checked benchmarks, but I would guess that eSATA would give more bandwidth to a flash drive, making it nicer for using as an OS.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_throttle_esata_flash_drive

Back on subject- has anyone who says 'theres no money in this idea' even checked the prices on flash memory? I've found that there is a good 20% difference between the cheaper places where I get my stuff and the larger computer stores around. Sure, its only $10 on (approx) $50 sticks, but that isnt bad.

I'm pretty sure that you could put a few more $$$ on the higher price just to save people the mucking around needed to install any linux on a USB drive.

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
@ pwnst*r- wont happen? If you mean 'selling USB sticks with windows preinstalled', I agree, but it is sure possible to install windows to a USB stick, no matter what microsoft says.

again, not legal. and certainly not in the best interests of the OP if he's representing open source solutions at any level.

cascade9
December 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
'Not legal' to sell them, fair enough.

As for running windows from USB, thats probably 'not legal' if you listen to microsofts legal department, but if you did it from a legal install disc, I cant see any problems from installing to USB instead of Hdd.

gn2
December 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM
again, not legal. and certainly not in the best interests of the OP if he's representing open source solutions at any level.

One very effective way of changing bad laws is by disobeying them en masse.

Grenage
December 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM

Tell that to copyright infringers :)

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
On the question of being able to boot Win7 from a flash stick: I don't see why not. Given enough thought, just about anything can be made to work. A friend of mine got hold of a self-validating Vista off a torrent site somewhere. Highly illegal of course. As is anything that breaks Microsoft's EULAs. Note: everything is against Microsoft's EULAs, if Microsoft chooses.

As for selling Ubuntu on flash sticks: I just don't think it's viable without tech support thrown in. I'm sure a few people would be willing to pay Canonical for such sticks. But some stranger on the internet? Don't think so.

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Mass civil disobedience can cause bad laws to change. But only after many heads have been broken. And the disobedience (and the skull-bashing) needs to take place in public. International TV helps.

Mass disobedience of copyright laws over the internet won't attract foreign TV stations. Geeks in darkened bedrooms clicking forbidden links isn't very sexy.