PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Fixing Alsa Settings

lukereimer
December 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi there,

After a kernel upgrade my sound was super-low volume, so I used some threads in the forum to play with my alsa settings to try and get it right.

Now I have no sound, and my Ubuntu does not recognize any sound card hardware or drivers.

I've tried to use: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting to get it back to normal, but my files do not contain the same information listed in that document.

When trying to reset Alsa settings in the terminal, I get errors like "none loaded, none to reload". I just want sound!

Is there any way to totally reset the sound card recognition and drivers as if it were a fresh install?

Thanks
Luke
Ubuntu 9.10, Desktop

alexfish
December 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi

Are you using 1: Pulse Audio

lukereimer
December 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean (sorry, I'm a medium-level ubuntu user).

In sound preferences, it shows no hardware for me to use (whereas before there was a piece of hardware listed that I could set up settings for).

alexfish
December 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean (sorry, I'm a medium-level ubuntu user).

In sound preferences, it shows no hardware for me to use (whereas before there was a piece of hardware listed that I could set up settings for).

Hi
have a look here it will show you how to set up Pulse Audio The easy way //But don't install any Video software yet

5.1 Sound (Pulse Audio Sound Server) Ubuntu 9.10 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1353851)

Then post me a private message if you need help on that site //or help here if your sorted

alexfish

To send a private message click on my name to the left

lukereimer
December 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Alexfish, but I already had the vlc-pulse plugin installed. I marked it for reinstallation, still nothing.

Under my audio preferences, it shows nothing for hardware, and under output it says "Dummy Output (stereo)".

Wouldn't any third-party (such as the pulse plugin) audio control programs still need recognition of the sound card hardware and its basic use? I believe that's what I'm still missing.

Thanks so much,
Luke