PDA

View Full Version : HULU desktop for Ubuntu linux works great

sdowney717
December 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have been playing with it and it full screens on my TV from the computer.
I have not noticed any playback issues yet.
A deb package is available and I am using it with karmic.

LowSky
December 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
It plays pretty bad on mine. It seems to flicker, must be a frame rate issue.

Using Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit (using 64bit Flash, probably the issue)
Phenom II x4 B50 @3.1Ghz (unlocked Phenom II x2 550)
4Gb DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 8600GTusing the recommended proprietary driver.

juancarlospaco
December 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I need a volenteer to SSH them, mine says "USA only"
:)

Excedio
December 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Works great here too. It's too bad they are considering moving away from a free service... :-|

sdowney717
December 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
i read that the free service will continue and only premium content will be paid for. I read that the premium content will be items not currently carried by Hulu. meaning what you get now will stay free.
So then perhaps some recent movies will cost.

it is working pretty good, but i maximized the screen on the TV, and i cant get it unmaximized. ESC key does not unmaximize. Anyone know how to restore to a small window>?

Octagonal
April 24th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I know this thread is pretty old at this point but figured I'd respond to the last question anyways as I didn't see this addressed in any other hulu thread.
You can edit the ~/.huludesktop text file and set fullscreen = FALSE
to have it not open to full screen mode at startup. Also, one additional point that helped me alot was by changing the width and height to a very small number (width = 128 and height = 72). Then set the file permissions on this file to READ ONLY (so the hulu app doesn't change this once it starts). I'm able to dynamicall resize the hulu-desktop window in Windowed mode. Not sure why it's not allowed normally but now I can have it only take up a small part of my desktop.

Luke has no name
April 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Funny, I just got an error message from Hulu (when trying to watch Dilbert, haha) saying

We're sorry but we're unable to stream videos to your system. This may be due to an Adobe Software limitation on 64-bit Linux systems.

Pfft. More like "No DRM" or something like that. If Youtube and Vimeo can do it, then Hulu COULD if they wanted to.

Chronon
April 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Try Hulu Desktop. I am using it just fine in Ubuntu on x86_64. Also, I was getting that message for several weeks but it seems I am able to stream from the website currently too.

mrebanza
January 1st, 2011, 07:55 AM
Funny, I just got an error message from Hulu (when trying to watch Dilbert, haha) saying

Pfft. More like "No DRM" or something like that. If Youtube and Vimeo can do it, then Hulu COULD if they wanted to.

that is actually due to them trying to stop streaming on Google TV . . . if you open firefox Hulu.com will work fine.

Kalimol
January 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
My Hulu Desktop is claiming I don't have Flash. Works fine on the website.

murderslastcrow
January 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
It runs pretty well, but I have noticed it's one of the only Linux programs that requires 2 GB of RAM to run, outside of games. Most programs are 256 MB of RAM to run, even many games. For that, I would rather watch it online, since it's closed source, anyway.

Also, there are programs with HULU plugins that are probably better suited for the task. All I'm saying is that they could definitely reduce the requirements, here. No need for that interface to chew up so much RAM. A good video card for the HD video is an obvious requirement, though.

oldos2er
January 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
My Hulu Desktop is claiming I don't have Flash. Works fine on the website.

Edit ~/.huludesktop with the correct location of libflashplayer.so

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
I really like the desktop app. A bit smoother to navigate through than the website

Dubbayoo
July 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM
I like the desktop app. A little quirky but I'm glad to have it considering the poor Linux support of other companies like Netflix.

Bandit
July 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM
I know this thread is a little old. But still relevant for those who may have missed it like myself. I just installed the 64bit deb from Hulus sight and I think its a very nice piece of software. Fixing to see how it performs but here is a screen shot of it on my desktop..