PDA

View Full Version : is freespire dead forever ?

h4xor66
December 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM
man iv been waiting a long time for someone to pickup freespire and run with it ..... only because its the only thing ( besides puppy , and who wants that ) that will run on my ten year old laptop due to the worst video chip ever built ( trident cyber blade )

anyone have any suggestions as to what i could run on this old thing 1.1.ghz 256mb none of the newer distros will support the pos video card

zvacet
December 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM
If you want Freespire download it from here. (http://www.freespire.org/) I think Puppy is good small distro,but that is just my opinion.

synapsys
December 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Have you tried slax? It's meant to be a live cd, but it can be installed.

http://www.slax.org/

h4xor66
December 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM
If you want Freespire download it from here. (http://www.freespire.org/) I think Puppy is good small distro,but that is just my opinion.

i already have freespire ... its the only thing that works on my laptop .... and as for puppy , what kind of person would want a distribution that always runs in root , i might as well run windows xp... running in root just defeats the entire purpose of using linux in the first place

User3k
December 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
i already have freespire ... its the only thing that works on my laptop .... and as for puppy , what kind of person would want a distribution that always runs in root , i might as well run windows xp... running in root just defeats the entire purpose of using linux in the first place

That is one thing I don't like as well. I do like Puppy but I hate the fact, by default, it runs as root. Not a good idea since it is so easy to access other drives from Puppy.

I do believe that there is a way to change that with an HD install but I mainly use Puppy these days to access drives, copy files, low level things I need to do from a liveCD every now and then.

h4xor66
December 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Have you tried slax? It's meant to be a live cd, but it can be installed.

http://www.slax.org/

im actually thinking of giving slax a try ... but if it uses the latest kernel it's not going to work on my laptop .. also i heard slax doesnt check for dependencies when you are installing software .... that just sounds kinda lame to me

distributions that i have tried on this laptop that do not work : ubuntu , mint, debian, open suse,

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
im actually thinking of giving slax a try ... but if it uses the latest kernel it's not going to work on my laptop .. also i heard slax doesnt check for dependencies when you are installing software .... that just sounds kinda lame to me

distributions that i have tried on this laptop that do not work : ubuntu , mint, debian, open suse,

Have you tried Xubuntu?

h4xor66
December 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
That is one thing I don't like as well. I do like Puppy but I hate the fact, by default, it runs as root. Not a good idea since it is so easy to access other drives from Puppy.

I do believe that there is a way to change that with an HD install but I mainly use Puppy these days to access drives, copy files, low level things I need to do from a liveCD every now and then.

yeah i installed puppy a while back and was like damn this looks alot nicer than i thought it would .... then it was like hey wait a minute ... im stuck in root , well thats just not gonna work on a machine that is used for nothing but surfing the net .... and i couldnt find a way to get out of root ..... i heard that someone made a puplet that doesnt run in root but i havent found it yet ( havent really looked hard either )

SlugSlug
December 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
dsl?

h4xor66
December 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Have you tried Xubuntu?

nah not yet ... but im thinking that because it wont run on any of the other ubuntu based distros that it probably wont work in xubuntu ... what i really need is an older ubuntu based distro that is still getting security updates and can still be updated with the latest firefox .... cause i think i remember ubuntu 7.04 working fine on this thing ..... im just gonna have to keep trying different distros till i find one that will work with this stupid video chip

h4xor66
December 16th, 2009, 12:13 AM
dsl?

for some reason it freezes during the boot process .... it may be a bad cd ... i bet dsl would work if it would load though ... im out of cd's right now ... ill have to get some and try burning it again

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
nah not yet ... but im thinking that because it wont run on any of the other ubuntu based distros that it probably wont work in xubuntu ... what i really need is an older ubuntu based distro that is still getting security updates and can still be updated with the latest firefox .... cause i think i remember ubuntu 7.04 working fine on this thing ..... im just gonna have to keep trying different distros till i find one that will work with this stupid video chip

While XFCE isn't as light as it use to be, it is still light and Xubuntu is much lighter then Ubuntu, openSuse, etc. I am not sure if it would work or not but it might be worth a shot.

judge jankum
December 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm in here now on a live cd of DSL lmao!!! My wheel mouse ain't workin' but other than that this thing's fast lol!!!
Not sure I'd want it as my os though....

synapsys
December 16th, 2009, 12:40 AM
http://pclinuxos.com/

chillicampari
December 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I remember using something with a Trident card for a bit a few years ago (but don't remember which distro I was using with that) and having problems with it back then, and it needing a custom config file to work so I'm guessing that Xorg setup might be an area to look at no matter which distro. This thread might have some help (and it has some suggested xorg.conf setups) if you want to play with that side of it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80683

hunterkasy
December 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I had a machine that was a 1ghz with 384mb of memory, don't remember the graphic card but it was a on board. I installed ubuntu 9.10 but I had issues with the graphics card, got it fully updated because I know 9.10 has a few bugs, but still didn't work right, instead of trouble shooting I just installed xubuntu, and everything works just fine, If I were you I would try xubuntu the worst it will do is loose time over it

AlexanderAzimov
December 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
what kind of person would want a distribution that always runs in root , i might as well run windows xp... running in root just defeats the entire purpose of using linux in the first place

I use Back track from time to time. and that runs in root only (So far as I can tell) But then again. So to answer that question a security professional, not that I am one far from it in fact.

DeadSuperHero
December 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I really liked both FreeSpire and Linspire back in their heyday. I thought Linspire-5.0 was incredibly polished for its time. Their customization of KDE, along with distro-specific applications was just great.

I wonder what they would have been like if they were still an independent distro and worked with KDE4...ah well.

MaxIBoy
December 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
yeah i installed puppy a while back and was like damn this looks alot nicer than i thought it would .... then it was like hey wait a minute ... im stuck in root , well thats just not gonna work on a machine that is used for nothing but surfing the net .... and i couldnt find a way to get out of root ..... i heard that someone made a puplet that doesnt run in root but i havent found it yet ( havent really looked hard either )
http://www.puppylinux.org/news/puplets/puppy421multiuseriso/

Having tried it myself, it has a ways to go. It's like someone tacked on an "add user" wizard to Puppy and that's about it. You need to add yourself to the "wheel" group to do stuff like connect to the Internet, which means you can use sudo without a password. (!) Also, this sudo has to be typed in from the command line. The filesystem is layed out so that many programs have their own directories (putting executables in PATH? Who does that?) So you find yourself doing something like sudo /Apps/Connect/connect.sh, just so you can click through a multiple step wizard, instead of just doing "sudo ifup eth0 && sudo dhclient."

The guy who developed it has even admitted that he "doesn't have much experience with sudo."

Not to mention, besides the "add user" wizard, there are no graphical user/group administration tools whatsoever. (Not a dealbreaker for me, but c'mon, why create a wizard at all-- adding the user is only one command plus a few to set the groups, other tasks can be much more involved.)

murderslastcrow
December 16th, 2009, 06:39 AM
It seems to me that maybe your computer just needs the 2.4 kernel? You could install a command-line ubuntu system, recompile it with an older kernel, then install some software on top of that? Not sure, I've only ever compiled utilities and Power PC source, so I'm not sure how you would compile the kernel, but I'm fairly certain you can do it from the command line.

Your computer seems like it has great specs for basic Linux use, just not a very good video card. I've set Ubuntu up with compiz on similar hardware. You may want to use an environment like enlightenment 17 or Xfce.

Also, you can try out Crunchbang Linux, even though it's still using Jaunty as a base. This requires less specs, and will work on most computers with 128 MB of RAM or more.

h4xor66
December 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
well , enough people have said xubuntu that im gonna give it a shot ..... to be honest , someone who has much more experience with linux could probably get any of the distros to work with my setup .... im sure its just a matter of a custom xorg.config file ... because what the problem is , is that i cant get above 800x600 res and i have a weird lcd that will ONLY display in 1024x768 so what happens is that i get a small box of a display inside my bigger screen that wont stretch to fit .... iv tried fooling with xorg a little and i just dont get it so im gonna try xubuntu and if it doesnt work ill come back here and post my xorgconfig and maybe someone can tell me how to edit it to work

h4xor66
December 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
SOLVED ... using pclinux gnome and working great

graabein
December 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Grats!

OT: Is the avatar the dude from The Office or is it you?

h4xor66
December 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Grats!

OT: Is the avatar the dude from The Office or is it you?

lol ... it's me