PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fix for errno 5 i/o input output error on install

john615
December 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
so if you are installing ubuntu, and you get a weird errno 5 error-

what I did is just keep your finger dancing around the track pad or move the mouse while installing, I think there is a bug in the installer whereas it goes into sleep mode if there is no activity on the screen for some time.

this fix for me was on a evo n610c laptop

others talk about it here;
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600126

errno 5

"
The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error"

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

imran_khan_79
January 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
hi,

i am having the same Errno 5 at exactly 38 percent. I burned to CD/DVD to a SDHC Card Even to my USB hardisk. every time the same error. then i read at launchpad that by removing your RAM it should work, still didnt work for me. I have a HP Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 whether i switch on virtualization in the BIOS still the same result. it started off with me trying to install it with windows vista. crashed; lost all data for last 6 months. since then i've been trying to install it. furthermore i got myself a SUSE 10.3 and a Fedora 11... everyhting is fine in SUSE but when i want to check the integrity of the DVD it says there is no disc thats where it gets the whole setup started... while Fedora just shuts down the system during file copying. tried them all several times with, without RAMs. same results. ive been a windows user and finally got completely sick of it. now i cant get any linux on my laptop. all checks diagnostics are fine. and ubuntu works perfectly if run from the Live CD or the LIVE SD card is there anyone who can help me??

Thanks

kayakerlak
March 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
gotta agree with you, john615, I spent a lot of time recently retrying installation from the same disc (while waiting, searched for solutions posted, burning different CDs, blabla).

I noticed mine didn't fail to install at the same % place each time. My 4th install worked, from the same darn disc that failed before, not yet having tried the more wacky solutions out there (but prepared to.) All I did was maintain an occassional mouse waggle.

If anyone is strugglling with Errno 5 issues, I feel your pain, but try John's mambo #5 !