PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of distros that still use KDE 3.5?

Pogeymanz
December 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I was just checking out PCLOS for my father-in-law (He likes Ubuntu just fine, but his brother-in-law uses PCLOS, so he is curious about that now).

It turns out, it still uses KDE 3.5.10, which kind of disappointed me, but I don't know why... I actually liked 3.5 and I still don't like 4.3, so I should be happy about that...

I guess I must have the kind of attitude where I just say "get over it and move on." I never knew that would bug me the way it just did, so I thought I'd share.

NoaHall
December 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
On PCLinuxOS you can update easily to 4.3, you know. I'm disappointed that it even uses KDE, but there you go.

RiceMonster
December 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'm disappointed that it even uses KDE, but there you go.

I bet it has such a negative effect on your life.

Grenage
December 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I'll wager he's probably at the cliff's edge as we speak.

It turns out, it still uses KDE 3.5.10, which kind of disappointed me, but I don't know why... I actually liked 3.5 and I still don't like 4.3, so I should be happy about that...

The latest isn't the greatest in everyone's eyes.

NoaHall
December 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Yep, just as much as 3.5 on the OP's life.

Pogeymanz
December 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The latest isn't the greatest in everyone's eyes.

Very true. I just think it's kind of funny that it bothered me. I think I probably just get nervous when software enters the "unsupported" bin.

NoaHall: Is 4.3 in the repos or is there just a 4.3 PPA? I'm not even going to bother since this isn't for me and my father-in-law would probably like 3.5 better anyway. I'm just curious.

Do a lot of people here still use 3.5?

EDIT:

Yep, just as much as 3.5 on the OP's life.

I hope you understand that I'm making fun of myself and not judging other people or distros. I merely reflected on my own reaction and wondered if others had some similar feelings.

Pogeymanz
December 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
EDIT: Double post, sorry.

~sHyLoCk~
December 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I miss KDE3.x. It was good,stable and less buggy. KDE4.3.1 has been quite stable for me till now though.

EDIT: I still use Gnome 2.16 in centOS. :P

NoaHall
December 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Very true. I just think it's kind of funny that it bothered me. I think I probably just get nervous when software enters the "unsupported" bin.

NoaHall: Is 4.3 in the repos or is there just a 4.3 PPA? I'm not even going to bother since this isn't for me and my father-in-law would probably like 3.5 better anyway. I'm just curious.

Do a lot of people here still use 3.5?

EDIT:

I hope you understand that I'm making fun of myself and not judging other people or distros. I merely reflected on my own reaction and wondered if others had some similar feelings.

As far as I can remember it's in the default repos(or at least, I think). It's been a while since I've used it, but I remember their 4.3 implementation was okay.

squilookle
December 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I loved using kde 3, and have happy memories of it now. However, kde 4 has been out for a while and is now fairly mature, even slackware moved over.

I wouldn't expect to start a recent release of a distro up and be greeted by kde3. if I did find that I wouldn't install, I'd find anorher distro with either more up to day, or lighter software.

adeypoop
December 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't expect to start a recent release of a distro up and be greeted by kde3. if I did find that I wouldn't install, I'd find anorher distro with either more up to day, or lighter software.

+1 for that, gotta move with the times

XubuRoxMySox
December 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
The newest Mepis (Debian Lenny based) Beta uses 4.3, and the current release uses 3.5, upgradeable to 4.3

-Robin