PDA

View Full Version : Is the 9.10 upgrade gfx problem a major failure?

haribol707
December 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well, it's been over six weeks now and there's a lot of noise and unrest regarding gfx drivers and blank screens with 9.10 upgrade. I think this is a major failure (correct me here). While it is not definitely the first time something like this has happened, it has also made me realize why msft is where it is today with every 'failed' release (read unpopular). I believe it is purely the scale of subscription that can make a problem appear really ugly. Imagine Win 7 release having a similar problem. It would have been worse than the famous blue screen of death! As the Linux distros, and more particularly Ubuntu, increase their install base, I am sure events such as this will result in severe backlashes, which would have otherwise created a flutter couple of years back. Your thoughts?

NoaHall
December 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It's been fine for me. But then again, I know how to do things right.

cariboo
December 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have to agree with NoaHall, I have Karmic installed on 3 different computers, HP laptop with an ATI chipset, a media center pc with an Intel chipset and a desktop with an Nvidia chipset. The only problem I've had is with proper monitor detection. The desktop system is connected to a kvm (http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch), I had to run nvidia-xconfig,and adjust the horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates, as I'm running a 20" crt. The media center pc is connected to a 32" HD LCD, it was detected properly, and I have full visual affects enabled. The laptop has an older ATI chipset that isn't supported any more, but runs at 1280X1024.

The laptop and media center pc were both upgrades.