PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to revert boot to earlier kernel version?

thalo
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM
i have 9.10 installed on an acer aspire 3002LCi. everything has been working well, i had earlier issues with the wireless modem but that is all fixed now. recently, including today, i have tried to use a usb mouse (tried wireless and wired) and they didnt work. i ran lsusb and it showed both wired and wireless usb conncetions, but they still wouldnt work. in addition when i would boot up the computer, i would show the ubuntu logo and then go black just before the login screen. things are happening, the desktop sound bit happens, so i know that the login is working.

after dealing with this a couple times, i decided to hit the esc button at prompt during boot. this showed me the different kernel versions, from 2.6.28-16 to 2.6.31-16. so far i have booted in 2.6.28-16 and .31-14 and everything has worked well, including the mice.

is there anyway to set the boot to an earlier kernel version so i dont have to manually? something is wrong with 2.6.31-16 (havent tested 31-15 yet). i am going to boot an earlier version and then update to .31-16 to see if it is just a bad update or if it is bad all together.
cheers

thalo
December 15th, 2009, 02:13 AM
well, i reinstalled the 31-16 update and things seem to be okay now. maybe it was a bad update earlier.

drs305
December 15th, 2009, 02:16 AM
is there anyway to set the boot to an earlier kernel version so i dont have to manually?

For future reference, you can change the default selection of GRUB 2 by editing /etc/default/grub. Here is a link on how to make some of the basic changes to the Grub menu. See #2:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302743

thalo
December 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM
thanks for the reference